So who starts at QB next week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Reaction Score
This is RE we're talking about, so he may go with Pindell, but it isn't the right choice based on what I just saw. Shirreffs not only provided a spark, he won the game for us. If he put up those numbers over 4 quarters it would have resulted in 12 TDs and 500 yards. We were awful, then he came in and suddenly we were good.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Easy Bryant Shirreffs! /close thread

Not so fast. Pindell is far more dynamic. You'll need that to pull off the semi miracle win over USF. Another opponent, and mayne I'd think different. If you look at stats only, he played really well tonight. I'd start Pindell with confidence that Shirreffs is cool with coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
U do not build a program by quitting on your QB after 1 week. Everyone knows BS played better. So what. There's a whole thread acknowledging we r in a rebuild. We r not rebuilding with a RSSr QB.

Please stop.

Reaction Score
What's going to happen is Rhett is going to go over the film with Pindell and show him where he did not call the right blocking scheme. Pindell will work on it during the week and if he gets to where he needs to be he will start the game.

I think the lights were just a little too bright for Pindell tonight and so long he does not show a bad attitude this week he will be the starter going forward

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
What's going to happen is Rhett is going to go over the film with Pindell and show him where he did not call the right blocking scheme. Pindell will work on it during the week and if he gets to where he needs to be he will start the game.

I think the lights were just a little too bright for Pindell tonight and so long he does not show a bad attitude this week he will be the starter going forward

He was still 19/28 for 145 and ran for 33. Fumble is bad, but he played well and is surely a more threatening qb than Shirreffs.

Reaction Score
I think the fans and the program need wins right now. Rebuilding is something that should happen while you try to win.

If the coaches still want to go with Pindell, that's fine with me. He's very talented. However, you might want to see what BS can do with competent coaching. Again, BS played great in the shotgun when playing catch up the last two years. He appears to be a good QB for this high speed offense.

Reaction Score
He was still 19/28 for 145 and ran for 33. Fumble is bad, but he played well and is surely a more threatening qb than Shirreffs.
Bad fumble, totally one-dimensional because of the running game. That's the 1st 3 quarters of offense in a nutshell. For whatever reason the line started run blocking when shirreffs came into the game and everything opened up.

Reaction Score
Not so fast. Pindell is far more dynamic. You'll need that to pull off the semi miracle win over USF. Another opponent, and mayne I'd think different. If you look at stats only, he played really well tonight. I'd start Pindell with confidence that Shirreffs is cool with coming off the bench.

No miracle is coming against USF and it has everything to do with our Defense. Pindell is still learning and has a long way to go and his fumble was gross. BS is healthy and experienced with an actual coach. I don't know if you read the indictment on Diaco wanting nothing to do with offense in the Courant but it is pretty ugly.

Reaction Score
Shireffs gets the nod IMO. It's clear they both have talent. Pindell has more but he's gotta get his head right. Can't get down on himself or the team. He's gotta lead us. Right now, doesn't look to be ready to do that. Shireffs, on the other hand, clearly does. Imagine if he started. You can easily make an argument that we coulda had 2 or 3 more scores in the first half.

Reaction Score
Pindell. Other than that terrible fumble he was solid. Bench him this early and you might lose him mentally. Chalk this up to opening night jitters and give him another shot.

Plus Sherriffs off the bench is a nice security blanket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is RE we're talking about, so he may go with Pindell, but it isn't the right choice based on what I just saw. Shirreffs not only provided a spark, he won the game for us. If he put up those numbers over 4 quarters it would have resulted in 12 TDs and 500 yards. We were awful, then he came in and suddenly we were good.

But we know he can't do that for 4 quarters.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's conference game #1. If they don't play the QB that gives them the best chance to win on Saturday they deserve to go 1-11.

Do you really need that question answered?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I think the fans and the program need wins right now. Rebuilding is something that should happen while you try to win.

If the coaches still want to go with Pindell, that's fine with me. He's very talented. However, you might want to see what BS can do with competent coaching. Again, BS played great in the shotgun when playing catch up the last two years. He appears to be a good QB for this high speed offense.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I think Bryant has to start next week. I think Pindell has talent but shireffs appears to have that IT factor. They played much better with him in the game. I know it was Holy Cross but his play has got to count for something. Start him and if he isn't doing well put Pindell back in. Idk tho

Reaction Score
As opposed to who performed better in the same game? Apples to apples?

It remains an open competition, I'm sure well see a lot of Pindell and Shirrefs against USF if you know what I mean.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There isn't a single thing that Pindell showed he can do better than BS. His deep balls were downright awful, he didn't throw to wide open receivers, fumbled...we did nothing with him on the field. Even if he's better than he was today, who cares. Start Bryant.

Reaction Score
But we know he can't do that for 4 quarters.
No we don't. We have never seen him play four quarters with a real OC, a real coach and an offense that is actually trying to move the ball and score points.

Shirrefs has been the whipping boy on and off the field for two years. He took way more blame than he deserved. He was benched for a guy who is now a second string WR. He played hurt. He lost his job to a Juco and never once complained

Then he comes in, moves the ball. Leads a double digit comeback from late in the third quarter and then a game sealing drive to kill the clock.

He deserves to start. Even ignoring what he's been through here before edsall. He lead 3 scoring drives to take the lead and iced the game at the end.

And he deserves more respect from this fan base.

I think Pindell has a higher ceiling. But if the offense is better with Shirrefs, and it clearly was tonight, then he should start. Period.

Reaction Score
There isn't a single thing that Pindell showed he can do better than BS. His deep balls were downright awful, he didn't throw to wide open receivers, fumbled...we did nothing with him on the field. Even if he's better than he was today, who cares. Start Bryant.

Yea.

The game was a disaster, they made the change, and then we were winning and moving the ball with ease. Was that 100% BS? No. But so far it's pretty obvious he gives us a better chance to win.

Pindell can certainly win it back at some point, but right now he's not the guy. Honestly if you argue he should start its pretty much the same as arguing for the backup, he's more of an unknown so lets play him maybe he might be good.

Reaction Score
All the talk on this board about playing the guys who will help us win now, and people think BS shouldn't start? Can't have it both ways. We were better with Bryant. By a wide margin. I thought and hoped Pindell would erase any QB controversy. But 7 points in 3 quarters against holy cross isn't good enough. Bryant missed a couple throws. Yes. We also scored 3 TDs in a little over a quarter with him. He should start. He's earned it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom