South Carolina Transfers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Transfers

Reaction Score
I didn’t respond because I didn’t feel like explaining the obvious to someone who is clearly reactionary. Dawn no doubt formed relationships with them, coached them at summer camps etc. I also believe both girls’ primary coach in HS was their father. You can’t tell me she wasn’t giving them subtle hints about what to have them work on after watching them play. I have no problem with it, just obvious that she had more access to those two in particular than she would have other recruits. I do believe that played a part in their readiness for college.

Well if that’s the case Talaysia Cooper and Ashlyn Watkins should be shoe ins to come in ready to play at South Carolina huh?

Reaction Score
Karisma Ortiz has a visit set for South Carolina, not sure where she would fit in.

Transfer News, April 2019

She would fit in quite well at the 2 or 3 as there would be plenty of playing time with Cuevas-Moore, Jackson, Cooper, Cliney and Perry gone. Her stats wasn’t impressive but she was a true freshman playing on a very weak team in a weak conference. She really impressed me her senior year of high school. It was many times where she looked like the best player on the court (even better than Haley). I’m still interested to see how Dawn can mold her if she ends up in Columbia. Definitely something to watch for.

Reaction Score
Agreed, unless some of their current players make big offensive strides and they get consistent, solid play from some freshman they're going to have a hard time. Harris is a great PG, but she can't carry a team scoring. She shoots under 40% from the field and only 30% from 3.

Unless Boston is ready to go fully as a freshman they're going to be undersized in the post. I know everyone says she's fantastic, but post play in the SEC is no joke, very rare that you see a Freshman come in who can compete in the post immediately. The speed of the game is so much different and she'll likely have foul problems like most young players.

Harris will prolly hit 1k points by 4th game of season if not sooner. You dont just fall on 1000 points, especially being 5th option fresh year, 3rd option soph & 2nd/3rd option past yr.

Reaction Score
Harris will prolly hit 1k points by 4th game of season if not sooner. You dont just fall on 1000 points, especially being 5th option fresh year, 3rd option soph & 2nd/3rd option past yr.

She’ll also have over 600 assists, 200 steals, and 350 rebounds. Not to mention the fact that she’s improved every year and was top 10 in A/TO ratio last year. Some “fans” just don’t want to see these ladies level up until they prove them wrong!

Reaction Score
She’ll also have over 600 assists, 200 steals, and 350 rebounds. Not to mention the fact that she’s improved every year and was top 10 in A/TO ratio last year. Some “fans” just don’t want to see these ladies level up until they prove them wrong!

Been waiting for Harris to score a bit more, but she's had a very good career and is a primary reason South Carolina should be in the mix for the SEC title next season. Will leave as all time assist leader at South Carolina, likely first team SEC next year, dark horse All America candidate.

Reaction Score
I didn’t respond because I didn’t feel like explaining the obvious to someone who is clearly reactionary. Dawn no doubt formed relationships with them, coached them at summer camps etc. I also believe both girls’ primary coach in HS was their father. You can’t tell me she wasn’t giving them subtle hints about what to have them work on after watching them play. I have no problem with it, just obvious that she had more access to those two in particular than she would have other recruits. I do believe that played a part in their readiness for college.

What about Kelsey Bone, a Texas native, who averaged 14 and 9 as a true freshman under Dawn Staley?

It's a pretty simple equation for Boston. She's a very filled out 6'5 or 6'6 who has played very well at a very high level of competition.

She's highly likely to get a lot of minutes and it's highly likely she is going to be very productive with them just like similar players have been under Dawn Staley.

I don't have a sense of how many points she will score, but I suspect her rebounding prowess and Staley's inclination to go inside out, will lend buckets. I've seen enough internationally and on the all star circuit to guess she'll be able to convert at point blank range at a pretty good clip.

She might fall short of the other three, but I think she'll be close. She's a similarly rated talent after all. Higher rated than Coates.

I don't think any of the freshmen are going to be the stars of the team, but I do think it's reasonable to expect contributions from several.

Reaction Score
What about Kelsey Bone, a Texas native, who averaged 14 and 9 as a true freshman under Dawn Staley?

It's a pretty simple equation for Boston. She's a very filled out 6'5 or 6'6 who has played very well at a very high level of competition.

She's highly likely to get a lot of minutes and it's highly likely she is going to be very productive with them just like similar players have been under Dawn Staley.

I don't have a sense of how many points she will score, but I suspect her rebounding prowess and Staley's inclination to go inside out, will lend buckets. I've seen enough internationally and on the all star circuit to guess she'll be able to convert at point blank range at a pretty good clip.

She might fall short of the other three, but I think she'll be close. She's a similarly rated talent after all. Higher rated than Coates.

I don't think any of the freshmen are going to be the stars of the team, but I do think it's reasonable to expect contributions from several.

Bone's situation is entirely different. They were still in a rebuilding period and she got a lot of touches as a young player. She also transferred to A&M after that one season at SC. SC was 14-15 that season, she had a nice season individually, but it certainly didn't help her team much. Once she was on a more balanced team at A&M her numbers decreased.

My whole point in these posts is: you have no idea what you have with a freshman, until you have them. You SC fans acting like this incoming class is the second coming of crack me up. Based on SCs track record half will transfer anyway. A couple of them might be stars, but every season we see top rated players coming out of high school that don't pan out. The transition to the college game isn't easy and often times I'm surprised by the players that end up struggling at the next level.

Reaction Score
Well if that’s the case Talaysia Cooper and Ashlyn Watkins should be shoe ins to come in ready to play at South Carolina huh?

Very possibly, why wouldn't they be? It is very much an advantage to have top rated recruits right in your back yard. Just like Aja and Alaina.

Reaction Score
Bone's situation is entirely different. They were still in a rebuilding period and she got a lot of touches as a young player. She also transferred to A&M after that one season at SC. SC was 14-15 that season, she had a nice season individually, but it certainly didn't help her team much. Once she was on a more balanced team at A&M her numbers decreased.

My whole point in these posts is: you have no idea what you have with a freshman, until you have them. You SC fans acting like this incoming class is the second coming of crack me up. Based on SCs track record half will transfer anyway. A couple of them might be stars, but every season we see top rated players coming out of high school that don't pan out. The transition to the college game isn't easy and often times I'm surprised by the players that end up struggling at the next level.

Nothing is certain, but Bone is as good a bet to be a very productive player as a freshman as there is anywhere in the country this season.

I'm not sure exactly how you rationalized Bone's freshman season not counting to yourself. It makes no sense to me.

But if Bone only put up the 11 and 7 that was more realistic in your view than actual reality then that would be well within my parameters of a good freshman season for Bone. Good chance that's all conference. She could land short of that and I think that would be a very good contribution. Not sure what exactly you think I'm predicting out of her.

I've never claimed that any of the freshmen would be stars. In fact, I specifically said that I believed the opposite. I do think it is reasonable to expect some contribution from top 10 players though.

I think South Carolina is appropriately rated in the 8-14 range and I think they certainly come into the season with aspirations to contend for the SEC title. It doesn't bother me if they aren't the favorite. I think they're in the mix and we will see from there. SEC doesn't look particularly strong next season, but we'll just have to see it play out.

Reaction Score

No one ever said we expected them to be world beaters from day one.What I’m trying to understand from you is how is it that Bone had a good freshman season on a terrible SC team but Boston isn’t to be expected as good because she didn’t attend any camps or is unfamiliar with SC’s system? You do realize Dawns system features posts right? I’m sure Aliyah is very aware of the situation she will be in at SC.

I’m also trying to figure out how you think they will transfer simply because players have transferred in the past. If you look at that “track” record 95% of the players who transferred weren’t even players who received valuable playing time. The lone exception was Cooper. There’s no reason to believe any of this freshman class should transfer considering they all play different positions and will see plenty of court time.

Considering how fond you are of Miss St (judging from your posts) it doesn’t surprise me that you don’t think this class will pan out, or contribute. Which is fair in the fact that you aren’t the only one who has doubts. But I can definitely assure you SC fans aren’t running around screaming we are the team to beat now that we have this #1 class. We do feel like these players will play their roles well and can help us achieve another SEC title.

Reaction Score
No one ever said we expected them to be world beaters from day one.What I’m trying to understand from you is how is it that Bone had a good freshman season on a terrible SC team but Boston isn’t to be expected as good because she didn’t attend any camps or is unfamiliar with SC’s system? You do realize Dawns system features posts right? I’m sure Aliyah is very aware of the situation she will be in at SC.

I’m also trying to figure out how you think they will transfer simply because players have transferred in the past. If you look at that “track” record 95% of the players who transferred weren’t even players who received valuable playing time. The lone exception was Cooper. There’s no reason to believe any of this freshman class should transfer considering they all play different positions and will see plenty of court time.

Considering how fond you are of Miss St (judging from your posts) it doesn’t surprise me that you don’t think this class will pan out, or contribute. Which is fair in the fact that you aren’t the only one who has doubts. But I can definitely assure you SC fans aren’t running around screaming we are the team to beat now that we have this #1 class. We do feel like these players will play their roles well and can help us achieve another SEC title.

If I thought I could have a reasonable and productive discussion with you I would spend the time to respond to each part of your post.

I don't believe that is possible looking at your past interactions with other posters. Good luck next season, don't @ me.

Reaction Score
If I thought I could have a reasonable and productive discussion with you I would spend the time to respond to each part of your post.

I don't believe that is possible looking at your past interactions with other posters. Good luck next season, don't @ me.

How so? I’m trying to justify your reasonings on the shortcomings you portray SC will have...

First you claim Harris or HH won’t step up enough or become better scores, same with Henderson and Saxton saying they won’t provide enough because they didn’t produce much this year (yet both was named SEC All Freshmen) as well as SC freshman class not stepping up to provide anything. As far as I’m concerned I did nothing to make you not want to have a civilized conversation regarding our teams. Of course you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I simply asked why and you got your panties in a bunch LOL.

If you are a Miss St fan then own it. It’s clear you are judging from how you think Promise Taylor and Jessika Carter will be the best two bigs in the league next year:confused:.

Good luck to your team next year as well.... and if you need me certainly feel free to AT ME. :cool:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
How so? I’m trying to justify your reasonings on the shortcomings you portray SC will have...

First you claim Harris or HH won’t step up enough or become better scores, same with Henderson and Saxton saying they won’t provide enough because they didn’t produce much this year (yet both was named SEC All Freshmen) as well as SC freshman class not stepping up to provide anything. As far as I’m concerned I did nothing to make you not want to have a civilized conversation regarding our teams. Of course you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I simply asked why and you got your panties in a bunch LOL.

If you are a Miss St fan then own it. It’s clear you are judging from how you think Promise Taylor and Jessika Carter will be the best two bigs in the league next year:confused:.

Good luck to your team next year as well.... and if you need me certainly feel free to AT ME. :cool:

I see you make theories about Mississippi State on how we'll go down drastically after McCowan leaves. I've also heard you say that you think SC will be better next year (though how much better I don't know), despite the fact that everything you can say about State applies to SC too. We both have a very young team next year. Talented, but young. Finally, you state the SEC race will come down to A&M and SC. Really trying to understand where you're coming from in that rationale. Not sure if that poster is confused by you, but I personally am and trying to get some clarification from you.

Reaction Score
I see you make theories about Mississippi State on how we'll go down drastically after McCowan leaves. I've also heard you say that you think SC will be better next year (though how much better I don't know), despite the fact that everything you can say about State applies to SC too. We both have a very young team next year. Talented, but young. Finally, you state the SEC race will come down to A&M and SC. Really trying to understand where you're coming from in that rationale. Not sure if that poster is confused by you, but I personally am and trying to get some clarification from you.

I never said I expected Miss St to fall drastically lol what I did say was I don’t think they’ll be as good next year with the loss of McCowan who was the main factor in State’s SEC domination these past two years. I gave you all the upmost props and stated I expect a top 15 team and that Vic will definitely have his young ladies playing good ball by the time the tourney rolls around.

Yes, I do think SC will be better next year and here’s why: Harris the SEC active leader in assists and steals returns. Herbert-Harrigan who was third in blocks and probably one of the best midrange shooters in the conference if not from the country will return as well. They’ll be seniors and their games will step up big time. Henderson and Saxton will be sophomores with learning experiences and should perform at higher levels. They both were also named to the SEC All Freshman team. Also factor in Grissett who may have underwhelmed but definitely has experience and shouldn’t be overlooked to make a jump and provide more defense and rebounding and maybe even more scoring. I haven’t even mentioned the freshmen who looked good in both all star games and should provide depth behind the veterans. There’s also a possibility of landing a Grad transfer or a transfer that’s immediately eligible.

I think Miss St will be good just more questions than SC has at this point, hence why I think SC and A&M are the front runners. Both A&M and State will have to travel to Columbia this year so that also played a factor.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Likely primarily at the 2 and the 3 as a replacement for Bianca Jackson and Te'a Cooper. I assume Dawn is approaching her with '20-'21 in mind while they put in a waiver request for her to play next season.

I think she's a good option at the 3, with Harris and Henderson holding down the 1/2. I also like UNC's Stephanie Watts at the 3. Wonder how much of a realistic shot we have with her. She's a grad transfer and would be ready to play... With Jackson and Cooper departed, that sort of leaves a vacancy at the "big guard" spot. Beal, a freshman, could be the solution but Dawn doesn't typically rely heavily on freshman to be impact players before January (although I believe Beal could impact the team the most next season besides Boston, Beal is THAT good).

So we'll go from having too much depth, like we had the past season, to just the right amount IMO.. with most of our bench being freshman or sophomores. I think that'll keep roster morale high. That's also better than the 2017-2018 season (A'ja's senior season) where we had no depth at all.

Reaction Score

I’m not confused, though that poster is hard to follow. Anytime they are presented with facts they change the subject. I’m still trying to figure out why we were discussing Kelsey Bone’s lone season at SC almost a decade ago.

Fact is SC has about 22ppg coming back next season from their starting 5. So we’ll just have to see how things go for them. Lost about 70% of their scoring to graduation or transfer. And they didn’t have the easiest time finding where to manufacture points last season.

I am not a MSST fan per say, but Vic Schaefer now has a proven track record of losing lots of pieces and still putting together an elite team the next season. Two seasons in a row he lost 4 starters. One season ended in the Championship game, the other in the Elite Eight. Dawn has done a lot of great things, but IN MY OPINION, she has not yet faced a challenge like this during her time at SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not confused, though that poster is hard to follow. Anytime they are presented with facts they change the subject. I’m still trying to figure out why we were discussing Kelsey Bone’s lone season at SC almost a decade ago.

Fact is SC has about 22ppg coming back next season from their starting 5. So we’ll just have to see how things go for them. Lost about 70% of their scoring to graduation or transfer. And they didn’t have the easiest time finding where to manufacture points last season.

I am not a MSST fan per say, but Vic Schaefer now has a proven track record of losing lots of pieces and still putting together an elite team the next season. Two seasons in a row he lost 4 starters. One season ended in the Championship game, the other in the Elite Eight. Dawn has done a lot of great things, but IN MY OPINION, she has not yet faced a challenge like this during her time at SC.

We discussed Kelsey Bone, because you claimed that Wilson and Coates are not good comps for Boston having a successful freshman season (which I think almost all SC fans actually would define as something short of matching those numbers), because they are from South Carolina and derived some heretofore unknown benefit from attending Dawn Staley summer camp that could not possibly apply to an out of state recruit like Boston.

Kelsey Bone is an example of a player with similar size and athleticism to Boston, who was rated similarly to Boston, who came to South Carolina and played under Staley at a relatively high level despite clearly not seeing eye to eye with Staley (subsequent transfer) or having any local or repeated exposure to the program as a recruit.

You them came up with an explanation for why Kelsey Bone didn't count either -- in this case, because South Carolina had a mediocre record during her freshman season, she got a lot of playing time, and she subsequently transferred. None of which is particularly relevant to anything since your central point was that a freshman would inherently struggle against the rugged SEC front lines (ha) and Bone clearly did not.

Then you started claiming that South Carolina fans were unreasonably asserting that all the freshmen would be superstars and that the South Carolina team was going to be a sure fire elite team next season.

Which of course, no one ever claimed. Quite the opposite was said, as you know.

Reaction Score

I like Vic Schaeffer. I think he's a great coach. He's done a great job at Miss State. I think Miss State will continue to be a good team next season.

I'm a little perplexed at why he gets so much credit for replacing starters.

In 2017 his top three scorers were McCowans, Vivians, and Morgan William.

In 2018, his top scorers were McCowans, Vivians, Morgan William and two seniors Schaeffer and Johnson.

What exactly was so surprising about them still be a national contender? They were certainly picked to be contenders by everyone.

In 2019, they lost a lot and were not near as good. they made the Elite 8 behind the SEC player of the year, experienced players and transfers. They had relatively few big wins in a season where the SEC was down. Again, not an unexpected result, but a quality season.

It's not clear to me how he's worked any miracles. He's done about what everyone thought he would.

It's not real clear to me what Schaeffer has ever done that Staley has not, but I guess the folksy old guy seems more coach-y than the inner city Philly kid with the National Title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like, South Carolina won the National Title in 2017.

From that team they lost Alaina Coates, Kaela Davis, Alicia Gray and Bianca Cuevas Moore to injury. Four major contributors, three starters.

All South Carolina did was finish second in the league, win the SEC tournament for fourth straight season, collect a #2 seed, and make the Elite Eight.

But I guess that doesn't really count?

South Carolina then lost its best player and finished second in the SEC and extended the Sweet 16 streak to six straight years.

But sure, I guess it will all fall apart because we don't have Te'a Cooper?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Vic Schaeffer. I think he's a great coach. He's done a great job at Miss State. I think Miss State will continue to be a good team next season.

In 2018, his top scorers were McCowans, Vivians, Morgan William and two seniors Schaeffer and Johnson.

What exactly was so surprising about them still be a national contender? They were certainly picked to be contenders by everyone.

In 2019, they lost a lot and were not near as good. they made the Elite 8 behind the SEC player of the year, experienced players and transfers. They had relatively few big wins in a season where the SEC was down. Again, not an unexpected result, but a quality season.

It's not clear to me how he's worked any miracles. He's done about what everyone thought he would.

It's not real clear to me what Schaeffer has ever done that Staley has not, but I guess the folksy old guy seems more coach-y than the inner city Philly kid with the National Title.

Couldn’t have said it any better!! I won’t discredit his ability to coach but I’m confused how he “reloaded” these past two year when the players he had were talented juniors who stepped into senior roles. Also if he’s such a great “developer” how come he only has two players on WNBA rosters? Just questions that needs answers....

Next year will be his most challenging one yet. Not senior leaders, no pg and a lot of questions surrounding who will step in and take over for McCowan and Howard. Bibby (who I think is their best returning player) is coming off an injury and while Scott and AEH has good moments but they don’t look like players who can take over games imo.

I wouldn’t go back and forth with a poster whose obviously a State fan and will go about his viewpoint of SC.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Schaefer is a good coach. He’s a little preachy for me personally (he gives me the same taste in my mouth that Dabo Swinney does), but I respect him and what he’s done at State. I also highly respect Dabo, unfortunately. Schaefer has always placed a respectable State team on the floor, even when the Gamecocks were beating them routinely. It was only a matter of time before his team broke through.

That breakthrough IMO was beating UConn in the Final Four. Schaefer, a good coach before, became an ELITE coach in the eyes of many after that game. You couple that win with the fact that his teams have successfully maintained their status after losing so many starters over the years, even with 1 SIGNIFICANT cog returning both times (which you explained very well) and you have the present lore of Vic Schaefer.

At times the way he’s referred to here makes it feel like he’s the heir-apparent to Geno, and perhaps he is... but your point stands. Aside from beating UConn, he hasn’t done anything really that Staley hasn’t done. It just goes to show you how much weight beating UConn carries in this sport.

Reaction Score
We discussed Kelsey Bone, because you claimed that Wilson and Coates are not good comps for Boston having a successful freshman season (which I think almost all SC fans actually would define as something short of matching those numbers), because they are from South Carolina and derived some heretofore unknown benefit from attending Dawn Staley summer camp that could not possibly apply to an out of state recruit like Boston.

Kelsey Bone is an example of a player with similar size and athleticism to Boston, who was rated similarly to Boston, who came to South Carolina and played under Staley at a relatively high level despite clearly not seeing eye to eye with Staley (subsequent transfer) or having any local or repeated exposure to the program as a recruit.

You them came up with an explanation for why Kelsey Bone didn't count either -- in this case, because South Carolina had a mediocre record during her freshman season, she got a lot of playing time, and she subsequently transferred. None of which is particularly relevant to anything since your central point was that a freshman would inherently struggle against the rugged SEC front lines (ha) and Bone clearly did not.

Then you started claiming that South Carolina fans were unreasonably asserting that all the freshmen would be superstars and that the South Carolina team was going to be a sure fire elite team next season.

Which of course, no one ever claimed. Quite the opposite was said, as you know.

Do you want a sticker for finding the one example in 10 years?

Reaction Score
Do you want a sticker for finding the one example in 10 years?

I feel like I found at least three, which happens to be the number of comparably rated centers who have played at Carolina under Staley.*

It's not like one can't find other examples around college basketball if one was so inclined.

*EDIT - actually it occurs to me that Jatarie White probably falls into that category. Of course, even if Boston is Jatarie White, she figures to get more playing time than White did. But Jatarie White was ultimately a disappointment that was probably overrated by the services. I don't think they are particularly similar overall, but we'll see.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

After 34 posts, how many interactions could you have possibly seen?

No, every freshman won't pan out, but with 4 highly rated freshmen coming in, at least a couple will have a significant impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom