South Carolina Transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Transfers

Reaction Score
Agree completely that Cooks would've started next year since Jenna Allen has (finally) graduated. But the entire rest of the roster from the 20+ win season that MSU had was coming back and was expected to be led by Cooks, guards Shay Collie and Nia Clouden and pesky point guard Taryn McCutcheon. This was not a threadbare roster, by any means; rather a team that probably should've taken a step forward.
But, at the end of the post, I'm with you: it's a head-scratcher. :confused:
Agree and I think all 3 guards you mentioned are pesky in their own way, but the other gals at the 3 an 4 positions are not great defenders and some of MSU's opponents seemed to score at will all too often. Cook might be a slight exception.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hearing a lot of chatter of Te'A Cooper to Baylor, or at least that is her #1 choice right now.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You obviously must not be paying much attention to the transfer portal then because it is very much normal to see teams with 3+ players transferring out.
Actually, no it isn’t. Besides N/S Carolina and Georgia Tech, name other schools that have this and to be defined as normal, you need 80+ teams considering there are 340+ in D1 (25% of schools to be considered normal).

Reaction Score
Hearing a lot of chatter of Te'A Cooper to Baylor, or at least that is her #1 choice right now.

Idk if how believable the source is, the same poster said ONO would get home sick right after she signed with UConn, he has some inside information but has been wrong plenty of times.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Cooper has already sat out 2017-2018 due to NCAA transfer rules. Unless she's a graduate transfer, she can't sit out another year and play in 2020-2021 can she? That would mean her college playing time would extend over 6 years. Her first year with Tennessee was the 2015-2016 season.

Cooper Time line -
2015-2016 Freshman year Tennessee
2016-2017 Sophomore year Tennessee - sat out the season due to an injury suffered during the previous summer.
2017-2018* transferred to South Carolina - sat out the entire season due to NCAA transfer rules.
2018-2019 Junior year South Carolina
2019-2020 ??? Graduate transfer that can play right away? :eek:

Does the rule still hold that student athletes have 5 years to complete their 4 years of eligibility? Next season would be year 5. Am I missing something here?

*Former Lady Vol basketball player Te’a Cooper decided to transfer from Tennessee in part because she faced possible disciplinary action regarding a fight she instigated with teammate Jaime Nared, according to multiple sources.
[Link]

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Cooper has already sat out 2017-2018 due to NCAA transfer rules. Unless she's a graduate transfer, she can't sit out another year and play in 2020-2021 can she? That would mean her college playing time would extend over 6 years. Her first year with Tennessee was the 2015-2016 season.

Cooper Time line -
2016-2017 Sophomore year Tennessee - sat out the season due to an injury suffered during the previous summer.
2017-2018 transferred to South Carolina - sat out the entire season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Does the rule still hold that student athletes have 5 years to complete their 4 years of eligibility? Next season would be year 5. Am I missing something here?

2017-18 wasn't a redshirt year if I understand correctly. She's listed as a junior on this current roster so she has just 1 year of eligibility left. Not sure if she's a grad transfer or your normal transfer.

I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole if I'm Kim. Based on everything I've seen from Cooper she seems to have a "me first" attitude that could disrupt chemistry. Better options on the table, including players on her current roster like Ursin and Landrum.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Cooper Time line -
2017-2018 transferred to South Carolina - sat out the entire season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Apparently, she will be a grad transfer according to this story in The State:
"Cooper had the option to renounce her remaining eligibility and enter the WNBA draft, held Wednesday night, but did not do so. Now, she will be a graduate transfer and will be immediately eligible wherever she goes."
This story also takes the reader though Cooper's starts, stops and re-starts.
Gamecocks’ leading scorer Te’a Cooper intends to transfer from South Carolina

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Apparently, she will be a grad transfer according to this story in The State:
"Cooper had the option to renounce her remaining eligibility and enter the WNBA draft, held Wednesday night, but did not do so. Now, she will be a graduate transfer and will be immediately eligible wherever she goes."
This story also takes the reader though Cooper's starts, stops and re-starts.
Gamecocks’ leading scorer Te’a Cooper intends to transfer from South Carolina

That’s what I thought. Thanks much for the clarification. :)

Reaction Score

Just because that's where Te'a wants to be doesn't mean that's where she'll end up. I've heard this rumor as well, but as far as anyone can tell it is purely a rumor.

I'm not sure Kim will take a chance on a transfer who was 1. Dismissed from the University of Tennessee for fighting a teammate in the dorms 2. Repeatedly benched by her next coach in the only season she played there. Plus Mulkey has plenty of depth at the guard spot for next year, unlike last season. No secret Cooper has a hard time fitting into a system and taking direction. Chloe Jackson was completely different even though she was also a 2 time transfer.

Reaction Score
Blurb in the print and digital editions of The State this morning. Hadley yet to post on Twitter as of my posting. Dawn Staley to hold her end of season PC at 11 AM today. Perhaps this will come up. Big news if true.
DB77489B-5379-4B75-9377-0178422E8CE0.jpeg

Reaction Score
Dawn must be very good at making players rethink their decision to transfer from the program. I could not see Geno doing that.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
SC looks much more formidable with MHH. Loss of Cooper is potentially significant since she can score well but her leaving appears to be an overall net positive for SC. All this transfer portal drama sure makes the offseason more fun.

Reaction Score
SC looks much more formidable with MHH. Loss of Cooper is potentially significant since she can score well but her leaving appears to be an overall net positive for SC. All this transfer portal drama sure makes the offseason more fun.

I personally think the team will be better without Cooper. Harris, Henderson and Cooke has more upside together and Dawn could also land a grad transfer (she’s in contact with Stephanie Watts). HH will probably play some three next year so I think she will focus on her three point shooting and ball handling this off season. With her back in fold I think it’ll be SC and A&M as front runners for the SEC crown.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I personally think the team will be better without Cooper. Harris, Henderson and Cooke has more upside together and Dawn could also land a grad transfer (she’s in contact with Stephanie Watts). HH will probably play some three next year so I think she will focus on her three point shooting and ball handling this off season. With her back in fold I think it’ll be SC and A&M as front runners for the SEC crown.

Wouldnt count out Mississippi State--it'll be a different roster but they have dominated the conference the past 2 years and look good on paper, especially if they can land Minyon Moore.

Tennessee looks like a good dark horse too even though they have as many HS AA as anyone.

Overall it appears to be a competitive year in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt count out Mississippi State--it'll be a different roster but they have dominated the conference the past 2 years and look good on paper, especially if they can land Minyon Moore.

Tennessee looks like a good dark horse too even though they have as many HS AA as anyone.

Lots of really talented freshman headed to the SEC, specifically in the top 10 (Horston, Boston, Cooke, Blackwell, Jackson, Amihere). Will be interesting to see which ones have the biggest impact early. Blackwell sticks out as a SEC FOY candidate because her team may rely on her from day 1.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Lots of really talented freshman headed to the SEC, specifically in the top 10 (Horston, Boston, Cooke, Blackwell, Jackson, Amihere). Will be interesting to see which ones have the biggest impact early. Blackwell sticks out as a SEC FOY candidate because her team may rely on her from day 1.

I'd look for her, Horston, Boston and Jackson to get big PT from the get go with all of the graduations/transfers.

Reaction Score

Just dominated 1 year.

Reaction Score
31-1 over the past two years in SEC play sorta sounds like domination. Especially when the next team is 25-7 over the past two.

They dominated because no one could match up with McCowan plain and simple. Similar to how no one could match A’ja Wilson. I don’t think they’ll be as good next year. Top 5 in the SEC sure, but I don’t see them repeating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom