Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he chooses to stay at URI, it might be a new low point for the program. To think it's even under consideration to stay at URI is insulting to our current state. If he goes to Pitt, I'll obviously be upset but I will understand. Better conference and likely more money.
This is a hilariously short sighted take. At URI if he is able to Jim Calhoun them up, he is the Jim Calhoun rather than the guy who came after Jim Calhoun and Ollie...

You can't look at them on equal footing, have to consider the fact that he already has built something there and could build more, rather than revive a stubborn whiny fan base who bad mouths the players and coach just 3 years removed from a national title

Reaction Score
we need a donor to step up in the worst way here
My guess is Dave has one or more donors already lined up. He didn't fire Ollie and come into this "gunfight" with an empty chamber! ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Was just making a funny, you listed his name twice

Ha, putting my hand up. I'm the idiot.

upload_2018-3-20_16-14-30.jpeg

Reaction Score
Fair, but look at some others. Guys who've never even had college experience are getting almost 3mil (Avergy Johnson).

But I'd argue it's harder to sign away a new coach. It's always easier to get an incubent to stay. Kinda like free agency. When you are in a bidding war, you always over pay. And no need to change means you don't need to offer as much.
Avery Johnson coached a team in the NBA Finals, though.

But yeah, I take your point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Another insane buyout.....

Do schools really have a choice at this point? Coaches have the leverage right now.

You could negotiate a contract that has a '50% of the remaining deal' buyout. In any case, he's not getting canned in 3 years, so that would be a $5m buyout. Not great, but not egregious.

Anyway, UCONN's offer is going to likely hinge not on base, but on incetivized portions and 'external' benefits.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If he chooses to stay at URI, it might be a new low point for the program. To think it's even under consideration to stay at URI is insulting to our current state. If he goes to Pitt, I'll obviously be upset but I will understand. Better conference and likely more money.
If he stays....well frankly I just think less of him. This is a major chance to do something big for the second 1/2 of his coaching life. Very big.

Reaction Score

If he stays at URI with a 3 million dollar offer on the table, there's nothing we could have done.

Reaction Score

Interesting tidbit from that article:

Patrick School coach Chris Chavannes, who coached Langevine, is all too familiar with Hurley. His father, of course, is legendary former St. Anthony’s coach Bob Hurley Sr. and his older brother is former St. Anthony’s and Duke legend Bobby Hurley, now the head coach at Arizona State. Dan Hurley began his coaching career at St. Benedict’s Prep, where he coached current Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith, among others.

“Well, everywhere he’s been, he’s proven that he can recruit for that level,” Chavannes said. “I still think that that conference [the AAC] is a problem when I listen to my kids and the other kids talk. They’re not very complimentary about the conference, so I think that’s going to be a big stumbling block to get over. But he’s done it everywhere he’s been.”

AAC vs. ACC has been discussed enough in this thread, so I don't think my two cents would change much. But this statement, by the head coach of a powerhouse basketball school, should alert some.

Reaction Score
Interesting tidbit from that article:

Patrick School coach Chris Chavannes, who coached Langevine, is all too familiar with Hurley. His father, of course, is legendary former St. Anthony’s coach Bob Hurley Sr. and his older brother is former St. Anthony’s and Duke legend Bobby Hurley, now the head coach at Arizona State. Dan Hurley began his coaching career at St. Benedict’s Prep, where he coached current Cleveland Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith, among others.

“Well, everywhere he’s been, he’s proven that he can recruit for that level,” Chavannes said. “I still think that that conference [the AAC] is a problem when I listen to my kids and the other kids talk. They’re not very complimentary about the conference, so I think that’s going to be a big stumbling block to get over. But he’s done it everywhere he’s been.”

AAC vs. ACC has been discussed enough in this thread, so I don't think my two cents would change much. But this statement, by the head coach of a powerhouse basketball school, should alert some.

It's not surprising at all. But we don't need to get the best kids, we need to get the right kids who can be developed. Hell, Calhoun didn't get the best kids for much of his career. I think Hurley will be able to find enough of those kids in the northeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom