Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 183 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Meh. They said the same about us. History, big fan base, commitment to basketball excellence will keep that job relevant.

Now, if they go and do something stupid and hire McNamara, he may run them into the ground, and then it'll be hard to pick themselves back up given their recent regular seasons.

But I think they're solidly Top 15 in terms of jobs.

One title is excellence? Well then, CCNY is a top 10 job, too!

I actually agree with you by the way, just wanted to get a jab in at the fact that they only have one title.

Reaction Score
"To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."
Are you -ing kidding me. Let me know the next time a student, based on academic standards, chooses UConn over UVa, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA. Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region. "

"Exactly. A UConn degree isn't holding much more water than any other New England University is."

URI fans are so salty ahaha. They are lying to themselves to cope with the hurt they are feeling

I’m not in a place to pull it up - but USNewsWR had us at #18 public, correct? I mapped out the total rankings (not just public) of the ACC schools - and we were high middle compared to them. Yes, I have issues...but, that’s neither here nor there. Guess who was a distant last...UofL.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Totally off topic, but I feel like the UVM name is worth far less today than 30 years ago. When I think of UVM, I think of coffee baristas, ski lift operators and organic products.

Perhaps, but its worth far more than URI's name today. The Rams are literally tied with Umass Lowell in the latest US News rankings. Also to your previous post, Uconn is a better ranked across the board (except Communications) than Syracuse. There will always be New Yorkers who prefer Syracuse, (Tulane, Wisconsin et al) because they have a lot of Jewish students (for example). But Uconn has passed Syracuse academically.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not in a place to pull it up - but USNewsWR had us at #18 public, correct? I mapped out the total rankings (not just public) of the ACC schools - and we were high middle compared to them. Yes, I have issues...but, that’s neither here nor there. Guess who was a distant last...UofL.
That "university" is a skidmark on the underpants of society.

Reaction Score
I never bother to wade into this topic on the boneyard, but as a white collar professional living down in lower FF County, in my world Syracuse still has a lot more prestige and mojo with high earners. More people in my neighborhood would still choose Syracuse over instate tuition at UConn for their child. UConn has made great strides academically and every year that preference differential is narrowing, but its still the case that monied types in NYC and the NYC burbs lean Syracuse. My office has three parents with Syracuse kids and zero UConn kids (but we tend to hire UConn!). UConn will get closer to equal footing in another 30 years as the new improved UConn alumni base ages into their higher earning years, but that takes generations. And as far as places to live during school years, well Storrs is better, but I have to say nobody down this way thinks Storrs is a 10 and Syracuse a 3, its more like a 3 vs 6 on the scale. Its way too early to talk of the demise of the Syracuse brand...unfortunately it still has juice.

For what it's worth, most people in academia consider Syracuse to be equal or below UConn in terms of quality.

UConn and Syracuse graduates earn roughly the same amount post graduation and Cuse is obviously much more expensive.

I think what you're experiencing is a (slowly dying) Northeastern phenomenon that believes that private schools are inherently better than public schools which is very obviously not the case.

Reaction Score
To continue
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/compare?xwalk_id=129020&xwalk_id=231174&xwalk_id=217484

Rhode Island is the 80th ranked public college in America and Vermont is #41

second highest New England school is Umass at #29

The Delusion is strong over at the Rhode Island board

Reaction Score
That Rhode Island place is something else...
Yeah, I spent some of today there and they are bitter about a whole lot beyond Hurley.

Also, they very clearly didn't understand the role that history plays in college sports to think they were even two or three shouting distances from us. Sad how many of them trashed Hurley and his belief in family because of that. Not all of them, but enough.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never bother to wade into this topic on the boneyard, but as a white collar professional living down in lower FF County, in my world Syracuse still has a lot more prestige and mojo with high earners. More people in my neighborhood would still choose Syracuse over instate tuition at UConn for their child. UConn has made great strides academically and every year that preference differential is narrowing, but its still the case that monied types in NYC and the NYC burbs lean Syracuse. My office has three parents with Syracuse kids and zero UConn kids (but we tend to hire UConn!). UConn will get closer to equal footing in another 30 years as the new improved UConn alumni base ages into their higher earning years, but that takes generations. And as far as places to live during school years, well Storrs is better, but I have to say nobody down this way thinks Storrs is a 10 and Syracuse a 3, its more like a 3 vs 6 on the scale. Its way too early to talk of the demise of the Syracuse brand...unfortunately it still has juice.
Interesting. West of New York City it is just the opposite. UConn is held in higher esteem. Not that 'cuse is a bad choice but UConn is harder to get into and is a high public which beats non-ivy privates.

Reaction Score
Blocked or private? I cant see Ollies page either but thats because I dont follow him
blocked. I used to follow him but when I click his profile it says I am blocked from seeing his tweets

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, most people in academia consider Syracuse to be equal or below UConn in terms of quality.

UConn and Syracuse graduates earn roughly the same amount post graduation and Cuse is obviously much more expensive.

I think what you're experiencing is a (slowly dying) Northeastern phenomenon that believes that private schools are inherently better than public schools which is very obviously not the case.

A great example of this phenomena are the Quinnipiac students that were chanting "safety school" at the UConn hockey team when they played.

That is...wrong.

Reaction Score
A great example of this phenomena are the Quinnipiac students that were chanting "safety school" at the UConn hockey team when they played.

That is...wrong.
With some schools that may have been the case a while back.

For Quinnipiac that was the case...never.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That is...wrong.
Even more so from our friends at Quinny.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

That is...wrong.
Jeez. Talk about being clueless.

They were the OG safety school.

Reaction Score
And for as much crap as we may give Herbst for things on the athletic side, she made that happen.
Which also caused UConn to become much more strict with parties by hiring more police to shut them down which sucks when you are trying to have a good time.

I guess I can understand now that I graduated lol.

Reaction Score
I need an update on the Diallo/Hurley thread competition. Yes, I could look it up myself, but that's not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom