South Carolina Transfers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Transfers

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I keep looking at the SC roster and while I know they have a really good crop of recruits coming in, they have Ty Harris (stud), MH-H (good, but inconsistent) and then Destinni Henderson who was good as a freshman. These 3 accounted for 26 points a game. I just find it hard to believe this team can really contend for the SEC title even with the SEC being down even more than this year. I see Texas A&M then MSU. Maybe Arkansas and Tennessee with SC battling them.

Reaction Score
I keep looking at the SC roster and while I know they have a really good crop of recruits coming in, they have Ty Harris (stud), MH-H (good, but inconsistent) and then Destinni Henderson who was good as a freshman. These 3 accounted for 26 points a game. I just find it hard to believe this team can really contend for the SEC title even with the SEC being down even more than this year. I see Texas A&M then MSU. Maybe Arkansas and Tennessee with SC battling them.

Agreed, unless some of their current players make big offensive strides and they get consistent, solid play from some freshman they're going to have a hard time. Harris is a great PG, but she can't carry a team scoring. She shoots under 40% from the field and only 30% from 3.

Unless Boston is ready to go fully as a freshman they're going to be undersized in the post. I know everyone says she's fantastic, but post play in the SEC is no joke, very rare that you see a Freshman come in who can compete in the post immediately. The speed of the game is so much different and she'll likely have foul problems like most young players.

Reaction Score
I think their post play will be just fine, probably the best or second best in the league Jessika Carter looked solid in her minutes, didn't play much because she was playing behind McCowan. She was efficient from the floor though and had the second most blocks on the team only playing 10 minutes per game.

Promise Taylor is going to be good as well. She looked very solid as a freshman at Ole Miss, I suspect she is going to look like a totally different player after sitting last season and practicing against McCowan every day. Johnnie Harris does a fantastic job of developing their post players. She already has great touch, coming off the bench as a freshman she shot 60% from the floor and pulled in 6 boards a game.

Did you say Carter is the best in the league? She has potential but she’s far from the best post in the league. You just lost the little credibility you had lol

Reaction Score
Did you say Carter is the best in the league? She has potential but she’s far from the best post in the league. You just lost the little credibility you had lol

No, not as an individual, just in general I believe that MSST as a team will have the best or second best post play. Sorry, that was confusing. I do believe Promise Taylor could potentially be the best post player in the league next season though.

Reaction Score

You forgot Saxton who was also on the SEC All Freshman team with Destanni. Don’t sleep on her, she will wake a lot of people up this year. Henderson and Saxton will make sophomore leaps that will offset what was lost. Add in the freshman who will get plenty of minutes and you have a squad that definitely can win a SEC championship. They only lost 3 games this year with an inconsistent squad. I imagine the team next year will be much more talented and disciplined.

Reaction Score
Agreed, unless some of their current players make big offensive strides and they get consistent, solid play from some freshman they're going to have a hard time. Harris is a great PG, but she can't carry a team scoring. She shoots under 40% from the field and only 30% from 3.

Unless Boston is ready to go fully as a freshman they're going to be undersized in the post. I know everyone says she's fantastic, but post play in the SEC is no joke, very rare that you see a Freshman come in who can compete in the post immediately. The speed of the game is so much different and she'll likely have foul problems like most young players.

Harris won’t have to carry the team in scoring but she’s very capable scorer when needed. I expect HH and Henderson’s averages to go way up. More touches for both of them, and both are good scorers. Cooke and Beal will provide scoring as well don’t sleep on them.

As for post play Boston will likely start and will be just fine. She’s built to be an SEC center and will be a double double machine. Alaina Coates was good as a freshman and so was A’ja and I expect Aliyah to be good as well. She has help as well with Saxton, Grissett, and Amihere. I wouldn’t say that group will be undersized at all.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You forgot Saxton who was also on the SEC All Freshman team with Destanni. Don’t sleep on her, she will wake a lot of people up this year. Henderson and Saxton will make sophomore leaps that will offset what was lost. Add in the freshman who will get plenty of minutes and you have a squad that definitely can win a SEC championship. They only lost 3 games this year with an inconsistent squad. I imagine the team next year will be much more talented and disciplined.

What number was Saxton? #5 ?

Reaction Score

I'm cautious in my expectations for my team, but you knock USC for limited returning production and then annoint miss state? How does that work?

Reaction Score
Harris won’t have to carry the team in scoring but she’s very capable scorer when needed. I expect HH and Henderson’s averages to go way up. More touches for both of them, and both are good scorers. Cooke and Beal will provide scoring as well don’t sleep on them.

As for post play Boston will likely start and will be just fine. She’s built to be an SEC center and will be a double double machine. Alaina Coates was good as a freshman and so was A’ja and I expect Aliyah to be good as well. She has help as well with Saxton, Grissett, and Amihere. I wouldn’t say that group will be undersized at all.

Whole bunch of unknowns in every situation you described. I respect your opinion, but I'm never one to put my eggs in the basket of a bunch of freshman. You don't know what you have until they're on the floor playing.

None of the players you mentioned have proven they can score at a high level in college. Doesn't mean that can't change over the next several months. HH is probably going to be their best option and she only averaged 10 points and was third on the team in minutes played and shot attempts. They're going to have to step up big time though.

Reaction Score

Also, sorry for the second post, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that both Aja and Alaina were hometown girls and Dawn had access to them from an early age which no doubt had an impact on their ability as freshman. They were already very familiar with Dawn, her system and had received coaching from her from about 8th grade on. She didn't have the same advantage with Boston.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm cautious in my expectations for my team, but you knock USC for limited returning production and then annoint miss state? How does that work?
I didn’t annoint MSU, if I annointed anyone it was Texas A&M. I also did not “knock” SC as they are young and talented and I have them near the top but again, asking freshman to contribute at the level you are assuming is a lot to ask. I struggle to think of any freshman dominated team that has strongly contended for a P5 title. I am not saying it has not happened but it is not a foregone conclusion.

Reaction Score
Whole bunch of unknowns in every situation you described. I respect your opinion, but I'm never one to put my eggs in the basket of a bunch of freshman. You don't know what you have until they're on the floor playing.

None of the players you mentioned have proven they can score at a high level in college. Doesn't mean that can't change over the next several months. HH is probably going to be their best option and she only averaged 10 points and was third on the team in minutes played and shot attempts. They're going to have to step up big time though.

How is it a unknown? Harris is the active assist leader in the SEC, Herbert Harrigan was 3rd in blocked shots and both Henderson and Saxton made all freshman team. Both Harris and HH showed they can score when they have to and so have Henderson and Saxton. They all have proven they can score at this level. It’s also obvious to me you have seen any of the SC recruits play. They’re the #1 class for a reason and they will contribute. Never did I say the team will lean on them heavily from day one. But I do expect them to play a lot and contribute.

Reaction Score
How is it a unknown? Harris is the active assist leader in the SEC, Herbert Harrigan was 3rd in blocked shots and both Henderson and Saxton made all freshman team. Both Harris and HH showed they can score when they have to and so have Henderson and Saxton. They all have proven they can score at this level. It’s also obvious to me you have seen any of the SC recruits play. They’re the #1 class for a reason and they will contribute. Never did I say the team will lean on them heavily from day one. But I do expect them to play a lot and contribute.

It's unknown because not a single one of them has yet proven they can score consistently at a high level. That's a fact. Those other qualities are great, but SC is going to have to find someone to put points on the board night in and night out next season or they are going to struggle.

Reaction Score
It's unknown because not a single one of them has yet proven they can score consistently at a high level. That's a fact. Those other qualities are great, but SC is going to have to find someone to put points on the board night in and night out next season or they are going to struggle.

Well I guess they’ll have to prove you wrong just like everyone else. Don’t worry SC will be more than fine, there are tons of teams that has to find ways to put points on the board or they will struggle. Dawn will have her team ready in November believe that. She wasn’t satisfied at all how they finished the year. Guarantee that will change next year.

Since we’re already on this topic, how will your team fare next year in the PAC? Remain at the bottom or rise up? Hmmmm...

Reaction Score
Well I guess they’ll have to prove you wrong just like everyone else. Don’t worry SC will be more than fine, there are tons of teams that has to find ways to put points on the board or they will struggle. Dawn will have her team ready in November believe that. She wasn’t satisfied at all how they finished the year. Guarantee that will change next year.

Since we’re already on this topic, how will your team fare next year in the PAC? Remain at the bottom or rise up? Hmmmm...

That's literally exactly what I'm saying, they're going to have to prove it. At this point there is nothing coming back for South Carolina that screams "success." They have some good looking individuals pieces, but that's it.

CU also isn't my team, that's just my screen name lol.

Reaction Score
That's literally exactly what I'm saying, they're going to have to prove it. At this point there is nothing coming back for South Carolina that screams "success." They have some good looking individuals pieces, but that's it.

CU also isn't my team, that's just my screen name lol.

Really? Harris and HH has won a national championship and 2 SEC championships, that’s not success?

Reaction Score
Also, sorry for the second post, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that both Aja and Alaina were hometown girls and Dawn had access to them from an early age which no doubt had an impact on their ability as freshman. They were already very familiar with Dawn, her system and had received coaching from her from about 8th grade on. She didn't have the same advantage with Boston.

Why do you think Dawn Staley was "coaching" local recruits from 8th grade?

That's not really how that works.

Reaction Score
To get this straight, you think that Wilson and Coates were more successful players at South Carolina because they attended summer camp there?

What exactly do you think they do there?
Oh heck no. I thought the issue was whether coaches form relationships with potential recruits, but that's what I get for jumping in on a conversation without following the thread of the discussion.

Reaction Score
Oh heck no. I thought the issue was whether coaches form relationships with potential recruits, but that's what I get for jumping in on a conversation without following the thread of the discussion.

Sorry, I didn't even notice that you were not the poster I originally quoted.

I think that poster is overestimating the impact of Dawn Staley summer camp as to boosting freshman performance.

Sort of a tangential thing to argue about, but hey...

Reaction Score

I didn’t respond because I didn’t feel like explaining the obvious to someone who is clearly reactionary. Dawn no doubt formed relationships with them, coached them at summer camps etc. I also believe both girls’ primary coach in HS was their father. You can’t tell me she wasn’t giving them subtle hints about what to have them work on after watching them play. I have no problem with it, just obvious that she had more access to those two in particular than she would have other recruits. I do believe that played a part in their readiness for college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom