Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. That's the market these days. You are going to be seeing more bids near 3-3.5m for decent major jobs. It's a Top 15 salary currently. I expect it to be Top 25 within a few years.

I mean, WSU is paying Greg Marshall $3mil. Let that sink in.

Make a final 4 and you can be worthy of that paycheck. If I'm AD Dave, I'm maxing out at 2.5. Other options out there. Worst case I think you do Calhoun for 2 years to stabilize the program, get us back on track and then we can afford to pay the next up and comer then. Or look at Oats/Odom/Musselman. Do I like Hurley a lot, yes. But count me as someone who doesn't think he's worth breaking the bank over.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wouldn't match because I don't think we have to. I they offered $3M and we offered $2.5 I would think we get this done without matching. I was worried about Pitt going even higher.

If we get him for less than 3mil, it's a steal. As I said above, that's the market for a good coach these days. Greg Marshall makes 3mil at WSU for gods sake.

Reaction Score
Money talks, but some things to bear in mind here:

-He's basically got to recruit a whole team to get its face stomped in for next season.
-They're 4-5 years away. Realistically. From even contending for the tournament
-Their recruiting footprint is weird. It's changed more with the ACC.
-The focus on hoops isn't there like it is here.

It's a tougher job right now. So to even be at the table, they've gotta toss a lot of money.

Also his agent could be leaking this to get more money out of UConn. Also Pitt could be leaking this to save face to say they tried.

You just don't know.

What I would say is URI's probably effectively out of the running if this is the kind of money being thrown around.
No one likes to lose. And that's what Pitt's going to do, a lot next year. Whereas at UConn, with the right recruit or two, he can be a tournament team next year with the wind in his sails.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't match because I don't think we have to. I they offered $3M and we offered $2.5 I would think we get this done without matching. I was worried about Pitt going even higher.
Might still need some good faith movement like performance bonus or buyout sweetening.

Reaction Score
Money talks, but some things to bear in mind here:

-He's basically got to recruit a whole team to get its face stomped in for next season.
-They're 4-5 years away. Realistically. From even contending for the tournament
-Their recruiting footprint is weird. It's changed more with the ACC.
-The focus on hoops isn't there like it is here.

It's a tougher job right now. So to even be at the table, they've gotta toss a lot of money.

Also his agent could be leaking this to get more money out of UConn. Also Pitt could be leaking this to save face to say they tried.

You just don't know.

What I would say is URI's probably effectively out of the running if this is the kind of money being thrown around.

Pitt is a far more challenging job and might be unsalvageable. The current ACC is a warzone and he has a massive hill to climb.

This may be the first time being in the AAC helps us. We're much, much closer to a turn around than Pitt is. Our cupboard is far from bare and he can win the AAC next year if he brings in a few recruits.

Reaction Score
If we get him for less than 3mil, it's a steal. As I said above, that's the market for a good coach these days. Greg Marshall makes 3mil at WSU for gods sake.
Marshall's also been to a Final Four out of a worse conference than the A10, and had an undefeated season, and been to the NCAAs 7 straight years.

They have to pay more to keep a good coach, too, since they have little else going for them other than Koch money.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Thanks for your contributions.
tenor.gif

Reaction Score

I think the Pitt possibility is the most likely. They need to say "Hey we did everything. Look at this ludicrous offer"

Check the wording of the tweet. Clearly from a Pitt perspective, not an agent perspective. Everything we heard was URI or UConn most likely UConn. And now it's "UConn & URI still in play."

Considering we were told an agreement was basically in place with UConn and we've heard Pitt's offer would be around 3 million for a while now, this leak wouldn't be telling UConn anything they didn't already know. If the agent wanted to send a message to UConn, they'd have included something about Hurley's feelings, like being tempted or "Hurley having trouble turning it down", etc.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because if this is true they are offering to make Hurley one of the 10 highest paid coaches in MBB (more than Bennett and Marshall, somewhere in the vicinity of Beilein).

I like Hurley, and it might be a fair wage, maybe, but the guy hasn't yet made it to a S16.

Seems like they know they can't get him any other way, and are just throwing money at him in a last ditch effort.

Top 15 now man. And moving towards Top 20 quickly. Greg Marshall makes $3mil.

If you want to steal a coach, $3mil is what you are looking at for a big job these days. The markets been moving.

Jay Wright at 2.5m is underpaid, Like JC was there for a while.

Reaction Score

We could also offer incentives based on wins, tournament appearances ,etc that increase over time

Reaction Score
At some point you need to put your cards on the table and let them speak for themselves. UConn should have a strong offer in place. URI has the comfort advantage and Pitt the financial. UConn has the happy medium. So we need to make the offer strong enough to pry Hurley away from URI and strong enough to give Hurley the ability to turn down Pitt's more lucrative offer. With URI, we need to see the significantly better facilities, tradition, other resources, and financial package. With Pitt, we need to have to offer high enough so that we can show that it isn't a big deal after tax, and that the rest of the situation is better (for all the reasons we've shared). B

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Might still need some good faith movement like performance bonus or buyout sweetening.
Agreed, especially with the likely tax and cost of living differences between the two.

Reaction Score
Make a final 4 and you can be worthy of that paycheck. If I'm AD Dave, I'm maxing out at 2.5. Other options out there. Worst case I think you do Calhoun for 2 years to stabilize the program, get us back on track and then we can afford to pay the next up and comer then. Or look at Oats/Odom/Musselman. Do I like Hurley a lot, yes. But count me as someone who doesn't think he's worth breaking the bank over.

Ah yes, because 2 years of a hall of fame coach would be so cheap!

Let's not forget how much work will go into this turnaround. Calhoun had to retire because of his health, he just doesn't have this project in him. And to act like he'd magically stabilize the program out of thin air is so ridiculous, like he's some sort of back up plan. Get a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom