Starting Quarterback | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My gut feeling after today's scrimmage is Welliver should to be in the top 2 on the depth chart. He's a tall kid, has a strong arm, poise in the pocket, he put up huge numbers in high school & racked up all-state honors...(in Texas!). His potential is massive. What are we doing if we don't get this kid some playing time this year?
Winning

Reaction Score
My gut feeling after today's scrimmage is Welliver should to be in the top 2 on the depth chart. He's a tall kid, has a strong arm, poise in the pocket, he put up huge numbers in high school & racked up all-state honors...(in Texas!). His potential is massive. What are we doing if we don't get this kid some playing time this year?
We'd be taking a risk of him being 0 for 1 or 1 and done. But that's a risk anyway. You'd rather at least know what his potential is if he's even in practice with the other guys. And I'm generally against a true frosh QB unless he really shows poise and we have a line that can protect. But both may be true.

Reaction Score
I would've liked to see Welliver against the 1st team defense. The first team defense overwhelmed the first team offense in general, it would've been nice to have a more direct comparison, as the second team offense generally could move the ball against the second team defense

Reaction Score
I would've liked to see Welliver against the 1st team defense. The first team defense overwhelmed the first team offense in general, it would've been nice to have a more direct comparison, as the second team offense generally could move the ball against the second team defense
Was interesting (and maybe telling) that Mora didn’t put him against the first team. He looked far and away the qb with the best best decision making and arm talent. Tough to draw conclusions from one practice but if this is the theme throughout the summer, not sure how he’s not the guy starting week 1. Hopefully was just a bad day for the presumptive QB1.

Reaction Score
With Evers dinged up that could result in Welliver getting more reps with the 1s giving him a chance to make a case.

In that event I hope he does exactly that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the decision were made today, I think it would be Fagnano against Maryland. It wouldn't surprise me if Welliver was number two on the depth chart.

There's time for someone in the QB room to separate themselves from the pack. Hopefully that happens.

Reaction Score
If the decision were made today, I think it would be Fagnano against Maryland. It wouldn't surprise me if Welliver was number two on the depth chart.

There's time for someone in the QB room to separate themselves from the pack. Hopefully that happens.

It makes sense to start Fagnano vs Maryland even if Welliver is perceived to have the highest ceiling as a passer. Starting a true freshman vs Maryland when we will be a huge underdog makes little sense.

Reaction Score
It makes sense to start Fagnano vs Maryland even if Welliver is perceived to have the highest ceiling as a passer. Starting a true freshman vs Maryland when we will be a huge underdog makes little sense.
I dunno. Why not give him the chance in that situation. Not much expectations means room for something to happen.

I'm not the coach. I'd side to whatever leads to long haul benefit and best choice for player psychology

Reaction Score
I agree but, unless Fagnano really impresses at Maryland, I can see a switch to Welliver (or Evers if he earns it in practice) for the home game against Merrimack.

Reaction Score
Why do we dance around with kid gloves?. These are high level athletes. Put the best QB out there. You dont "give up" an opportunity because we are a big underdog. Unfortunately I was traveling yesterday but consensus seems Welliver played best. If that is what is happening every day in practice there is no choice. Especially in this day and age. That said I will leave it to those who see things every day.

Reaction Score
Define "never had." Given that he did make a few cameos as a true freshman.

P never gave Nebrich meaningful minutes even after Trick Shot lost game after game.

There is only one way to judge a QB. It's how they play when the lights are on. It hard for coaches to deal with the fact that practice can be a mirage. That is why Bill Parcells, one of the great coaches of his generation, started Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms.

Until we see these guys play in a game -- nothing means nothing.

Reaction Score
P never gave Nebrich meaningful minutes even after Trick Shot lost game after game.

There is only one way to judge a QB. It's how they play when the lights are on. It hard for coaches to deal with the fact that practice can be a mirage. That is why Bill Parcells, one of the great coaches of his generation, started Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms.

Until we see these guys play in a game -- nothing means nothing.
Pasquaoni was way past his time and a coward.

I don't know if it's best to throw a guy into the fire but I'm good if coach is good

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree but, unless Fagnano really impresses at Maryland, I can see a switch to Welliver (or Evers if he earns it in practice) for the home game against Merrimack.
Which is almost a little unfair to Fagnano, but that's my guess as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
P handed all decisions on offense, including personnel to GDL. GDL decided before seeing any of them (even in a practice) that a few players (including Nebrich) has no place in his offense.

Enough on the past

If i were in charge today I would not consider playing Welliver against Maryland until we are convinced that the offensive line can play at a competent level.

Reaction Score
Did anyone make an assessment of downfield passing capability. Were there enough drills of that type run so that you could tell?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did anyone make an assessment of downfield passing capability. Were there enough drills of that type run so that you could tell?
The event was more of a scrimmage than drills.

Reaction Score
The event was more of a scrimmage than drills.
Even better. Any relevant data? Welliver going against 3s suggests he is not gonna start. On the other hand it may be a case of coaching misdirection.

Reaction Score
P handed all decisions on offense, including personnel to GDL. GDL decided before seeing any of them (even in a practice) that a few players (including Nebrich) has no place in his offense.

Enough on the past

If i were in charge today I would not consider playing Welliver against Maryland until we are convinced that the offensive line can play at a competent level.
Why did Robbie Frey not return. zzz

Reaction Score
We have brought in a few high level WRs and had some good young ones (Harper, Hicks) on our roster plus the vet Buckman. If we are going to play with a team like Maryland we need to do more than throw dump offs and screens. Accurate downfield throws are essential to having a good offense. The QB has to see things quickly and not try and figure out what he is seeing. If we start the freshman so be it. It is about the best passer not what class he is in.

Reaction Score
Which is almost a little unfair to Fagnano, but that's my guess as well.
I'd say that's pretty unfair. A guy proves it to you, you run with him. Now, I suspect that won't happen but if fagnano beats maryland or comes close he starts over all uninjured players

Reaction Score
I'd say that's pretty unfair. A guy proves it to you, you run with him. Now, I suspect that won't happen but if fagnano beats maryland or comes close he starts over all uninjured players
It would be a tough challenge for Fagnano but I don’t think it’s unfair. If he proves it to you, yes you continue to run with him. And if he gets the start against Maryland, he gets the chance to prove it.
But if his play is mediocre, I don’t think they’ll hesitate to give other guys a chance to show what they can do.

Reaction Score

Enough on the past

P was an idiot for letting GDL go with trick shot artist Johnny McEntee, instead of Nebrich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom