South Carolina Transfers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Transfers

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just dominated 1 year.

One loss in the SEC tournament doesn't mean they didnt dominate the conference. Theyve gone 36-2 vs SEC opponents the past two years, I'd say that's dominating the conference.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They dominated because no one could match up with McCowan plain and simple. Similar to how no one could match A’ja Wilson. I don’t think they’ll be as good next year. Top 5 in the SEC sure, but I don’t see them repeating.

We shall see, cant count out Vic. Last year a lot of SC fans here thought they'd be back on top in the SEC and predicted McCowan would struggle again against MHH/Jenning...we saw how that panned out. Both teams should be good and have a shot to win it. Especially if Mississippi State lands another grad transfer or 2. Overall the league should be a more competitive year than it was this season.

Reaction Score
and they split with Mizzou this year...whats your point?

That South Carolina won the SEC Tournament, split the series with Mississippi State with the win being on a neutral court and the loss being in Starkville. I didn't feel dominated.

I think they were far and away the dominant team in the SEC this past season though.

Reaction Score
We shall see, cant count out Vic. Last year a lot of SC fans here thought they'd be back on top in the SEC and predicted McCowan would struggle again against MHH/Jenning...we saw how that panned out. Both teams should be good and have a shot to win it. Especially if Mississippi State lands another grad transfer or 2. Overall the league should be a more competitive year than it was this season.

We did? I do not remember that.

I don't think McCowan is that big a problem if you have the size to put a body on her and get her in foul trouble on the other end. She's still not a particularly skilled player, but is a major problem on the offensive board.

But few teams have that size and South Carolina certainly did not.

Once it was apparent that Miss State had Howard and relatively efficient guard play around McCowan it was pretty clear they were going to run through the SEC. Losing a game was honestly a bit of a surprise.

my guess is Miss State will be in the mix next year though at this point, I'm not sure who their center piece will be. I'm not sure they have someone that is going to be a huge problem for opponents, but I'm thinking they will have a strong squad.

Reaction Score
Lots of really talented freshman headed to the SEC, specifically in the top 10 (Horston, Boston, Cooke, Blackwell, Jackson, Amihere). Will be interesting to see which ones have the biggest impact early. Blackwell sticks out as a SEC FOY candidate because her team may rely on her from day 1.

I would be shocked if Boston wasn't Freshman All-SEC.

I think the likely FPOY would likely be one of Horston, Jackson, and Boston. I'd probably guess Horston now that Westbrook is gone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I for one was never a fan that thought McCowan or Howard would struggle with Jennings/HH, in fact I knew they would get theirs and rebound the heck out the ball. What I did say was our guard play would be better and that teams could sag in. That was prior to Bibby becoming a much better shooter and AEH being eligible. I’m not suggesting they fall off in anyway whatsoever I just think without McCowan and Howard getting every rebound and losing good defenders in Holmes and Danberry. I don’t think they’ll be as good defensively and without McCowan being down low you can definitely play them straight up more and force players like Bibby, AEH, and Scott to make plays.

Reaction Score
I for one was never a fan that thought McCowan or Howard would struggle with Jennings/HH, in fact I knew they would get theirs and rebound the heck out the ball. What I did say was our guard play would be better and that teams could sag in. That was prior to Bibby becoming a much better shooter and AEH being eligible. I’m not suggesting they fall off in anyway whatsoever I just think without McCowan and Howard getting every rebound and losing good defenders in Holmes and Danberry. I don’t think they’ll be as good defensively and without McCowan being down low you can definitely play them straight up more and force players like Bibby, AEH, and Scott to make plays.
You have GOT to know that those players will get better under Vic. Bibby, Holmes, and Danberry all got better this year. Schaefer, Johnson, McCowan all got better the year before that. That's why everyone believes that they shouldn't be counted out.

Reaction Score
You have GOT to know that those players will get better under Vic. Bibby, Holmes, and Danberry all got better this year. Schaefer, Johnson, McCowan all got better the year before that. That's why everyone believes that they shouldn't be counted out.

I do believe they will get better but that doesn’t change my mind on where I see them next year. I’m not counting them out at all but I do see some struggles with them next year. They will be similar to how SC was this year. No go to player and everyone trying to find a role. Who do you suggest their go to will be? I’m not doubting Vic at all but I just think Dawn and Blair will have better teams next year IMO.

Reaction Score
I do believe they will get better but that doesn’t change my mind on where I see them next year. I’m not counting them out at all but I do see some struggles with them next year. They will be similar to how SC was this year. No go to player and everyone trying to find a role. Who do you suggest their go to will be? I’m not doubting Vic at all but I just think Dawn and Blair will have better teams next year IMO.

Who would you guess will be South Carolina's go to player next year?

I'm not sure.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt count out Mississippi State--it'll be a different roster but they have dominated the conference the past 2 years and look good on paper, especially if they can land Minyon Moore.

Tennessee looks like a good dark horse too even though they have as many HS AA as anyone.

Overall it appears to be a competitive year in the SEC.

Yes if MSST can land Moore they will be tough again next season. Johnnie Harris does an excellent job developing their post players. She took McCowan from pretty much a nothing, just a raw player with superior size, and turned her into a Wooden Award Candidate as a senior. Promise Taylor, an Ole Miss transfer, sat out this year, but she is going to be a problem next season, she looked good at Ole Miss as a freshman and their team was a mess. After a full year of playing against Jessica Carter and McCowan in practice I think she's going to be a force.

Also would be on the look-out for Arkansas to have a great season, they finally put the pieces together to end the year and they have some very talented players coming back. If Neighbors can pick-up a grad transfer with some size and skill they will be in business. rebounding killed them last season.

Reaction Score
Who would you guess will be South Carolina's go to player next year?

I'm not sure.

It should most definitely be Herbert-Harrigan hands down. She needs more touches and should be the focal point of the offense. But I think she will have a lot of help from Harris and I expect big jumps from Henderson and Saxton. Add in the freshman and the other role players and that’s a solid squad. I wouldn’t count out a grad transfer like Watts or someone to come in and add a scoring boost as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It should most definitely be Herbert-Harrigan hands down. She needs more touches and should be the focal point of the offense. But I think she will have a lot of help from Harris and I expect big jumps from Henderson and Saxton. Add in the freshman and the other role players and that’s a solid squad. I wouldn’t count out a grad transfer like Watts or someone to come in and add a scoring boost as well.

I do not think a H-H lead team is likely going to be good enough.

I’ve only really scouted Watts’ stat line, but on paper that’s an addition that might drastically raise ceiling of the team. That group if it figured out how to play together could be deadly at tournament time.

Reaction Score
Based on the SEC teams I saw play last year (which was a lot), and knowing the players that are moving on from the top SEC Teams, I give Texas A&M the nod for winning the SEC next year. Texas A&M improved steadily over the year, and, has most everyone back.

Reaction Score
I do not think a H-H lead team is likely going to be good enough.

I’ve only really scouted Watts’ stat line, but on paper that’s an addition that might drastically raise ceiling of the team. That group if it figured out how to play together could be deadly at tournament time.

I said go to scorer and she’s more than capable of being that as she showed against many good teams last year. Harris will without a doubt be the leader of the team next year. She’s been a captain since her sophomore year. If Henderson and Saxton make the jumps to good players then we will be more than fine. Watts will only boost our chances even more if she comes.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure H-H can create shots at will or score consistently in the post.

But an offense where ball moves freely would be nice.

Reaction Score
I agree, I suspect we will be good but lacking that go to player and experience. Last year’s SC team is a good comparison, trouble early, getting stronger as team chemistry get better. I also consider Texas A&M and SC as most likely to win SEC championship. I have two major concerns with MSST, replacing McCowan post play and Jazz Holmes PG play.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure H-H can create shots at will or score consistently in the post.

But an offense where ball moves freely would be nice.

I think she could if she got more shots. She’s one of the few forwards in the country that can hit consistently hit that midrange and baseline jump shot. With more touches I can see her being a 15+ ppg scorer.

I still expect a run and gun offense next year. More players who can create offense and better rebounders to outlet the ball to guards. The problem last year was Cooper needed the ball to stick in her hands to score, this year I expect more movement from the perimeter and more passing into the post. I suspect they’ll be much better in that regard.

Reaction Score
I agree, I suspect we will be good but lacking that go to player and experience. Last year’s SC team is a good comparison, trouble early, getting stronger as team chemistry get better. I also consider Texas A&M and SC as most likely to win SEC championship. I have two major concerns with MSST, replacing McCowan post play and Jazz Holmes PG play.

I personally think Vic will have them rolling right around tournament time! That’s how good a coach he is! The Morris girl should help big time as well as a PG like Minyon Moore or Taja Cole. I just don’t think Myah Taylor is quite ready to assume the position and Promise Taylor is still dealing with recovery after her surgery. AEH and Scott will be relief upon early but I suspect Jackson will step up big time despite being a freshman. The wildcard IMO is Wiggins. She will be a big key for Miss St next year. If she steps up like she’s capable then I can definitely see Miss St battling SC and A&M for the title next year.

Reaction Score
I personally think Vic will have them rolling right around tournament time! That’s how good a coach he is! The Morris girl should help big time as well as a PG like Minyon Moore or Taja Cole. I just don’t think Myah Taylor is quite ready to assume the position and Promise Taylor is still dealing with recovery after her surgery. AEH and Scott will be relief upon early but I suspect Jackson will step up big time despite being a freshman. The wildcard IMO is Wiggins. She will be a big key for Miss St next year. If she steps up like she’s capable then I can definitely see Miss St battling SC and A&M for the title next year.
I though Espinoza-Hunter at times was a very reliable scorer. I thought she was terrific the second time against South Carolina and she scored in a variety of ways. Her shot is very good and she can get it off super quick. She certainly has a lot of areas of needed improvement, one being consistency, but she got far more consistent as the season went on. I know eligibility-wise she was a sophomore, but she had played in just 7 games as a freshman. She needs to improve quickness and defense.

They have the talent, but not the experience.

Reaction Score
I like Wiggins game a lot. She is very tall, lengthy and athletic. Her length disrupts passing lanes extremely well. Her shooting though was rough as a freshman. Hopefully she can improve that this year. Felt like she didn't have any touch on her shots.

Post play at the 5 is a concern but if they can get a reliable PG transfer, that could open a lot of things up for Miss St next year early.

Watched Vic's presser yesterday. He raved non stop about those freshmen. Sounds like he has big plans for them early.

Reaction Score
I like Wiggins game a lot. She is very tall, lengthy and athletic. Her length disrupts passing lanes extremely well. Her shooting though was rough as a freshman. Hopefully she can improve that this year. Felt like she didn't have any touch on her shots.

Post play at the 5 is a concern but if they can get a reliable PG transfer, that could open a lot of things up for Miss St next year early.
Between Taylor and Wiggins a lot of bricks went up:D

Reaction Score
As of now, A&M and SC are my favorites in the SEC this year. Tennessee can make some noise if Harper can get them to play with some type of discipline or philosophy on offense.

Miss St IMO will have growing pains early but will be one of the toughest in the entire league by the end of the year when its all said and done. I expect them to be towards the top of the conference as well. I don't doubt Vic and his ability to develop.

Reaction Score
I though Espinoza-Hunter at times was a very reliable scorer. I thought she was terrific the second time against South Carolina and she scored in a variety of ways. Her shot is very good and she can get it off super quick. She certainly has a lot of areas of needed improvement, one being consistency, but she got far more consistent as the season went on. I know eligibility-wise she was a sophomore, but she had played in just 7 games as a freshman. She needs to improve quickness and defense.

They have the talent, but not the experience.

I concur, she car along quite nicely after the Bibby injury. I felt she was a big reason they beat us in Columbia. She kept them in it the first half. I’m interested to see her game improve off the bounce more and for her to get better defensively. We all know she can shoot it but if she gets better at those two aspects she will be really good.

Reaction Score
Another key item nobody seems to be discussing is how well McCowan let the offense play through her. She was an excellent passer from the post and because she garnered so much attention from the defenses other players were often open. The problem this past season for MSU was our point guard and shooting guard had extremely limited range. That kept the middle clogged with players as they had to drive or pull up close for short jumpers. The problem this coming season is that we don't have anyone in the post that draws anywhere near that much attention. P Taylor has the size and strength to plant herself down low but hasn't shown the ability to see the floor and pass as well. J Carter's style of play is more similar to A Wilson than T McCowan. She is more of a combo post/forward than true post player.

Reaction Score

Watched Vic's presser yesterday. He raved non stop about those freshmen. Sounds like he has big plans for them early.

I think their post play will be just fine, probably the best or second best in the league. Jessika Carter looked solid in her minutes, didn't play much because she was playing behind McCowan. She was efficient from the floor though and had the second most blocks on the team only playing 10 minutes per game.

Promise Taylor is going to be good as well. She looked very solid as a freshman at Ole Miss, I suspect she is going to look like a totally different player after sitting last season and practicing against McCowan every day. Johnnie Harris does a fantastic job of developing their post players. She already has great touch, coming off the bench as a freshman she shot 60% from the floor and pulled in 6 boards a game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom