Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 181 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he was coach-in-waiting, right? Seems like almost a lock they promote him.
But they went out of their way to say they're doing a national search.

If they can offer something like $2, they can actually attract a good coach.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
LOL @August_West in their heads

0D702CC7-58A7-4F8B-9A8A-C5F06863C886.jpeg

Reaction Score
4.500 replies, amazing guys. 500 more to go.

This has been a fun ride, hope it never stops. lets ride this to championship number 5.

Reaction Score
The irony is unbelievable over on that Cuse board. They call us "the result of one man's work (Calhoun) and the old Big East". They need to talk a long, hard look in the mirror.

They have a program that's been .500 in conference play over the last four seasons and has lost at least 13 games in each one of those seasons. And they haven't had to replace their "legendary" coach yet. I got news for Cuse fans, their glory days are just as long gone as UConn's are. They're going to use the ACC as a security blanket and convince themselves it's going to be the late 1980s again while they continue to celebrate fluke Sweet 16 appearances.

Reaction Score
They consider themselves a top 5 coaching destination
Yeah, they're Top 10 best case, more like Top 20. But the reality is coaches stake out their turf--West Coast guys rarely come East Coast, etc.--and a coach who is successful at Syracuse wouldn't leave to go to Michigan, even though Michigan is almost certainly the better job in a vacuum. So it's hard to compare.

UCLA
Duke
Kansas
UNC
Kentucky
Indiana

Are all obviously better.

Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State
Arizona
Louisville
Villanova

All strike me as better jobs, but you probably couldn't poach a coach from Syracuse to. Indiana might be in that second tier.

If/when UConn is rolling again, they're in that second tier of jobs.

We've already proven we're better than a bunch of P5 schools merely by getting Hurley.

Reaction Score
The irony is unbelievable over on that Cuse board. They call us "the result of one man's work (Calhoun) and the old Big East". They need to talk a long, hard look in the mirror.

They have a program that's been .500 in conference play over the last four seasons and has lost at least 13 games in each one of those seasons. And they haven't had to replace their "legendary" coach yet. I got news for Cuse fans, their glory days are just as long gone as UConn's are. They're going to use the ACC as a security blanket and convince themselves it's going to be the late 1980s again while they continue to celebrate fluke Sweet 16 appearances.
Yeah, UConn is one of the few jobs that have championships with multiple coaches:

UCLA (11 total, 2 coaches)
Kentucky (8 total, 5 coaches)
UNC (6 total, 3 coaches)
Indiana (5 total, 2 coaches)
UConn (4 total, 2 coaches)
Kansas (3 total, 3 coaches)
Louisville (actually...this doesn't count anymore, does it... :D )
Michigan State (2 total, 2 coaches)
NC State (2 total, 2 coaches)
Villanova (2 total, 2 coaches)

And it's not like they're Duke, or Cincy, or Florida, or San Francisco, which has more than 1 title in the first place.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they're Top 10 best case, more like Top 20. But the reality is coaches stake out their turf--West Coast guys rarely come East Coast, etc.--and a coach who is successful at Syracuse wouldn't leave to go to Michigan, even though Michigan is almost certainly the better job in a vacuum. So it's hard to compare.

UCLA
Duke
Kansas
UNC
Kentucky
Indiana

Are all obviously better.

Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State
Arizona
Louisville
Villanova

All strike me as better jobs, but you probably couldn't poach a coach from Syracuse to. Indiana might be in that second tier.

If/when UConn is rolling again, they're in that second tier of jobs.

We've already proven we're better than a bunch of P5 schools merely by getting Hurley.
Could also make a case for:

Virginia
Florida
Wisconsin
Gonzaga
Maryland

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Motion to rename thread to "Some Dude: UConn Close to Signing Hurley"

Jeff was right after all and he would like to be "dude" rather than "guy."

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In for the number of replies and likes!

I don’t advocate doing that, but it works for me.

Reaction Score
Not uncommon for there to be stipulations when releasing a kid from a NLI
Not when the coach you committed to leaves before you arrive. I'd be shocked if URI didn't grant a full release just as UConn did for Akinjo. And if they didn't, the kid could still appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom