Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nope. That is exactly what we need to avoid. Knee jerk reaction to short term issue (recruits for next year) which is not aligned with long term strategic goal. I say if we dont get Hurley we take a couple months to figure this out.

Yeah, who wants a shotgun coaching search. I'd rather be careful and not #$%@ it up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
#readingcomprehensionmatters

You said the P5 is where the money is.

I said Villanova is not in the P5 and pays jay wright a hefty chunk.

Please continue to try and superjohn your way out of what you said though. It’s entertaining

Reaction Score
Yeah, who wants a shotgun coaching search. I'd rather be careful and not #$%@ it up.

Yeah put problem with so many comments about money is this same shortsightedness. If 3 to 3.5 is number for tier 1 coach, then it is the number. If we dont think Hurley can make us an elite program again (perennial top 25) then we should stop and find that person. But the cost is the cost. The money should not be part of the discussion. The first decision is do we want to be back among the elites. If the answer is yes, find the coach and overpay him. The revenues will as they did in the past, cover it

Reaction Score
8 NCAA tournaments sounds a bit high? JC was 18/25. Under Hurley, I'd think in the 65%-70% neighborhood. jmo tho

And remember, Hurley has to build this up again. Not from scratch, but this isn't an F16 ready to take off.
Our league was the BE. Once he gets rolling, he should be able to do better almost by default; even Cronin has gone to something like 7 straight NCAAs. We can and should do that.

Reaction Score
Right now $1.7m. They extended last year. Xavier's not going to be able to come up with matching doe. They'll need to do it again likely to keep him.

He'll be able to get $3.5-4m out of Louisville. Maybe more.
I get that this top compensation for college coaches these days, but this is INSANE. Steve Spurrier was thrilled to get $70,000 a year from Duke in 1987 to be the head 'ball coach, after being thrilled previous to that to make $70,000 for the first time coaching the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Our league was the BE. Once he gets rolling, even Cronin has gone to something like 7 straight NCAAs. We can and should do that.

It matters what other schools do. I don't see this league (from a BBall perspective) standing pat. Hires like Penny Hardaway will happen more frequently I think. It will get harder to win.

I guess it depends on how the committee views the league going forward. If the league gets stronger, and they don't compensate with more bids, then that's a problem. It makes it doubly hard.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I've decided that I'm completely giving up on the idea that anything good will happen to us, so that if/when anything good does happen, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it goes as ai expect, I'll have already prepared myself. This is the essential psychology of a UConn fan in this era

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on how the committee views you going forward.

And more importantly, what other schools do. I don't see this league (from a BBall perspective) standing pat. Hires like Penny Hardaway will happen more frequently I think.
Think about some of the better teams that missed the tournament. Caron's freshmen year and Rip's, and say the 2010 team--they were all very to vaguely bubblish, and seemed like tourney teams until the BE beat them down. A softer schedule and on the back end and they might have kept confidence and made it.

Or, say, our crappy 2007 that was at one point ranked like 13. If they didn't then go into a gauntlet BE, but instead ended up something like 24-7 rather than 17-14 (and there were a lot of close losses to pretty good teams), they probably squeak in.

Reaction Score
We Need:

6b41fd33b36a1ce27fc0a3b8f9d8df4c_768_432.jpg

Oh he’s definitely watching. When a decision is made he’ll pop back on and say he knew all along (regardless of what happens) and say that everyone here is stupid for panicking

Reaction Score
I am shocked they don't fly charter. Could you imagine if UConn didn't fly charter? It would take 12 hours to get to some of the schools in the AAC.

This is normal. I flew from JFK to San Francisco with Johnny Dawkins and the entire Stanford team sitting in coach.

Reaction Score
Not even being arrogant man, but it's URI. They got a $4.5m BB budget. We spent $10m on some tile for a roof.
Charter flights is a relatively recent phenomenon. The Old Big East was like the old American Hockey League, aka a bus league. BC, St. Johns, PC, SH, Gtown and Villanova all close by. Same with the older A-10, although trips to St. Bonaventure sucked.
Can't imagine trips to Tulsa, UCF, USF and East Carolina without charter flights. Assumed URI and most D-1 schools flew charter

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Dan’s father never took jobs just for the money. The fact that he didn’t just take that Pitt offer and is giving Dave and Susan a chance to get in the ballpark is encouraging. 5 years for 17mil with some backload might just do it. If not we move on. Syracuse is .500 in the ACC, it’s not easy to win and Pitt will have trouble replicating even that.

Reaction Score
Not even being arrogant man, but it's URI. They got a $4.5m BB budget. We spent $10m on some tile for a roof.

The State of Connecticut taxpayers paid for that roof and now we are broke. UConn still owes a Kevin Ollie $10 million!

GE moved out to Boston, Malloy suspended every highway project in the State and we need to add highway tolls. Hartford is on the brink of bankruptcy and we have to spend $100 million just to sell the Civic Center to a private buyer.

Who is writing these checks on your behalf for UConn athletics? You must not be a State taxpayer.

The arrogance of some of you fans throwing State money at an Athletic Department in disarray. Sorry, but there are a lot less UConn fans than you think, and even less who think UConn can buy it way out of administrative mismanagement, poor coaching, and dwindling attendance.

You just paid $5 m to get rid of Diaco and are paying Randy Edsall $1 M a year - why in the world should we expect UConn to pay Hurley $2M a year?

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut taxpayers paid for that roof and now we are broke. UConn still owes a Kevin Ollie $10 million!

GE moved out to Boston, Malloy suspended every highway project in the State and we need to add highway tolls. Hartford is on the brink of bankruptcy and we have to spend $100 million just to sell the Civic Center to a private buyer.

Who is writing these checks on your behalf for UConn athletics? You must not be a State taxpayer.

The arrogance of some of you fans throwing State money at an Athletic Department in disarray. Sorry, but there are a lot less UConn fans than you think, and even less who think UConn can buy it way out of administrative mismanagement, poor coaching, and dwindling attendance.

You just paid $5 m to get rid of Diaco and are paying Randy Edsall $1 M a year - why in the world should we expect UConn to pay Hurley $2M a year?
go away

Reaction Score
URI blog saying he is going to Pitt ( 17 minutes ago). Announcement tomorrow

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

Boo this man.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

It’s called the Uconn Fund. We don’t pay coaches with taxpayer money, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom