So who starts at QB next week? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That is the question.

I have no problem if we see these two alternate halfs of football the next couple games. Lets see who gets it done on the field. Pindell has the higher upside, but reading between the tea leaves, the staff might be looking for him to have more command of the offense - more hop in his step. The game seemed a little fast for him last week. Give him some time and I expect a big bounce back and several big opportunities.

Reaction Score
It's a move he had to make. That being said, the gap in play wasn't nearly as big as it looked IMO and a lot of it was exacerbated by the pressure the line gave up with Pindell in. Regardless, certainly not the last we've seen of Pindell playing meaningful football this year.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this the more I have become convinced that they recruited Pindell to run this system and basically handed him the job despite the talk of open competition. It never rant totally true if you actually read the coahes's comments about how he needed to be a more vocal leader, needed to make quicker decisions. All hints that he was handed the starting slot but had some weaknesses. Even Edsall s comments about finding out who plays when the lights are on, in hindsight could be seen as raising some questions about his quarterback. They loved his athleticism but had some concerns about his command of the offense. As it played out those worries turned out to be correct and fortunately Sherriffs was up to the task. Even the 2 drives Pindell put together, one for a score and one stopped on 4th and 1 were not crisp. They were long slogs more reminiscent RE 1.0 than were the crisp efficient drives under #4. Pindell s last drive before halftime was equally bad with a chance to get on the board late starting from his own 40. Under #4 the drives looked like this offense is supposed to look. 5 plays 53 yards plays 1:18, 6 plays 59 yards 2:27, 6 plays 47 yards 2:00. Boom boom boom.

Personally I hope Sherriffs is the answer and the next time we see Pindell is in the closing minutes of a rout of South Florida. Nothing against the kid but The last thing this team needs is a quarterback controversy.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I agree that starting Shirreffs was the move that Randy had to make for this weekend vs. USF. There were a multitude of variables affecting Pindell's play (offensive line, no run game), but bottom line is that Shirreffs outplayed him when given the opportunity. My only concern with starting Shirreffs is that we allow for a revolving door to open at QB this season. What if he throws 2 picks in the 1st half? Go back to Pindell? Idk what could be expected of him coming off the bench. I think if we were playing UVA this week, Pindell would still be starting as it wouldn't be a conference game and give Pindell more time to get acclamated to the speed of the Division 1 game. However, I think it's clear that Shirreffs gives us the best chance to beat USF on Saturday. Perhaps could this also be a tactic to try and light a fire under Pindell's ass to become more vocal as a leader? Time will tell. Beat USF!

Reaction Score
U do not build a program by quitting on your QB after 1 week. Everyone knows BS played better. So what. There's a whole thread acknowledging we r in a rebuild. We r not rebuilding with a RSSr QB.
Please stop.
No attack on anyone I quote here just a difference of opinion. :) Please note we are also trying to rebuild a fan base. Teams can go through numerous players at any position, the bottom line at this level is to win the game. Sometimes "next man up is best man up" the one removed from the game has to suck it up.

He was still 19/28 for 145 and ran for 33. Fumble is bad, but he played well and is surely a more threatening qb than Shirreffs.
Again no attack but what part of Shirreffs saved the day did you miss? The staff should have let him continue his threatening abilities ( your term ) and lose the game?

Yes you can. Experience and leadership count for a lot at the QB position. Pindell looked like the second coming of Donovan Williams' burned redshirt, and against a I-AA team. If he looks this bad against a lower division program, I shudder to think what's going to happen when you throw him out there against a real football team like USF.

We have A BINGO.....:D....I apologize to anyone in this thread that thinks BS should start and I missed liking it. Short on time and I will get back to it.
I disagree with those that think just because we are rebuilding it is acceptable to lose games. I am sure many others do not pay for season tickets to watch practice. I personally had enough of that with WACKY BOB.

I realize game time situations are valuable to experience but that should come when the game is in hand and you bring in the 2s.
Pindell in his own words supported the the move. Unless he was lying "I didn't take the switch as a bad thing". He also stated it is now his job to make himself better in practice to make Bryant better. The kicker for myself is when he said "I think I got a feel of D1 game speed". Not sure of how this reflects on the team he has been practicing with or the fact the team he was playing was 1-AA.

From the side lines or in the game he will see D1 game speed this week, I hope he soaks it up and if needed performs well.

Reaction Score
I disagree with those that think just because we are rebuilding it is acceptable to lose games.
I don't think anyone is saying that at all... I don't want to speak for others, but I think a lot of the people (myself included) cutting DP slack are doing it based on him earning the job in fall camp, as opposed to falling in love with a guy who played very well for a quarter+ of a game. Obviously Shirreffs was awesome when he came into the game, but we've also seen enough to know that he has his own limitations and in the grand scheme of things, the talent differential between the two isn't as drastic as you're making it sound.

With all that being said, I think this is the choice the staff had to make. It's hard to ignore the spark Bryant gave us on Thursday night and I think it would do more harm than good for both the team and the fan base to not reward that performance. Where we differ in opinion is that I think we're more likely to see 2016 Shirreffs return than Holy Cross Shirreffs continue. I'd love to be proven wrong.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Go back and watch the game and tell me how many of Newsome's negative runs were plays on which he should have gotten the ball. DP was not making the necessary reads, Shirreffs was. RE was spot on in his presser about not throwing games - "we only get 12."

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying that at all... I don't want to speak for others, but I think a lot of the people (myself included) cutting DP slack are doing it based on him earning the job in fall camp, as opposed to falling in love with a guy who played very well for a quarter+ of a game. Obviously Shirreffs was awesome when he came into the game, but we've also seen enough to know that he has his own limitations and in the grand scheme of things, the talent differential between the two isn't as drastic as you're making it sound.

With all that being said, I think this is the choice the staff had to make. It's hard to ignore the spark Bryant gave us on Thursday night and I think it would do more harm than good for both the team and the fan base to not reward that performance. Where we differ in opinion is that I think we're more likely to see 2016 Shirreffs return than Holy Cross Shirreffs continue. I'd love to be proven wrong.
blue 93, Respectfully, Not discounting BS's limitations, of which leadership & guts are not 2 of them, I ask, 2016's Navy Game Bryant Sherriff or post rib injury lack of OC imagination, HC disaster who lost his team Bryant Sheriff's? I only mention this because you specifically mentioned 2016.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Can we please acknowledge that: 1) Shirreffs has been coached for the past two seasons by America's worst CFB coaching staff, 2) He played behind one of the worst OLs in CFB, and 3) In more than half his 2016 starts he was playing with broken ribs.

Two of those three things are now mercifully gone. I'll admit he's no world beater athletically or talent-wise, but he has as least as much if not more heart, guts and leadership ability as anybody who has ever worn a UConn uniform.

Forget about the last two seasons. Right now he's the best chance we have to win games. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but he has more than earned the opportunity. There are pieces of him strewn across every stadium in the AAC.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Biggest difference Pindell looked shellshocked from the hits. Shirreffs didn't even blink.

To be fair, Shirreffs has two years of taking beatings like Pindell did on Saturday.

Reaction Score
blue 93, Respectfully, Not discounting BS's limitations, of which leadership & guts are not 2 of them, I ask, 2016's Navy Game Bryant Sherriff or post rib injury lack of OC imagination, HC disaster who lost his team Bryant Sheriff's? I only mention this because you specifically mentioned 2016.
Can we please acknowledge that 1) Shirreffs has been coached for the past two seasons by America's worst CFB coaching staff, 2) He played behind one of the worst OLs in CFB, and 3) In more than half his 2016 starts he was playing with broken ribs.

Two of those three things are now mercifully gone. I'll admit he's no world beater athletically or talent-wise, but he has as least as much if not more heart, guts and leadership ability as anybody who has ever worn a UConn uniform.

Forget about the last two seasons. Right now he's the best chance we have to win games. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but he has more than earned the opportunity. There are pieces of him strewn across every stadium in the AAC.
The leadership, the heart, the guts - I get all that. Believe me I'm not trying to slight him because he seems like a great dude and the kind of guy you're proud to see in a Husky uniform. You both bring up a valid point with the change in offensive scheme and I'm sure that'll be a positive for him compared to the last 2 years.

What I'm basing my skepticism on are things that showed up in the HC game that we've seen from him throughout his career.

First, we know he doesn't handle pressure well in the pocket. To his credit, he didn't take off with the ball too early as he has done countless times in years past, but imo he didn't see the pass rush that Pindell did. He may be better in setting protections, he may have benefited from a worn down defense. I think time will tell on this front, but what we do know is that the Offensive line is still a liability and I'll need to see him do it against a fresh pass rush to buy in.

Second, he still has a lot of trouble throwing the deep ball. Last season could have been a result of the rib injury, but as far as I know he's healthy now and still couldn't make it happen.

My third and final point on the topic, is his tendency to stare down receivers. He got away with it against Holy Cross, but against a legitimate defense he probably won't be so lucky.

I really don't want to come across as a jerk because like I said above, I like the kid and respect his leadership traits as well as his decision to come back to the program. If he can prove he's the guy this weekend I'll buy in 100%, but I do think there are reasons to temper expectations.

Reaction Score
It would seem to be the right move. You are rewarding the player who produced. If he keeps producing he stays. If he turns back into the Sherriff of last year, then you make a move again. There is no motivator like knowing you have to produce. And if he keeps leading TD drives he deserves the ball.

Reaction Score
The leadership, the heart, the guts - I get all that. Believe me I'm not trying to slight him because he seems like a great dude and the kind of guy you're proud to see in a Husky uniform. You both bring up a valid point with the change in offensive scheme and I'm sure that'll be a positive for him compared to the last 2 years.

What I'm basing my skepticism on are things that showed up in the HC game that we've seen from him throughout his career.

First, we know he doesn't handle pressure well in the pocket. To his credit, he didn't take off with the ball too early as he has done countless times in years past, but imo he didn't see the pass rush that Pindell did. He may be better in setting protections, he may have benefited from a worn down defense. I think time will tell on this front, but what we do know is that the Offensive line is still a liability and I'll need to see him do it against a fresh pass rush to buy in.

Second, he still has a lot of trouble throwing the deep ball. Last season could have been a result of the rib injury, but as far as I know he's healthy now and still couldn't make it happen.

My third and final point on the topic, is his tendency to stare down receivers. He got away with it against Holy Cross, but against a legitimate defense he probably won't be so lucky.

I really don't want to come across as a jerk because like I said above, I like the kid and respect his leadership traits as well as his decision to come back to the program. If he can prove he's the guy this weekend I'll buy in 100%, but I do think there are reasons to temper expectations.
Fair Enough.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I agree that he has limitations, but at present we don't have Dan Orlovsky warming up behind the bench to come in and pitch relief. If Bryant can't make it happen we will get to see Pindell again. Eventually he will catch up to the speed required to play at this level.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shireffs is not accurate on the deep ball. Other than that he has all the tools necessary to run this offense. He is weathered. He has been able to stay in and take a hit but anyone under THAT offense would run for their lives.

Pindell will be good once he has the mental aspect down. There have been many qb's who can make all the throws (see Johnny McEntee). The key is whom and how do you throw the ball when there is a defender bearing down on you. It is way too early to judge Pindell- he has lots to learn.

Finally, I don't blame the staff naming him as starter early. The one thing they couldn't replicate was decision making under game time pressure. Let's go out and beat USF!!

Reaction Score

I don't think that the decision to start him Saturday rules out the possibility that Pindell eventually starts again, even if Bryant performs adequately. I think at some point he'll be handed the keys again. I actually think it's not best for his development to throw him back out there right away.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
While the staring down was present one some plays, it was not anywhere near as constant as it's been made out to be here. Hergy ending up with more targets once the team got into the red zone is not equivalent to other open receivers being ignored at his expense.

Reaction Score
While the staring down was present one some plays, it was not anywhere near as constant as it's been made out to be here. Hergy ending up with more targets once the team got into the red zone is not equivalent to other open receivers being ignored at his expense.
His first two throws weren't to Hergy.

Pindell also targeted Hergy more than any other receiver; he had a clear size advantage over that CB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom