Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Gary Parrish on CBS Sports HQ (plays on a loop in the CBS Sports app) says DH is struggling with the decision, receiving conflicting advice from different friends. Parrish thinks it's less likely he doesn't stay at URI, at least. EDIT : Meant to say "Parrish thinks it's less likely he stays at URI"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LMAO some of you are really saying he isn't worth it because he hasn't made the Sweet 16.

You're right, he's failed to take Wagner or Rhode Island to the Sweet Sixteen.

Wagner.
Or Rhode Island.
Just pointing out the difference in where those salaries are.

He's my preferred candidate, so if we pay $3M, that's fine. But more just an absolute surprise given where that would put him among other coaches.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Make a final 4 and you can be worthy of that paycheck. If I'm AD Dave, I'm maxing out at 2.5. Other options out there. Worst case I think you do Calhoun for 2 years to stabilize the program, get us back on track and then we can afford to pay the next up and comer then. Or look at Oats/Odom/Musselman. Do I like Hurley a lot, yes. But count me as someone who doesn't think he's worth breaking the bank over.

Not anymore. If you are not ponying up, it's tough. Only 4 NC coaches in the Top 20. Look at some of the coaches getting paid at their respective schools.

Jacobs: UConn close to signing Hurley

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict is a guy who enters these situations with a plan. He came in knowing Pitt would offer big bucks...so this isn't surprising to him. He also didn't start by making his highest offer to DH at the outset. He's prepared to ratchet up our offer...but will draw the line for DH before it gets out of control. Then DH needs to make a decision about what's most important to him. I think he'll accept DB's offer.

Reaction Score
2.5 -3mill per?

My response...

_48836154_bolt_beijing.jpg

Run for the hills!

Reaction Score
If he chooses to stay at URI, it might be a new low point for the program. To think it's even under consideration to stay at URI is insulting to our current state. If he goes to Pitt, I'll obviously be upset but I will understand. Better conference and likely more money.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Marshall's also been to a Final Four out of a worse conference than the A10, and had an undefeated season, and been to the NCAAs 7 straight years.

Fair, but look at some others. Guys who've never even had college experience are getting almost 3mil (Avergy Johnson).

They have to pay more to keep a good coach, too, since they have little else going for them other than Koch money.

But I'd argue it's harder to sign away a new coach. It's always easier to get an incubent to stay. Kinda like free agency. When you are in a bidding war, you always over pay. And no need to change means you don't need to offer as much.

Reaction Score
This news is old. If he agrees expect a 2.3-2.6/yr salary

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
we need a donor to step up in the worst way here

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is interesting:
Hurley_Contract_pg_2_.png

Hurley's buyout is $1.5M in equal monthly installments over the remaining term of the agreement or $1M lump sum within 90 days. Gives us a little more flexibility.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

WTF is this guy bitching about? Letting the people involved in a negotiation know what the other offers are?

The horror!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Did Lon Kruger take a pay cut before you finished your post?

I'm maybe using old or incorret information. Oh well. This list is the easiest to navigate, so I was using it:

USA TODAY Sports

I suspect it underbakes several contracts. So the market is even higher.

Reaction Score
WTF is this guy bitching about? Letting the people involved in a negotiation know what the other offers are?

The horror!
What I found interesting was the mention that "no info was out there for 2 weeks". The guy's season just finished Saturday. Why would there be info out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom