Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The fact that two message boards are freaking out--forgetting entirely about Pitt, who seems to have moved past Hurley on their board--this affects literally no one's reputation. URI just finished playing Saturday. It's Tuesday. Things aren't dragging out.

Playing out faster than I thought it would, that's for sure.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Notice the tweet didn’t say “accepted.” I’m gonna assume all sides have had an offer on the table since at least yesterday. Someone probably just leaked their offer to Rothstein

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sort of feels like a desperation bid by Pitt, no?

Not necessarily. That's the market these days. You are going to be seeing more bids near 3-3.5m for decent major jobs. It's a Top 15 salary currently. I expect it to be Top 25 within a few years.

I mean, WSU is paying Greg Marshall $3mil. Let that sink in.

Reaction Score
Because if this is true they are offering to make Hurley one of the 10 highest paid coaches in MBB (more than Bennett and Marshall, somewhere in the vicinity of Beilein).

I like Hurley, and it might be a fair wage, maybe, but the guy hasn't yet made it to a S16.

Seems like they know they can't get him any other way, and are just throwing money at him in a last ditch effort.
... if Pitt has program-generated + committed donated dollars in hand to fund their offer, the other info is irrelevant. We may just have different perceptions and definitions of desperate, but if Hurley opts for more dinero from Pit then UConn moves onward. Egg on AD David Benedict's face or not, life will move forward.

Reaction Score
So do we match or just narrow the gap? On some levels I wouldn't mind the narrative being "DH took less to play at UConn."
Hard to say, even harder to know what is true. Hypothetically, you narrow the gap. Offer him 5 years 12.5mil. If its a pure money grab, go be a bottom dweller in the ACC.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Notice the tweet didn’t say “accepted.” I’m gonna assume all sides have had an offer on the table since at least yesterday. Someone probably just leaked their offer to Rothstein

Yeah I feel the same way... the info is relayed on delay and not real-time .

Reaction Score
This is clearly a leak (of the Pitt $ offer) by the Hurley camp to drive up UConn’s offer. I am actually more optimistic that we land him now. He doesn’t want to move his family from the area, and it’s smart to try and extract every last dollar before signing. My guess is 5 yrs/13 mill (2.6/yr avg) fully guaranteed.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We haven't heard Pitt really mentioned as a serious contender since before yesterday. It's been largely rumored to be between UConn and URI. There were even reports that Pitt expanded their search. We knew Pitt could and probably would offer more annually, this isn't really 'new' from Rothstein.

This leak of Pitt offer $ feels like a last minute ploy by Hurley's agent to squeeze some more $ out of the informal agreement with UConn.

I hope. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Just passing along what I know. He lives on the same floor as the players who he claims say it isn't done.

I would imagine in this day and age that players learn about this stuff on Twitter just like the rest of us. News travels too fast.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is clearly a leak (of the Pitt $ offer) by the Hurley camp to drive up UConn’s offer. I am actually more optimistic that we land him now. He doesn’t want to move his family from the area, and it’s smart to try and extract every last dollar before signing. My guess is 5 yrs/13 mill (2.6/yr avg) fully guaranteed.

Another insane buyout.....

Reaction Score
Money talks, but some things to bear in mind here:

-He's basically got to recruit a whole team to get its face stomped in for next season.
-They're 4-5 years away. Realistically. From even contending for the tournament
-Their recruiting footprint is weird. It's changed more with the ACC.
-The focus on hoops isn't there like it is here.

It's a tougher job right now. So to even be at the table, they've gotta toss a lot of money.

Also his agent could be leaking this to get more money out of UConn. Also Pitt could be leaking this to save face to say they tried.

You just don't know.

What I would say is URI's probably effectively out of the running if this is the kind of money being thrown around.

Reaction Score
Another insane buyout.....

I'm sorry, but if you're projecting how costly a buyout would be instead of realizing how important the next coach hire is for this program.....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So do we match or just narrow the gap? On some levels I wouldn't mind the narrative being "DH took less to play at UConn."
I wouldn't match because I don't think we have to. I they offered $3M and we offered $2.5 I would think we get this done without matching. I was worried about Pitt going even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom