Some quotes from Dave Benedict | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I don't know what the right decision is. I do know that it should be made for the future not the past or even the present.
I have also yet to hear any prospective replacement worthy of the job. But, I also don't need a name coach, I need a great one. If you can find the next JC or even Jay Wright at some mid major, terrific. I don't know if Hurley is that guy. With his name, he should have gotten his shot a while ago.
What exactly are your sources for hearing of prospective replacements worthy of the job?! The website pros at the Hartford Courant or the freakin' boneyard! In order to find a replacement they'd kind of need to fire Ollie and start a search and interview people. Until that happens saying that there are or are not worthy replacements is pure conjecture. It is not and cannot be a reason or rationale for retaining Ollie. Dom Perno wasn't fired because Jim Calhoun was standing outside Storrs or anywhere else with his resume.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So at 27 how can you sit around and post in a forum all day. Shpuldn't ypu be starting your career, making some money? Or does ypur boss not care what you do on his dime?

the counter at Burger King is only busy from 12 -1. After that, as long as Jmick wipes down the tables and trays and empties the trash they allow him on his phone between customers.

Reaction Score
More likely he didn't have a "plan" that Vance's Dad liked. Unless of course you have some insider knowledge?
LMAO, classic boneyard post. What's your source for Vance's dad making the decision? Can you link it?

A journalist with actual sources reports that Jackson left because when Ollie didn't have a plan for him in the offense moving forward.

His dad was a critic, but I've never seen it reported that VJ left because "his dad made him". That's the story that has been told on the Boneyard a million times, because he was critical on Twitter.

You could argue the decision was made when his dad tweeted "Glenn Miller leaving really hurts." the weekend before Vance announced his transfer.

But then my question for you is...who fired Glenn Miller?

If you've got a link where a credible journalist reports that the dad made the decision, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, I'm entirely justified for Ollie losing Jackson because 1) he didn't have a plan in the offense for his best shooter and 2) he fired Glenn Miller (which cost us MAL, and probably any chance at having a real offense).

Reaction Score
LMAO, classic boneyard post. What's your source for Vance's dad making the decision? Can you link it?

A journalist with actual sources reports that Jackson left because when Ollie didn't have a plan for him in the offense moving forward.

His dad was a critic, but I've never seen it reported that VJ left because "his dad made him". That's the story that has been told on the Boneyard a million times, because he was critical on Twitter.

You could argue the decision was made when his dad tweeted "Glenn Miller leaving really hurts." the weekend before Vance announced his transfer.

If you've got a link where a credible journalist reports that the dad made the decision, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, I'm entirely justified for Ollie losing Jackson because 1) he didn't have a plan in the offense for his best shooter and 2) he fired Glenn Miller (which cost us MAL, and probably any chance at having a real offense).
LMAO "losing MAL cause us any chance in real offense" Do u know how hes doing

Reaction Score
LMAO "losing MAL cause us any chance in real offense" Do u know how hes doing
That's not what I wrote.

"he fired Glenn Miller (which cost us MAL, and probably any chance at having a real offense)."

You're missing the context of the comma. Poorly worded, but that was in reference to Glenn Miller, not MAL.

Come back with something else.

Reaction Score

"more likely"....meaning my scenario is more likely than what a players Dad said. And not just any players Dad, one with a history of speaking out feeling his son was being misused.

It was reported that Ollie told him to get to work. Meaning improve yourself and the rest takes care of itself. There was not going to be any "plan" where he was promised shots, minutes or any kind of featured role.

Reaction Score
"more likely"....meaning my scenario is more likely than what a players Dad said. And not just any players Dad, one with a history of speaking out feeling his son was being misused.

It was reported that Ollie told him to get to work. Meaning improve yourself and the rest takes care of itself. There was not going to be any "plan" where he was promised shots, minutes or any kind of featured role.
So I've learned that you:
a) don't have a link
b) rely on conjecture and internet rumors.
c) don't believe a reporter with actual sources and,
d) mock those who have more faith in credible sources than conjecture and internet rumors.

Cool story bro.

Jackson didn't say he left because he wasn't made promises. But, it's not difficult to say "I'll promise you every opportunity to earn playing time as everyone else. You're going to have to work, we all are. If you do, good things will come. I see you as a 3 and d guy. With Jalen's ability to penetrate, you stand to get a lot of kick-outs for open threes. I also need you to help bust zones from deep. Continue to work on your shot, conditioning, strength, and defense. I want to see you develop all aspects of your game, keep getting better, and we can do great things."

But that's just off the cuff.

I don't know what Ollie said, but it was reported that he didn't have a plan for Jackson. If you've got a link to a story with sources, or a quote direct from Jackson or his dad, share it, because the rest is literally conjecture and rumors.

Reaction Score

The biggest issue with VJ was the lack of quickness. His measurements 6'8" with a 6'8" wingspan did not help much. The biggest thing he needed to work on was his body and dribbling. His basketball IQ was good. VJ was going to be stuck in his production level unless he was willing to work on gaining the lean muscles and increasing his vertical by a few inches. Shabazz did that this summer

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register’s Dave Borges reached out to Jackson’s father, Vance Jackson Sr., to try and find answers. Jackson Sr. has been outspoken on Twitter all season about his son’s playing time and utilization during games. Unfortunately, he locked his Twitter account, so trying to find those tweets isn’t practical.

But an excerpt from Borges’s story really, really caught my attention.

“’We talked it over, and for him to pursue his dreams, this was best for him,’ Jackson Sr. said. ‘We didn’t see things the same way, Vance, and me, and the coach, on how to utilize his skills. We wanted the best opportunity to utilize those skills, and it didn’t happen here.’”

“We?” Since when did Jackson Sr.’s opinion about the future of his son’s career carry as much weight as Vance himself?

This isn’t the first time this has happened at UConn. Alex Oriakhi, the starting power forward on UConn’s 2010-11 championship team, transferred before his senior season because of the 2013 postseason ban. While it’s a big deal that he left, the thing that made his departure unique was the fact that his father, Alex Oriakhi Sr., announced his transfer, not him.

Reaction Score
So I've learned that you:
a) don't have a link
b) rely on conjecture and internet rumors.
c) don't believe a reporter with actual sources and,
d) mock those who have more faith in credible sources than conjecture and internet rumors.

Cool story bro.

Jackson didn't say he left because he wasn't made promises. But, it's not difficult to say "I'll promise you every opportunity to earn playing time as everyone else. You're going to have to work, we all are. If you do, good things will come. I see you as a 3 and d guy. With Jalen's ability to penetrate, you stand to get a lot of kick-outs for open threes. I also need you to help bust zones from deep. Continue to work on your shot, conditioning, strength, and defense. I want to see you develop all aspects of your game, keep getting better, and we can do great things."

But that's just off the cuff.

I don't know what Ollie said, but it was reported that he didn't have a plan for Jackson. If you've got a link to a story with sources, or a quote direct from Jackson or his dad, share it, because the rest is literally conjecture and rumors.

um, to my point, that's likely along the lines of what Ollie told him. Now with everything we know about Vance Sr. do you really think he sees Vance as a 3 & D guy?

Reaction Score
Coach Kevin Ollie consistently called for Jackson to improve on defense, and as Jackson transferred out, his father, Vance Sr., indicated that the Huskies' offense was not a good fit for his skills. He played in 32 games, started 21, and averaged 26.9 minutes for UConn (16-17).
From the Hartford Courant.

Reaction Score
"It's going to be sad for him to go," said Vance Jackson Sr., Vance's father, Tuesday. "It's nothing that we really wanted to do. We thought it was best for him."

Jackson Sr. said his son can do a lot more than he showed playing for the Huskies, but he didn't see anything changing for the better next season.

"Vance just knows he can do a lot more with the basketball," Vance Jackson Sr. said. "UConn is just more associated with guards and the guards create for everybody. ... I just feel like it's limiting his abilities by just sitting in the corner ready to shoot. They don't have a plan to change anything for him. Vance can get to the basket a lot. He just wasn't allowed to play like that."

This from the New London Day.

Reaction Score
I was close with Rich Pagliuca-Harold Presley's coach at St Bernard's-when JC was hired. He told me that JC loved recruiting athletes and making them basketball players and he would be great at UConn. KO I think has some of that in his recruiting-but needs more kids that can shoot.
You are right on Coach P’s taken on Calhoun..but he also said that Calhoun loved recruiting athletic basketball players who Could Play D and shoot! I know this as fact because he was my guidance counselor and we talked at length about UConn MBB. He also told me that Harold never even considered UCONN because of the HC but if Calhoun was there when he was coming out it would have been different. Coach P would also be disgusted by this team and how Ollie game preps and makes in-game decisions! That man was an excellent coach! He would agree..time for a change in Storrs.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The biggest issue with VJ was the lack of quickness. His measurements 6'8" with a 6'8" wingspan did not help much. The biggest thing he needed to work on was his body and dribbling. His basketball IQ was good. VJ was going to be stuck in his production level unless he was willing to work on gaining the lean muscles and increasing his vertical by a few inches. Shabazz did that this summer

His IQ was not good - other freshmen were still pulling him aside and explaining the defensive scheme to him during the conference tourney.

Reaction Score
um, to my point, that's likely along the lines of what Ollie told him. Now with everything we know about Vance Sr. do you really think he sees Vance as a 3 & D guy?
Everything we know about Vance Sr. is based on 140 character tweets. Unless and until Vance Jr. says otherwise, he gets to decide what college he attends.

YG@VanceJackson1

The decision I had made had nothing to do with my pops it was a me decision that I took time and made for myself

7:34 PM - Mar 28, 2017

Reaction Score
You are just wrong on this one. There are plenty of casual fan alumni and plenty of die-hard non-alumni.

If you took the non-alumni out of the rent you couldn’t fill 5 sections beyond the students.
If you took the non-alumni out of a women's game in Gampel, you would have a ton of empty seats or three times that when Geno's girls play on the road. I know the women's game is different and attracts an older crowd, just stating a fact.

Reaction Score

I do think it may be a uniquely special experience if you grew up as a die hard UConn fan and then attended UConn (or whatever school you grew up a fan of). But there are plenty of people that grew up die hard UConn fans and did not go there, and plenty of alums that are not die hards. This is obvious. And presumably many of us non-Uconn alums are actually college graduates and are first and foremost Uconn fans, and not die-hards of our alma mater. As someone who grew up loving the Huskies and attended a pretty good basketball school I can firmly say that there was nothing so exceptional about seeing Scottie Reynolds on campus that made me convert my allegiance. It is cool to see Nova do well because now more people are familiar with the school throughout the country but at the end of the day, I am going to be much more passionate about the team I have been watching since I was 5.

Reaction Score
You still don't get it. My son started going to games as an infant. He is 30 yo lives in jersey, didn't go to UConn but is as a big a fan as they come. It is NOT just being an alum it is being a fan.
He drives 3 hours to go to games, watches all on TV because he is a true fan.

Wow, I didn't know KO's brother lived in NJ.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
VJ Sr.'s plan was he wanted his son to be the focal point of the offense and not have to worry about defense.

Reaction Score
That's not what I wrote.

"he fired Glenn Miller (which cost us MAL, and probably any chance at having a real offense)."

You're missing the context of the comma. Poorly worded, but that was in reference to Glenn Miller, not MAL.

Come back with something else.
Glenn Miller played the trombone, I believe Glen Miller is the man you are referring to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom