Some quotes from Dave Benedict | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
Be careful who you call an idiot, but to your point it won’t be $10 million.
Why would KO accept less than what is in the contract? UConn is on the hook for $10 million and KO's agent isn't going to give the school a major buyout discount because he doesn't have to. If the investigation yields something it could change things. I think he is back next season anyway.

Reaction Score
Why not bring his dad in to coach too? I mean how stupid is it to let this kid go, his dad knows the game he was a great player, or at least his dad says so. I mean the lunacy of letting him leave - just hire dad heck you could tell he knew more about the game than KO did. I am sure at some point he could learn how to play defense because dad did forget to teach that obviously. He and Larrier would have been a force on D, I mean they would have had to average 25 each to make up for what they gave up but the offense would've flowed. LOL

So Ollie finds meaningful minutes for David Onuorah game after game, but shouldn't find a role for a guy who led the conference in 3 point shooting %? Ok. Even if Jackson was bad on D it wouldn't have been worse than what we had this season and we would have at least had one real good shooter to open things up. No doubt in my mind that the team would have been better WITH Jackson on it. You don't just let the leading three point shooter in the conference walk.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That doesn't really mean anything though. You can be a fan of whoever you want but that doesn't mean it's not different when you're actually a graduate from that school. These are college sports. You can't tell me it's not a different experience when you actually see players in your classes or see them at a house party or bar.
"...doesn't really mean anything..." and "... different experience..." don't stack up well side-by-side.

I can grant you yours with ease, without devaluing my 55 years that began with pre-I-84 rides on a school night to a cold place that first sounded like "Yukon," to being temporarily given a multi-colored ticket book that that allowed me to enter a big building with a dirt floor, walk by cheerleaders in short skirts, climb the bleacher stands, look over my shoulder to see the radio guys, watch the end of the Frosh game & full shoot around/layups, and see the UConn Huskies go up against the good & not-so-good including Dave Bing & Julius Erving. At halftime, I could walk beneath the stands to try to find the program I'd often drop, go to a concession stand by myself, and return to my dad and his friends in time to resume keeping score (which was much simpler than baseball).

I'll stop there.

Reaction Score
Came across the AD DB article today and read it.

Before then was basing my opinion on reading the OP’s extracts from it (sounded about 50/50 that KO will be brought back) and the subsequent barrage of replies from the BY.

My take after reading the article is that AD DB is not ok with what has happened the last 2 years.

Not on any level except that academically KO has done a great job. But that remark was said almost as a throwaway. As in here’s the one thing that I’m pleased with.

My biggest takeaway is that AD DB said (I’m paraphrasing) that missing the tourney is unacceptable. We should EXPECT, not “hope”, that we are in the tourney EVERY year. Hoping that we make the tourney is also unacceptable.

Everyone here debating the OP’s extracted quotes should read the full article. When I did so, I came away thinking that KO likely will not be retained. If he is, then he would’ve convinced AD DB that UConn will be a tourney team every year.

I think that’s still possible based on Jalen returns, and the other players who’ve been injured or ineligible return, all this years fresh return, and the recruits look better than expected. A perfect storm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Came across the AD DB article today and read it.

Before then was basing my opinion on reading the OP’s extracts from it (sounded about 50/50 that KO will be brought back) and the subsequent barrage of replies from the BY.

My take after reading the article is that AD DB is not ok with what has happened the last 2 years.

Not on any level except that academically KO has done a great job. But that remark was said almost as a throwaway. As in here’s the one thing that I’m pleased with.

My biggest takeaway is that AD DB said (I’m paraphrasing) that missing the tourney is unacceptable. We should EXPECT, not “hope”, that we are in the tourney EVERY year. Hoping that we make the tourney is also unacceptable.

Everyone here debating the OP’s extracted quotes should read the full article. When I did so, I came away thinking that KO likely will not be retained. If he is, then he would’ve convinced AD DB that UConn will be a tourney team every year.

I think that’s still possible based on Jalen returns, and the other players who’ve been injured or ineligible return, all this years fresh return, and the recruits look better than expected. A perfect storm.
Link?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@August_West should be required to change his name based on his 20+ win prediction from the beginning of the year

I have an avatar bet for 17 wins.

I still have hope but not looking good.

Reaction Score
Vance Jackson was already a major offensive force in many games for us and he was on track to continue starting with good production. The few times he posted up it looked like he had skills and even at 6’8” he would have been a better bet than our current bigs except for Carlton. KO should have sat him down and told him he was going to be one of the focuses along with Jalen in our offense and that they would all work toward getting better at defense. Somehow KO pissed him off and his father took that and finished it for him. He also rebounded, he was a solid body. I hate the attacks on him. He wasn’t perfect, a freshman with lots of upside.

No one is attacking him. And now it's not just that Ollie didn't have a plan for him but he also pissed him off? And his father? I thought the other guy just cleared it up that it was all his decision?

Reaction Score
So Ollie finds meaningful minutes for David Onuorah game after game, but shouldn't find a role for a guy who led the conference in 3 point shooting %? Ok. Even if Jackson was bad on D it wouldn't have been worse than what we had this season and we would have at least had one real good shooter to open things up. No doubt in my mind that the team would have been better WITH Jackson on it. You don't just let the leading three point shooter in the conference walk.

No one is saying the team is better without him. VJ playing the appropriate role would have made this years team better.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
When people say they know from “donors” can we quantify what level of donor you are talking about? I get that your $1000 donation is important to you but that isn’t paying for Ollie’s buyout

Reaction Score
My guess is AD Dave is giving KO one more shot with Adams, Gilbert, Akinjo, Vital, Wilson, etc.

If he doesn't make NCAA tournament, see you later.

Well said and to the point. Agree 100% I have to believe KO agrees too. He loves UCONN too much. Certainly doesn't want its demise in Men's basketball to be his legacy.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When people say they know from “donors” can we quantify what level of donor you are talking about? I get that your $1000 donation is important to you but that isn’t paying for Ollie’s buyout

Well, the $1000 donors aren't talking to Benedict, I can guarantee you that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
"...doesn't really mean anything..." and "... different experience..." don't stack up well side-by-side.

I can grant you yours with ease, without devaluing my 55 years that began with pre-I-84 rides on a school night to a cold place that first sounded like "Yukon," to being temporarily given a multi-colored ticket book that that allowed me to enter a big building with a dirt floor, walk by cheerleaders in short skirts, climb the bleacher stands, look over my shoulder to see the radio guys, watch the end of the Frosh game & full shoot around/layups, and see the UConn Huskies go up against the good & not-so-good including Dave Bing & Julius Erving. At halftime, I could walk beneath the stands to try to find the program I'd often drop, go to a concession stand by myself, and return to my dad and his friends in time to resume keeping score (which was much simpler than baseball).

I'll stop there.

In the early 90s security was so lax that 2 random kids could get into the locker room without being pepper sprayed by security.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom