Some quotes from Dave Benedict | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
I’ll root for them too. But I’ll say this now, I will expect them to lose. Maybe not every game, because like this year, I think it’s possible that the talent will overcome the incompetence on the bench. It almost did today. In all seriousness, you could give KO the roster Houston has and he would be lucky to make the NIT. Give Kelvin Sampson our roster and we are a bubble team.

So if he is back, and doesn’t completely change his approach to how to coach, teach, and play the game of basketball, we won’t succeed. Maybe he will. But we are where we were with Diaco. Complete mismanagement. People harp on his recruiting and the players, but I think that is easily the thing he’s done best. Make use of those players? Improve them? Put them in roles where they will succeed? He is staggeringly awful at those things. They deserve better.

I think I deleted the exact same post just as you were hitting the send button. In a program that's had our history (which I began following closely at a lot of games since stepping on campus in '79) the pain of watching a rapid descent boils down to this for me. Is our coach getting decent production and developnent from his players? Are they maxxing out or exceeding expectations? Or are they falling short of their potential? Finally are the Coach's decisions during the game giving us the best chance to win or possibly costing us games? Nothing I've seen indicates the same Coach with the same approach will yield significantly better results with a slightly better, even more experienced roster. It's not rooting for any Coach to lose or be fired. It's rooting for the program to win and not squander the respect it took so many years to build.

Reaction Score
I’ll root for them too. But I’ll say this now, I will expect them to lose. Maybe not every game, because like this year, I think it’s possible that the talent will overcome the incompetence on the bench. It almost did today. In all seriousness, you could give KO the roster Houston has and he would be lucky to make the NIT. Give Kelvin Sampson our roster and we are a bubble team.

So if he is back, and doesn’t completely change his approach to how to coach, teach, and play the game of basketball, we won’t succeed. Maybe he will. But we are where we were with Diaco. Complete mismanagement. People harp on his recruiting and the players, but I think that is easily the thing he’s done best. Make use of those players? Improve them? Put them in roles where they will succeed? He is staggeringly awful at those things. They deserve better.

I think I deleted the exact same post just as you were hitting the send button. In a program that's had our history (which I began following closely at a lot of games since stepping on campus in '79) the pain of watching a rapid descent boils down to this for me. Is our coach getting decent production and developnent from his players? Are they maxxing out or exceeding expectations? Or are they falling short of their potential? Finally are the Coach's decisions during the game giving us the best chance to win or possibly costing us games? Nothing I've seen indicates the same Coach with the same approach will yield significantly better results with a slightly better, even more experienced roster. It's not rooting for any Coach to lose or be fired. It's rooting for the program to win and not squander the respect it took so many years to build.

Reaction Score
I think we can grandfather anyone in who was here before the first championship. they probably have the same feelings that graduates do

I went to UConn and my son did too, so what is your point. See my avatar to understand how long I've been a fan. AND I was involved with a good friends son playing ball at UConn-a guy named Glenn Miller. Maybe you've heard of him?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
#notscience

But it strikes me the opposite of Jmick - the non alums are more die hard.

Especially with respect to football although basketball is catching up.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
if he's not gone, why not announce that he's coming back? Benedict also said, again, that they will evaluate after the season.

Because it makes it at least appear that your options are being kept open. Who knows if the NCAA decides to hammer us next month? Giving the dreaded vote of confidence now could look silly pretty quick. Granted that's a very unlikely scenario, but it affords Benedict some wiggle room.

Reaction Score
This program has already lost the casual fan.

If KO is back after another sub-.500 record, with a so-so recruiting class, the more committed fans may stay home as well.

I don't think these statements from AD Dave mean anything one way or another, just like how players have said they were coming back, only to leave weeks later.

That said, he should recognize that he may not have much more time to resuscitate the program.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also sick of the misogynist comments from some on this board. Never ask if someone is KO's dad when they voice their opinions.
It doesn't have to be misogny; it could be a realistic recognition that men, whether here or in general, aren't notably nurturing. In that context, it could be as much a compliment as a jab.
That said, I appreciate your speaking up, and as with @UConnDan97, I admire your optimism re KO but have found it too difficult to share in it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Enoch didn't get PT because he was always out of position and didn't hustle on the defensive end. Jackson left because his Lavar Ball like dad wanted his son to be the man and knew with a healthy Gilbert and Larrier he would be a bench player. Dad started complaining the 1st week of December. If he was so good why didn't some great P5 school snatch him up.
Enoch needed playing time, like most young unpolished bigs do. Need to let him learn. He had a quick hook here at UConn.

Who would you rather have at this point? Jackson being our #1/2 scorer or Larrier? I’ll take Jackson all day - even as a freshman he was better defensively, offensively, and basketball IQ wise than Larrier.

KO stuck with his boys and our record shows. 30-34 overall and 16-20 in conference. 10 Toes In.

I base everything off facts so if people want to subjectively say “we looked like we’re turning the corner with that Temple win and tough Houston loss” then so be it. Took us 62 games to turn the corner?

Reaction Score
They don’t have ten million dollars.

There are no slam dunk candidates.

There is nobody in their right mind signing up with the investigation lingering.

If you squint hard enough and Adams comes back.. they could be better.

All good points, especially the money. I mentioned the furious debate ongoing on the Boneyard about Kevin and a person very close to the athletic department said anyone that thinks the money is a small issue isn't fully aware that the buyout is one year's salary per year remaining on the contract and then decreases by the annual salary amount each year. So, it's nine or ten million right now and that's not happening. But, who really knows except Benedict.

Reaction Score
Then why don't you just come out and say he'll be back? There's no reason not to do so.

Maybe the money is too much but if the NCAA finds some violation all bets are off, so that may be why he didn't say implicitly one way or the other. A good guess is he stays because of the money but is gone if there are violations.

Reaction Score
The lights are out. Benedict wouldn’t talk to KO the night before a game, if the plan is for him to be here next year. A donor step forward for a negotiated buyout a few weeks ago - Oz did not apparently realize it until last night.

I'm too new to know your sense of humor, so I'll pretend you're serious. It strikes me as very odd that Benedict would bring up something like that before the last game of the regular season when Kevin finally has DO rounding into shape for a big role in the tournaments.

Reaction Score
The lights are out. Benedict wouldn’t talk to KO the night before a game, if the plan is for him to be here next year. A donor step forward for a negotiated buyout a few weeks ago - Oz did not apparently realize it until last night.
The donors LOVE Kevin and are not giving money to pay for a buyout. No way

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To whoever said Jackson left because he wouldn’t start here... LMAO. Have you seen our power forwards?

We know why he left. It was in some article awhile ago. He met with Ollie after the season, and Ollie had no plans for him. And he’s at a smaller school because he wanted to be the man, and the high maintenance dad didn’t help. But he was looked at by Baylor I remember that.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Either way we will know in the next couple days. No announcement before the AAC tournament IMO suggests he is gone.

Announcement about what? Typically most programs do not make an announcement that the head coach is going to be back for the next season. That's usually a given, unless there's an announcement that he's resigned, or has been fired. Benedict isn't going to fire him before the AAC tournament, so to me, no announcement in that time frame means nothing one way or the other.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Do the donors LOVE back to back losing seasons for the first time in over 30 years?

No, but my guess is the big donors love having the 10 million dollars in their bank accounts and not spending it to pay off a coach.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
There are very few lunatics like me around who would even root for the UConn chess team. I know it's a problem but I'm not seeking help for it... ;)

Last summer I rooted for a UCONN team of nerds to win some kind of video game competition against Arizona State, IIRC. It was on TV, which was amazing in and of itself. I think it was in some sort of playoff format.

If UCONN was involved in a nationwide collegiate rat race competition, I would be rooting for the UCONN rat to win the race.

C

Chief00

It’s great having a staff that could all be good at something one day.

George Blaney wasn’t a recruiter but analytically he could breakdown a game or team like few could. He could develop guys, once they arrived.
So there’s room for different skill sets on the staff. But, somebody better have this or that skill. I fear currently that’s not always the case.

Reaction Score
Announcement about what? Typically most programs do not make an announcement that the head coach is going to be back for the next season. That's usually a given, unless there's an announcement that he's resigned, or has been fired. Benedict isn't going to fire him before the AAC tournament, so to me, no announcement in that time frame means nothing one way or the other.

Not true, after two seasons like this with the NCAA looming, and at least half the fan base in a "fire him" frenzy they at least leak to the press he's coming back so Ollie can recruit. Doing it before the AAC tournament is ideal because a tournament run although unlikely is not completely out of the question given that the team has been playing better. Either way DB can't let this thing linger much longer because a lot of decisions will be made based on the answer.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Sounds like he's gonna be back.

And with this offseason being big for coaching hires I bet we will see a couple of the guys on our wish list get scooped up by similar tier jobs so this could end up hurting even more if we lose out on our guy.
Just curious - why do you think that?

Reaction Score
it's just an opinion and personal observation. you can disagree with me as much as you'd like. i think you dislike me much more than i dislike you lol
Don’t take it personally He dislikes almost everybody

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Not true, after two seasons like this with the NCAA looming, and at least half the fan base in a "fire him" frenzy they at least leak to the press he's coming back so Ollie can recruit. Doing it before the AAC tournament is ideal because a tournament run although unlikely is not completely out of the question given that the team has been playing better. Either way DB can't let this thing linger much longer because a lot of decisions will be made based on the answer.

I think some folks here vastly overestimate the "fire him" frenzy going on among the fanbase, because the only fans who truly matter are the ones with big enough bank accounts to actually pony up the 10 million dollars it will take to get rid of Ollie. Until a "fire him" frenzy exists among those folks, nothing is happening. A "fire him" frenzy among some Boneyarders means nothing.

There's no reason to be leaking anything to anybody at this point, unless you've got something to leak. Ollie can tell recruits he's going to be back unless he's heard otherwise from Benedict. They can either choose to believe him or not believe him. Announcements always smack of votes of confidence, which usually mean the opposite is going to happen.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
There are very few lunatics like me around who would even root for the UConn chess team. I know it's a problem but I'm not seeking help for it... ;)
I don't know the only sport that was big when I went to school here was polo. We had great horses

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom