Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 182 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cuse a top 5-10 job?? Yikes those inbreds really are delusional. Wait till Boeheim retires and literally no one of relevance wants that job. They are in for a reality check pretty soon. They are basically teetering on the edge right now if it weren't for the committee gifting them a bid this year.

I feel dirty rooting for Duke but here we are...

Reaction Score
Cuse a top 5-10 job?? Yikes those inbreds really are delusional. Wait till Boeheim retires and literally no one of relevance wants that job. They are in for a reality check pretty soon. They are basically teetering on the edge right now if it weren't for the committee gifting them a bid this year.

I feel dirty rooting for Duke but here we are...
Meh. They said the same about us. History, big fan base, commitment to basketball excellence will keep that job relevant.

Now, if they go and do something stupid and hire McNamara, he may run them into the ground, and then it'll be hard to pick themselves back up given their recent regular seasons.

But I think they're solidly Top 15 in terms of jobs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, they're Top 10 best case, more like Top 20. But the reality is coaches stake out their turf--West Coast guys rarely come East Coast, etc.--and a coach who is successful at Syracuse wouldn't leave to go to Michigan, even though Michigan is almost certainly the better job in a vacuum. So it's hard to compare.

UCLA
Duke
Kansas
UNC
Kentucky
Indiana

Are all obviously better.

Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State
Arizona
Louisville
Villanova

All strike me as better jobs, but you probably couldn't poach a coach from Syracuse to. Indiana might be in that second tier.

If/when UConn is rolling again, they're in that second tier of jobs.

We've already proven we're better than a bunch of P5 schools merely by getting Hurley.
Would a coach that never went to cuse want to go there? I’m not saying it bc of the school but bc of everything else weather, distance, etc. They’re saying McNamara is top of the list.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Meh. They said the same about us. History, big fan base, commitment to basketball excellence will keep that job relevant.

Now, if they go and do something stupid and hire McNamara, he may run them into the ground, and then it'll be hard to pick themselves back up given their recent regular seasons.

I was actually thinking yesterday how fortunate we are that it was Pitt that has the vacancy and not Syracuse. ACC$ + Syracuse would have been very hard to beat.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
giphy.gif
Is he on the Satellite of Love?

Reaction Score
Would a coach that never went to cuse want to go there? I’m not saying it bc of the school but bc of everything else weather, distance, etc. They’re saying McNamara is top of the list.
I think they could do better than McNamara.

I think they could get anyone in the A10, just like we did, and they could get some AAC coaches as well (if we weren't in the conference--and there were worthwhile coaches--we could to).

I think they could take a successful P5 coach from a weaker school, too.

Don't underestimate history, resources, and commitment to basketball. It's why people thought Pitt would beat us but didn't.

Reaction Score
But they went out of their way to say they're doing a national search.

If they can offer something like $2, they can actually attract a good coach.

I looked into it a bit more. Looks like he's owed a buyout if they don't name him coach, but is not technically "coach in waiting". Plus probably losing their best recruiting class if they go elsewhere. I'd be shocked if they didn't promote him.

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking yesterday how fortunate we are that it was Pitt that has the vacancy and not Syracuse. ACC$ + Syracuse would have been very hard to beat.
Syracuse + ACC would probably beat us, all things considered. I'm not sure it would with Hurley, given how close he wants to be to his family in NJ and Syracuse is in Canada, but other coaches it would almost certainly be a trump card.

We have better history--but not significantly; theirs is longer--and they have more money and better opponents. I think this is why Benedict fired KO when he did rather than giving him another year. He wanted to lock someone in now before bigger openings happened, and our real main competition could have been Louisville, which wouldn't have opened up but for the disaster that was what happened to them. In a few years, there are a number of really good job openings coming up at UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and probably UCLA.

None of those (but Cuse) might have looked at Hurley, but why have another crappy year and hope?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We've got a way better location, given the talent in the local preps. Even though Storrs ain't great, it's a hell of a lot nicer place to be than Syracuse, especially, again, because of location. We've got better pull, despite what they think, in NYC. Now with Danny, we'll likely have a leg up on NJ.

And while their conference is better, it's a hell of a lot harder to win in than the AAC. They'll always be second fiddle to UNC/Duke. We would too.

Cuse is going to be really good next year probably, so that will give them a bump.

Reaction Score
We've got a way better location, given the talent in the local preps. Even though Storrs ain't great, it's a hell of a lot nicer place to be than Syracuse, especially, again, because of location. We've got better pull, despite what they think, in NYC. Now with Danny, we'll likely have a leg up on NJ.

And while their conference is better, it's a hell of a lot harder to win in than the AAC. They'll always be second fiddle to UNC/Duke. We would too.

Cuse is going to be really good next year probably, so that will give them a bump.
Yeah, I think we're a better job if we're in the same conference. I also don't think they could poach a coach from us.

But Syracuse isn't Pitt.

They also look like they'll do the same thing we did, which I would be quite happy about.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Syracuse + ACC would probably beat us, all things considered. I'm not sure it would with Hurley, given how close he wants to be to his family in NJ and Syracuse is in Canada, but other coaches it would almost certainly be a trump card.

We have better history--but not significantly; theirs is longer--and they have more money and better opponents. I think this is why Benedict fired KO when he did rather than giving him another year. He wanted to lock someone in now before bigger openings happened, and our real main competition could have been Louisville, which wouldn't have opened up but for the disaster that was what happened to them. In a few years, there are a number of really good job openings coming up at UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and probably UCLA.

None of those (but Cuse) might have looked at Hurley, but why have another crappy year and hope?

I never bother to wade into this topic on the boneyard, but as a white collar professional living down in lower FF County, in my world Syracuse still has a lot more prestige and mojo with high earners. More people in my neighborhood would still choose Syracuse over instate tuition at UConn for their child. UConn has made great strides academically and every year that preference differential is narrowing, but its still the case that monied types in NYC and the NYC burbs lean Syracuse. My office has three parents with Syracuse kids and zero UConn kids (but we tend to hire UConn!). UConn will get closer to equal footing in another 30 years as the new improved UConn alumni base ages into their higher earning years, but that takes generations. And as far as places to live during school years, well Storrs is better, but I have to say nobody down this way thinks Storrs is a 10 and Syracuse a 3, its more like a 3 vs 6 on the scale. Its way too early to talk of the demise of the Syracuse brand...unfortunately it still has juice.

Reaction Score
"To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."
Are you kidding me. Let me know the next time a student, based on academic standards, chooses UConn over UVa, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA. Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region. "

"Exactly. A UConn degree isn't holding much more water than any other New England University is."

URI fans are so salty ahaha. They are lying to themselves to cope with the hurt they are feeling

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
"Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region. "

Totally off topic, but I feel like the UVM name is worth far less today than 30 years ago. When I think of UVM, I think of coffee baristas, ski lift operators and organic products.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Totally off topic, but I feel like the UVM name is worth far less today than 30 years ago. When I think of UVM, I think of coffee baristas, ski lift operators and organic products.

If by organic products, you mean copious amounts of mary jane, then you are spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom