So who starts at QB next week? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Reaction Score
If you've got a problem with BS on the deep ball... I don't think Pindell is going to prove to solve that for you.
What do you have against throwing into double coverage?

Reaction Score
BS has given a lot to this program and I wish he and the team nothing but success on and off the field. He has earned the right to play.

Time will tell if it was the right move, I am simply left with a few questions:

1. what do we do if BS reverts to old form and we struggle - do we send in DP? And what if he struggles again?
2. what happened to the preseason evaluation that led staff to tap DP in the first place - was it wrong? Did Pindell earn the job or was it given to him a few weeks ago? If he earned it, that was one short string he was given.

I get the play to win mantra HCRE is spouting, but I would have assumed if the QB race was tight then they shouldn't have pulled the trigger on DP so quickly, naming him starter in mid-August.

In the end, get a W boys, no matter who's number is called.

Reaction Score
BS has given a lot to this program and I wish he and the team nothing but success on and off the field. He has earned the right to play.

Time will tell if it was the right move, I am simply left with a few questions:

1. what do we do if BS reverts to old form and we struggle - do we send in DP? And what if he struggles again?
2. what happened to the preseason evaluation that led staff to tap DP in the first place - was it wrong? Did Pindell earn the job or was it given to him a few weeks ago? If he earned it, that was one short string he was given.

I get the play to win mantra HCRE is spouting, but I would have assumed if the QB race was tight then they shouldn't have pulled the trigger on DP so quickly, naming him starter in mid-August.

In the end, get a W boys, no matter who's number is called.

Games aren't totally like practice, in any sport. You pick starters based on what happens in practice going into a season, but sometimes games bring out strengths or flaws that change your mind. In this case, maybe DP just couldn't make real game decisions as quickly and accurately as he was doing in practice.

But this isn't about theories of how you pick a QB. We're trying to win games. The answer to "what do we do now" is we let the coaches make decisions as games progress in their effort to win them. We know that Edsall doesn't like going back and forth between healthy QBs, however, so my guess is BS has now convinced him he gives us the better chance to win and something will have to change that conclusion in HCRE's mind to see another switch.

C

Chief00

Games aren't totally like practice, in any sport. You pick starters based on what happens in practice going into a season, but sometimes games bring out strengths or flaws that change your mind. In this case, maybe DP just couldn't make real game decisions as quickly and accurately as he was doing in practice.

But this isn't about theories of how you pick a QB. We're trying to win games. The answer to "what do we do now" is we let the coaches make decisions as games progress in their effort to win them. We know that Edsall doesn't like going back and forth between healthy QBs, however, so my guess is BS has now convinced him he gives us the better chance to win and something will have to change that conclusion in HCRE's mind to see another switch.

Agree, the real question is - What gives us the best chance to win?
While it's great to have the strength of your convictions - it's a forward looking World and flexibility to change based on results is usually a good trait.

Reaction Score
As I said before I do think Pindell was brought in to run this offense and more or less handed the job despite the talk of competition. But as bl said, games are not practice and while his stats looked good his decision making and ability to move the team did not. As palatine says it is about production. Sherriffs produced. Pindell didn't.

Reaction Score
As I said before I do think Pindell was brought in to run this offense and more or less handed the job despite the talk of competition. But as bl said, games are not practice and while his stats looked good his decision making and ability to move the team did not. As palatine says it is about production. Sherriffs produced. Pindell didn't.

You don't really get from businesslawyer's post to yours without making a bunch of stuff up. There is zero evidence to support your contention that he was handed the job without any competition. In fact, at the open practice, he looked noticeably better than Shirreffs running the office, and the reports from practices open to the media backed that up as well. Practices are not games, and he's not the first player to freeze a bit when the lights first go on. That in no way indicates that he didn't perform better in camp.

Reaction Score
DP did have a better camp than BS. There was even talk that DP was much more focused and adept at reading coverages and adapting to them at the line of scrimmage. He was elusive with a quick release. What went wrong? It was the bright lights of Broadway that sometimes leads to flop sweat for a would be star on the stage. Tentative game composure and lack of positive vocal command in the huddle made BS appear by comparison to lead like Brett Favre. Lets hope he has the swagger working on Saturday. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score

But this isn't about theories of how you pick a QB. We're trying to win games. The answer to "what do we do now" is we let the coaches make decisions as games progress in their effort to win them. We know that Edsall doesn't like going back and forth between healthy QBs, however, so my guess is BS has now convinced him he gives us the better chance to win and something will have to change that conclusion in HCRE's mind to see another switch.[/QUOTE]

th

And Edsall does have a history of flipping QBs

Reaction Score
The open practice, eh. It's one event. And reports from the staff are what they are. They should always be taken with a huge grain of salt. They didn't recruit Pindell to be the backup. I suspect that it was always his job to lose and he didn't do anything in camp to lose it. But how many times have we heard about this player or that one dominating practice only to see or not see that when the real games start. Tim Boyle was the future of the program. In basketball Majok was going to revolutionize the forward position. This wasn't comparable to those but it was along the same lines. Coaches, even great ones have plans and "see" what they expect to see. Just like everybody else.

Reaction Score
The open practice, eh. It's one event. And reports from the staff are what they are. They should always be taken with a huge grain of salt. They didn't recruit Pindell to be the backup. I suspect that it was always his job to lose and he didn't do anything in camp to lose it. But how many times have we heard about this player or that one dominating practice only to see or not see that when the real games start. Tim Boyle was the future of the program. In basketball Majok was going to revolutionize the forward position. This wasn't comparable to those but it was along the same lines. Coaches, even great ones have plans and "see" what they expect to see. Just like everybody else.

Yes, they recruited Pindell to play. They confirmed that he could play in the only environment available -- Practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom