Starting Quarterback | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nebrich lives!!!!!!!! Unbelievable.

It was sad to see him leave but my god does anyone remember when he got in games here - he was overwhelmed and not the ready.

But let’s let the legend live.

Reaction Score
If Welliver is best, start him at Maryland. We don’t have time to jerk around “strategizing” for down the road. Let’s just try to beat Maryland. If they bury us, let’s try to win the next one. If we are gonna hold out our best players against our best opponents, let’s not play good teams.

We brought in some talent on offense. In order for them to shine, they need a QB.

Reaction Score
Nebrich lives!!!!!!!! Unbelievable.

It was sad to see him leave but my god does anyone remember when he got in games here - he was overwhelmed and not the ready.

But let’s let the legend live.
Nebrich was a very good QB, had loads more potential than McEntee could ever have. Nebrich would have been the starting QB if Joe Moorehead hadn’t been demoted from OC to qb’s coach, when GDL was brought in. Moorhead knew the potential that Nebrich had. McEntee was 2011’s version of Fagnano.

Reaction Score
P never gave Nebrich meaningful minutes even after Trick Shot lost game after game.

There is only one way to judge a QB. It's how they play when the lights are on. It hard for coaches to deal with the fact that practice can be a mirage. That is why Bill Parcells, one of the great coaches of his generation, started Scott Brunner ahead of Phil Simms.

Until we see these guys play in a game -- nothing means nothing.
Nebrich killed it at Fordham. In hindsight, I think he might very well have done pretty well here too. Better than Trick shot.

Reaction Score
Nebrich killed it at Fordham. In hindsight, I think he might very well have done pretty well here too. Better than Trick shot.
He would have, but he needed time to develop. He wasn’t ready when he got in. However, just like with Welliver now, if he had the potential, we should have played him. Nebrich was a better QB prospect than Johny Mac ever could have been. Why play Johny? I would have rather let Nebrich take his lumps in retrospect.

I don’t want to make the mistake of holding off on playing talent in the age of the portal. It’s a huge mistake. You will lose players that way. You also run the risk of losing coaches who then steal players like Welliver because they know he’s good. Just play him.

Reaction Score
If Welliver is best, start him at Maryland. We don’t have time to jerk around “strategizing” for down the road.
I disagree, strategizing for the entire 2024 season is what we should be doing. I'm still mad that Carter got injured for the season in a joke of a game versus Michigan. Will Welliver even have time to throw the ball versus Maryland? and can our WR's get open? I'd prefer to see Welliver get his feet wet in game 2. I agree with the previous poster, throwing a true freshman QB "into the fire" in August would be asinine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
P handed all decisions on offense, including personnel to GDL. GDL decided before seeing any of them (even in a practice) that a few players (including Nebrich) has no place in his offense.

Enough on the past

If i were in charge today I would not consider playing Welliver against Maryland until we are convinced that the offensive line can play at a competent level.
It's all about the o-line.

Reaction Score
He would have, but he needed time to develop. He wasn’t ready when he got in. However, just like with Welliver now, if he had the potential, we should have played him. Nebrich was a better QB prospect than Johny Mac ever could have been. Why play Johny? I would have rather let Nebrich take his lumps in retrospect.

I don’t want to make the mistake of holding off on playing talent in the age of the portal. It’s a huge mistake. You will lose players that way. You also run the risk of losing coaches who then steal players like Welliver because they know he’s good. Just play him.
Our offensive line sucked. We had some weird GDL passive scheme where everybody looked confused. Zero forward push. No QB can show anything without a decent OL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd say that's pretty unfair. A guy proves it to you, you run with him. Now, I suspect that won't happen but if fagnano beats maryland or comes close he starts over all uninjured players
Oh, I fully agree if he leads the team to win against Maryland, he's our guy. I'm not particularly confident that will happen, however.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our offensive line sucked. We had some weird GDL passive scheme where everybody looked confused. Zero forward push. No QB can show anything without a decent OL.
Receivers that can get separation and, well, catch balls that hit them in the numbers also can be helpful, or so I've heard.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of it but in listening to some who did go, I would put Welliver in there and see what he can do. Remember he played in Texas, which is one of the top two or three high school football states in the country.

Reaction Score
I’m all for playing the best players… but QBs need to be ready. Throw them into the fire too early and you can ruin them. We don’t need another Tim Boyle situation.
We didn’t have Jim Mora as head coach when Boyle came to Storrs. Coaching played a role in the Boyle story. As it turned out Boyle is still playing for the Texans, last I checked.

Reaction Score
We didn’t have Jim Mora as head coach when Boyle came to Storrs. Coaching played a role in the Boyle story. As it turned out Boyle is still playing for the Texans, last I checked.
Yes, and I’m happy he’s managed to have a nice NFL career, but he threw 1 TD to 11 INTs as a Husky and eventually transferred out. Obviously not ideal. My point is, I’d like to be sure he’s ready for the moment. Kid played HS ball in Texas, vs Boyle playing here, so the point is probably moot - but I don’t want to ruin a kid because the team is bad or the line is bad and we thought, “why not?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
A serious program would have made McEntee walk home from Nashville.
I went to that game and thought we had lost it, then won it and then that "duck and throw" interception that cost the game. Believe Nebrich was given one series and went 3 and out and never got back in.

Reaction Score
P was an idiot for letting GDL go with trick shot artist Johnny McEntee, instead of Nebrich.
I was a big Nebrich fan too. The center at the time was going out with Johnny's sister. He never gave Nebrich a decent snap in the shotgun. That should have immediately raised red flags, but no. And then Nebrich missed a wide open receiver for a sure TD when the receiver stopped running hard. I don't think he ever got another passing snap again.

Reaction Score
I was a big Nebrich fan too. The center at the time was going out with Johnny's sister. He never gave Nebrich a decent snap in the shotgun. That should have immediately raised red flags, but no. And then Nebrich missed a wide open receiver for a sure TD when the receiver stopped running hard. I don't think he ever got another passing snap again.
The blame for all of that should’ve fallen squarely on Pee-Pee’s shoulders.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I’m happy he’s managed to have a nice NFL career, but he threw 1 TD to 11 INTs as a Husky and eventually transferred out. Obviously not ideal. My point is, I’d like to be sure he’s ready for the moment. Kid played HS ball in Texas, vs Boyle playing here, so the point is probably moot - but I don’t want to ruin a kid because the team is bad or the line is bad and we thought, “why not?”
Well all I can say is Coach Paul Pasqualoni and his sidekick GDL, really knew how to develop promising young quarterbacks. :eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to that game and thought we had lost it, then won it and then that "duck and throw" interception that cost the game. Believe Nebrich was given one series and went 3 and out and never got back in.
I was there. For hoop as well, a crushing defeat on the road you witness in person stays with you much longer. If we don't blow that game, we get a bowl bid and the momentum doesn't come to a screeching halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom