South Carolina Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Transfers

Reaction Score
Goodness South Carolina has a lot of transfers. What is it now 10 or 11 in the last 3 or 4 season and that's not including Cuevas-Moore who Staley had to convince to stay. How long until Boston has buyer's remorse?

What’s she got to be remorseful about?

Not like she isn’t going to play or South Carolina is going to be bad.
I wouldn't read too much into the suspension. In the piece, Staley said it was minimal, and it was for less than a game. This sounds to me like something like being late for practice, or the suspension that held Carter and Khaalia Hillsman out of the starting lineup vs Miss State last year when they thought they could make a fast food run as an alternative to the provided lunch but ended up being late for a bus.

I'd be cautious in general about interpreting transfer decisions. How events from last year at A&M have been portrayed adds to that, but I like to think I would be cautious in this area in any case.

if a coach is frustrated enough to sit you in the tournament it might be piddling but it speaks to long history.

Reaction Score
What’s she got to be remorseful about?
Nothing... yet. From 2014-17 South Carolina signed 14 players, and nine of them eventually transferred according to Raoul's tweet early this morning. That's almost 65% of your recruits leaving, not even counting these three. Odds don't favor Boston, or any recruit for that matter, wearing garnet and black on graduation day.

Reaction Score
What is going on at USC is it immature kids is scared kids that don’t want to compete against the number one recruiting class or are we going to hear some type of stuff like has just happened at UNC??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So.....how many want to rethink next year's lofty ranking prediction for the Gamecocks? The good news is the SEC will still be in a down cycle...but eegads, this is not a good optic. :(

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
South Carolina has had a very high turnover rate under Dawn. By year two or three, I bet you half that incoming freshman class is gone.
While that is true, it's generally been people that weren't getting a lot of paying time or stayed in Dawn's doghouse. I'd be lying if I said I was happy about it, but I trust Dawn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
South Carolina's Te'a Cooper also intends to transfer

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina guard Te'a Cooper intends to leave the program. Team spokeswoman Diana Koval said Wednesday that Cooper's name is in the NCAA's transfer portal. Cooper, the team's leading scorer, becomes the fourth player this week from this season's team to say they want to transfer. Forwards Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and LaDazhia Williams and guard Bianca Jackson had previously announced their intentions to go.

Koval said Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley was holding individual season-ending meetings with the players this week and did not want to comment on Cooper's move. South Carolina has the country's No. 1 incoming freshman class next fall with four of the top 13 players in the nation, according to ESPN's recruiting rankings.

[Article]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Could it be that Dawn is cleaning house? Or was it a big family, just not a happy family? Dawn's got a reputation for being tight with her players. All very strange.

Reaction Score
There is nothing normal about 4 players from the same team transferring, any way you slice it.
You obviously must not be paying much attention to the transfer portal then because it is very much normal to see teams with 3+ players transferring out.

Reaction Score
You obviously must not be paying much attention to the transfer portal then because it is very much normal to see teams with 3+ players transferring out.

How do you have access to the portal?

Reaction Score
I agree that the first link is a good writeup overall but I wish the author had backed up this assertion with data:
The attrition rate at South Carolina is no higher than anywhere else, in fact it is pretty low.
Not saying it’s wrong or even that it’s necessarily bad if the attrition is above average. On the academic side, I hate the recent emphasis on time to graduation and retention stats. I understand why people want to improve those, but fixation on just the number creates unintended incentives IMO to do things like dumb down the curriculum and/or not admit as many students who are high risk/high reward.

Reaction Score

All you have to know is that there are over 400 player on it, which is a number I've seen in a couple places. (A men's coach told me two months ago that there were over 900 on the men's portal!)

So the average is more than one player per team. Clearly having three cannot be unusual.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All you have to know is that there are over 400 player on it, which is a number I've seen in a couple places. (A men's coach told me two months ago that there were over 900 on the men's portal!)

So the average is more than one player per team. Clearly having three cannot be unusual.
I believe that the portal is not limited to D-I players. Also has D-II and I believe D-III players on it.

Reaction Score
No access to the portal but perusing through Raoul twitter account's WBB blog you see plenty of schools with transfer lists of 3, 4 or 5 players.

Reaction Score
Reading through Raoul's tweets, it's hard to guess why some players are transferring...I mean for example Sydney Cooks is leaving Michigan State when she would be the shoe-in starter at post and get a ton of minutes..no one else on the team has much experience there. Talk about leaving a hole....looks like their incoming freshman post will start immediately.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reading through Raoul's tweets, it's hard to guess why some players are transferring...I mean for example Sydney Cooks is leaving Michigan State when she would be the shoe-in starter at post and get a ton of minutes..no one else on the team has much experience there. Talk about leaving a hole....looks like their incoming freshman post will start immediately.

Agree completely that Cooks would've started next year since Jenna Allen has (finally) graduated. But the entire rest of the roster from the 20+ win season that MSU had was coming back and was expected to be led by Cooks, guards Shay Collie and Nia Clouden and pesky point guard Taryn McCutcheon. This was not a threadbare roster, by any means; rather a team that probably should've taken a step forward.
But, at the end of the post, I'm with you: it's a head-scratcher. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom