Some quotes from Dave Benedict | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
it definitely gives you a different perspective when your alma mater is on the national stage. it's more than just being a #casualfan
I would bet that there are many long time loyal fans that didn't go to UConn. The #casual fans are the ones who jumped on the bandwagon after we won our first championship and jumped off after a few down years and some of those are graduates. BTW just cause I went to UConn doesn't mean I have to follow all sports, I follow the ones I like. Doesn't mean I don't want the others to succeed just don't have the same passion

Reaction Score
I would bet that there are many long time loyal fans that didn't go to UConn. The #casual fans are the ones who jumped on the bandwagon after we won our first championship and jumped off after a few down years and some of those are graduates. BTW just cause I went to UConn doesn't mean I have to follow all sports, I follow the ones I like. Doesn't mean I don't want the others to succeed just don't have the same passion
I think we can grandfather anyone in who was here before the first championship. they probably have the same feelings that graduates do

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I remember it standing out to me that many of the super positive rah-rah folks didn't go to UConn. Coincidentally those folks are also the ones in KO's corner still. I've also posed the question to a few folks and my inklings were generally correct that they did not go to UConn. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

What? Do you keep a spreadsheet of pro Ollie user handles and then check off cells when you find out if they attended UConn or not?
Or are you the rainman of Ollie hatred.

Let's delve into this further because this is intriguing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

There are very few lunatics like me around who would even root for the UConn chess team. I know it's a problem but I'm not seeking help for it... ;)

Reaction Score
I’m not a casual fan because I didn’t go there I promise you that, and I know a ton of others in the same boat.

But you are a casual fan if you went there and can honestly say you will not be interested in UConn basketball any more if KO is back. Take a poll on those.

Listen I’m going to root for those kids who will wear that uni whether KO, Hurley, Jarvis or Cooley is coaching. Not sure how it can be any other way?
lol I thought that might rile you up.

Just to give you an example of the difference, look at the UNC academic fraud case. If you went to UNC then that puts a huge negative mark on your alma mater. Most of those students & grads wanted their team to be punished. If you didn't go to school there, then you could really give two craps about it.

I feel like the highs are just as high but the lows are much lower when it's attached to somewhere you spent 4+ years

Reaction Score
Gilbert hasn’t been healthy since the latter part of his senior yr of high school.. hopefully he prosper when he returns to full health ... and Larrier is a shell of himself after the knee injury plus a prone to turnovers on the bounce ... now we eliminate one which is Larrier n put either Wilson or Matthews in place we should be better ... I’m just mad that Wilson didn’t just commit to us in the first damn place ... JA has to come back too..

Reaction Score
What? Do you keep a spreadsheet of pro Ollie user handles and then check off cells when you find out if they attended UConn or not?
Or are you the rainman of Ollie hatred.

Let's delve into this further because this is intriguing.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score

Just to give you an example of the difference, look at the UNC academic fraud case. If you went to UNC then that puts a huge negative mark on your alma mater. Most of those students & grads wanted their team to be punished. If you didn't go to school there, then you could really give two craps about it.
I wanted them punished and I didn't go there.

Next....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's funny because most of the people that want him to stay didn't go to UConn
Another one of those "chatter" instances or do you just dream these things up at night?
I am going to laugh my arse off when KO is back next year and see what your reaction is
KO gone or not, many non UConn alumni will be rooting for their state flagship team. I know many non alumni who are rabid fans of all UConn sports and attend more games than alumni
At the hockey game vs UMass last week, between periods, there was much discussion of KO and stay or go - plenty of folks in UConn garb wanted him to stay

Reaction Score
Another one of those "chatter" instances or do you just dream these things up at night?
I am going to laugh my arse off when KO is back next year and see what your reaction is
KO gone or not, many non UConn alumni will be rooting for their state flagship team. I know many non alumni who are rabid fans of all UConn sports and attend more games than alumni
At the hockey game vs UMass last week, between periods, there was much discussion of KO and stay or go - plenty of folks in UConn garb wanted him to stay

giphy.gif

Reaction Score

I feel like the highs are just as high but the lows are much lower when it's attached to somewhere you spent 4+ years

Agree to disagree on this topic ok?

Reaction Score
Yep a national championship, perfect academically and making $3M/ year. He has been bad the last two years but DB knows there are some things that have played a huge part in this. Some KOs fault but not all. I really think things will be much better next year w KO.
KO has made some really bad player playing choices and not just this year. If it was just a couple times then OK he gets a pass for that but let’s go back in time to not getting Enoch enough pt or somehow losing Jackson a big scorer he would be this year. His talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. He makes decisions on players and isn’t flexible, case in point DO this year. I don’t trust his judgement in getting the right players for the roster and knowing who to play and when. But if he goes .500 next year it will save his job and be a big success?

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree on this topic ok?
it's just an opinion and personal observation. you can disagree with me as much as you'd like. i think you dislike me much more than i dislike you lol

Reaction Score
Zero buyout? - Unless the NCAA turns up something in the next week - there will be a negotiated buyout. It would be real interesting if the University argued something KO did in 2014 or 2015 was so severely awful that it would be the “cause” event or start of that behavior but the University took no action until after 2 losing seasons four years later. Who would have the moral ground then in court?
Try 2017. ☺️

Reaction Score
KO has made some really bad player playing choices and not just this year. If it was just a couple times then OK he gets a pass for that but let’s go back in time to not getting Enoch enough pt or somehow losing Jackson a big scorer he would be this year. His talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. He makes decisions on players and isn’t flexible, case in point DO this year. I don’t trust his judgement in getting the right players for the roster and knowing who to play and when. But if he goes .500 next year it will save his job and be a big success?
Enoch didn't get PT because he was always out of position and didn't hustle on the defensive end. Jackson left because his Lavar Ball like dad wanted his son to be the man and knew with a healthy Gilbert and Larrier he would be a bench player. Dad started complaining the 1st week of December. If he was so good why didn't some great P5 school snatch him up.

Reaction Score
it's just an opinion and personal observation. you can disagree with me as much as you'd like. i think you dislike me much more than i dislike you lol

I don’t dislike you at all I don’t know you. I just didn’t respect your agenda. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and any agenda which they support.

Reaction Score
Enoch didn't get PT because he was always out of position and didn't hustle on the defensive end. Jackson left because his Lavar Ball like dad wanted his son to be the man and knew with a healthy Gilbert and Larrier he would be a bench player. Dad started complaining the 1st week of December. If he was so good why didn't some great P5 school snatch him up.
Next are you going to say that Durham went to South Bend to be closer to his home in Tampa?

Reaction Score
I don’t dislike you at all I don’t know you. I just didn’t respect your agenda. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and any agenda which they support.
which is why I generally leave your opinions alone. However, there are some levels of stupidity that need to be exposed. At the end of the day we all want UConn basketball to be successful. we just have different ideas for how to achieve it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m not a casual fan because I didn’t go there I promise you that, and I know a ton of others in the same boat.

But you are a casual fan if you went there and can honestly say you will not be interested in UConn basketball any more if KO is back. Take a poll on those.

Listen I’m going to root for those kids who will wear that uni whether KO, Hurley, Jarvis or Cooley is coaching. Not sure how it can be any other way?

I’ll root for them too. But I’ll say this now, I will expect them to lose. Maybe not every game, because like this year, I think it’s possible that the talent will overcome the incompetence on the bench. It almost did today. In all seriousness, you could give KO the roster Houston has and he would be lucky to make the NIT. Give Kelvin Sampson our roster and we are a bubble team.

So if he is back, and doesn’t completely change his approach to how to coach, teach, and play the game of basketball, we won’t succeed. Maybe he will. But we are where we were with Diaco. Complete mismanagement. People harp on his recruiting and the players, but I think that is easily the thing he’s done best. Make use of those players? Improve them? Put them in roles where they will succeed? He is staggeringly awful at those things. They deserve better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom