So who starts at QB next week? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Reaction Score
I hope Edsall learns toward Shirrefs, but doesn't tell the media so the opposition doesn't know, need whatever advantage we can get vs USF.

Reaction Score
We almost got beat by a 5th yr senior QB from HC tonight but thanks to another 5th yr senior from UCONN who came to our rescue that didn't happen. I think BS should get the nod against USF. The team just moved so much better and consistently with BS. We don't need anymore exhibition games. I'm sure Pindell will have other opportunities but against USF, I vote for Bryant. Pindell had that one great closeline rope tonight which proved to me he can wing it, however a lot of his throws looked like he was shot putting the ball. I say go with the hot hand against USF, Bryant Shirreffs.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Shireffs. There's no doubt. And he has real coaches now.

The kid is tough as nails, and the bright lights don't bother him. If we can get the darned OLine together, Bryant is going to win a lot of games for us...

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that anyone even has a question about this it is 100% Bryant Sheriff's I sit in the front row 35-yard line right behind the offense. My next post will be an upload of the pictures of what happened to David Pindell after he was pulled from the game he absolutely gave up on his team.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is this even a question?

By no means did Pindell look terrible, but we lose to Holy Cross tonight without Shirreffs coming into the game and giving us a spark.

Shirreffs or Pindell, I think after that game it's pretty evident that it's going to be a long season and both will see the field quite a bit each.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that anyone even has a question about this it is 100% Bryant Sheriff's I sit in the front row 35-yard line right behind the offense. My next post will be an upload of the pictures of what happened to David Pindell after he was pulled from the game he absolutely gave up on his team.
I did notice after BS lead the team down field to the his first touchdown, and the offense huddled at the sideline, DP was sitting off by himself. Kinda sad. I don't know if that's quitting on the team, but let's see your pics.

Reaction Score
In all fairness to Pindell we just had a 71-yard TD drive then proceeded to gain 15 yards on 2 plays the next drive and that 2nd play was his fumble. He clearly had 1st game jitters, I wouldn't be so quick to push him out of the picture just yet. Give it a couple more chances and then if not BS it is.

Reaction Score
This was evident on TV too. They kept cutting to Pindell and he was alone / standing and not showing emotion even though the team was scoring and playing well. The look on his face told it all. BS was the opposite when replaced by Williams or getting killed out there. He was always in it for the team.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be upset by any means if BS gets the start next week, but the offensive line was MUCH better with him in the game than Pindell. I can't hold that against Pindell.

Yes you can. Experience and leadership count for a lot at the QB position. Pindell looked like the second coming of Donovan Williams' burned redshirt, and against a I-AA team. If he looks this bad against a lower division program, I shudder to think what's going to happen when you throw him out there against a real football team like USF.

Reaction Score
This was evident on TV too. They kept cutting to Pindell and he was alone / standing and not showing emotion even though the team was scoring and playing well. The look on his face told it all. BS was the opposite when replaced by Williams or getting killed out there. He was always in it for the team.
The kid is human... I think anyone in that spot would feel a little dejected and hard on himself. Lot of pressure on these guys.
Basing everything on one camera shot is unfair.

Reaction Score
HC tacklers were in the Pindell's face right after the snap most of the time. Pindell was under pressure. He is young and has some jitters but he clearly has talent. The O line did not help Pindell and Newsome. But BS clearly saved the day and his leadership and experience showed. The team appeared to have lots of confidence in him. BS should be the starter based on accomplishment and success in game situation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
With this OL, both will play. Could not get over how bad they were.

This. It really doesn't matter who plays QB if the line non-blocks the way it did last night. Newsome was swamped every time he got the ball. Not sure if someone is tipping the run or what. While Hopkins was a nice surprise, I didn't see anything that explains why he had more success in getting some blocks.

The defense was also horrendous. Teams that can't defend or block lose a lot of games.

The return game looked pretty solid though. Swann was clearly on a mission to return everything. Now that we have had an actual return game, he can go back to making good decisions and not forcing it. But, he looks like he might be a good one back there.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This. It really doesn't matter who plays QB if the line non-blocks the way it did last night. Newsome was swamped every time he got the ball. Not sure if someone is tipping the run or what. While Hopkins was a nice surprise, I didn't see anything that explains why he had more success in getting some blocks.

The defense was also horrendous. Teams that can't defend or block lose a lot of games.

The return game looked pretty solid though. Swann was clearly on a mission to return everything. Now that we have had an actual return game, he can go back to making good decisions and not forcing it. But, he looks like he might be a good one back there.

Even with Swann's mistakes, I loved him returning kicks. He has a fearless approach that is just fun to watch. He hits holes fast and has the speed. He will only get better. Credit goes to RE for seeing the talent and trusting him back there.

Reaction Score
U do not build a program by quitting on your QB after 1 week. Everyone knows BS played better. So what. There's a whole thread acknowledging we r in a rebuild. We r not rebuilding with a RSSr QB.

Please stop.

Everyone has valid points. However, I think gioff23 closing remark is most valid. Bryant won't be here next year. Yes, he is a better leader and the team has more confidence in him because of what.........experience.

I like Bryant and offer him a lot of respect for what he has done. Never had a solid group of supporting players around him.

Dave needs experience. Did anyone realistically think Tom Brady was taking over the program?

What other inexperienced QB on the sidelines would have done as good or better. He'll get better as he experiences adversity going from Jr college talent to FBS/FCS opposition. He, or some other QB on the bench has to experience football challenges and growing pains at this level as the program tries to rebuild for the future. ,,,,,,,, before the arrival of Fall 2018.

Bryant can be, and continues to be a valuable asset. He can be a tremendous learning asset to Dave P as we move forward

Reaction Score
Even with Swann's mistakes, I loved him returning kicks. He has a fearless approach that is just fun to watch. He hits holes fast and has the speed. He will only get better. Credit goes to RE for seeing the talent and trusting him back there.

After fair catching with 7 yards of room, you knew he was returning the next punt regardless. I was surprised he wasn't benched after the punt sailed over his head but he did look like a jet.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Everyone has valid points. However, I think gioff23 closing remark is most valid. Bryant won't be here next year. Yes, he is a better leader and the team has more confidence in him because of what....experience.

I like Bryant and offer him a lot of respect for what he has done. Never had a solid group of supporting players around him.

Dave needs experience. Did anyone realistically think Tom Brady was taking over the program?

What other inexperienced QB on the sidelines would have done as good or better. He'll get better as he experiences adversity going from Jr college talent to FBS/FCS opposition. He, or some other QB on the bench has to experience football challenges and growing pains at this level as the program tries to rebuild for the future. ,,,,,,,, before the arrival of Fall 2018.

Bryant can be, and continues to be a valuable asset. He can be a tremendous learning asset to Dave P as we move forward

By that logic, why play Pindell this season if next year he's just going to be a senior too?

Reaction Score
Everyone has valid points. However, I think gioff23 closing remark is most valid. Bryant won't be here next year. Yes, he is a better leader and the team has more confidence in him because of what....experience.

We are rebuilding the entire team, not just quarterback. If BS is the better player, and right now it looks like he is, that helps everybody get better

Reaction Score
Reality: HC wore down in the second half and BS had more time to throw than Pindell. The BIGGEST play of the game was the roughing the kicker penalty. Uconn then took the ball down the field and didn't score (failed 4th down), but it kept HC D on the field, stopped their momentum, and changed the field after that crazy punt downed at the one. If that penalty doesn't occur, uconn likely loses.

Back to the QB...neither was good. BS was so late on so many passes, his timing was terrible. he got lucky twice that defenders fell. Pindell looked lost for most of the game, bad decisions, throwing into double coverage, etc. he was also playing his first game and HC pressured him a lot more.

I hope Pindell is better than that, but I think you kep with BS. He's gonna throw a pick 6 or get his wRs killed if he continues to be that late with his passes, but could also be a reflection of lack of first string time, first game, etc. And, cannot discount that entire got a lift and played better once he was put in.

Reaction Score

Newsome isn't a between the tackles rb, he needs to be used in the passing game more and put Hopkins in to get the majority of the carries. I'd love to see both in the game at the same time. It would be nice to see the te s get some action, but they are probably being used to pass protect to help the disaster in the oline

C

Chief00

We almost got beat by a 5th yr senior QB from HC tonight but thanks to another 5th yr senior from UCONN who came to our rescue that didn't happen. I think BS should get the nod against USF. The team just moved so much better and consistently with BS. We don't need anymore exhibition games. I'm sure Pindell will have other opportunities but against USF, I vote for Bryant. Pindell had that one great closeline rope tonight which proved to me he can wing it, however a lot of his throws looked like he was shot putting the ball. I say go with the hot hand against USF, Bryant Shirreffs.
Lindell's long ball did seem like a shot put type delivery - other than that he did ok. He clearly has a running gear BS doesn't have but BS got it done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom