Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged)

Reaction Score
The kid's explanation is suspect, at best. There's no signed contract. And there's apparently no other proof of this supposed offer from the assistant coach - only the kid's word (and the word of his representative).

On top of that, he went on to play 3 games for them before deciding to walk away. And not just any 3 games -- 3 games in which he and the team were incredibly successful.

It's more likely to me that he played the 3 games (the maximum he could play before giving up the chance to redshirt) and turned some heads - and then got thinking that either UNLV should pay up or that he'd find more money elsewhere.

If you don't have a signed agreement, then you don't have a guaranteed NIL package. And if there wasn't a signed agreement, you'd think he'd at least have e-mails or texts that indicated such a promise was being made. There doesn't appear to be any of that.

I'm not buying it.
I find it highly unlikely that in the world of NIL, UNLV only promised their starting QB a total package of a $3K relocation stipend. There is enough reporting about a lot of this NIL not coming through that I tend to believe the kid.

Reaction Score
If you start a job and they tell you your salary and then you get your first paycheck and it's lower than what they said it would be, quitting that job wouldn't be "quitting on your teammates"

There's not enough proof on either side to apply any morality.
When you start a job you sign a contract. This protects the employee and the employer.

Reaction Score
When you start a job you sign a contract. This protects the employee and the employer.
I've had many jobs as an employee and never a contract.

I think people are giving these kids way too much credit and responsibility. We read about this sheet every day and we still don't understand all the pieces. You have kids going to school and playing football and suddenly have their first and only experience with NIL and the transfer portal. I put Zero blame on the kid. There should be many adults in the room when a kid transfers explaining all the details of how it works. He supposedly went from thinking he was going to be paid $100k to actually getting paid $3k - $12k. He has one year of college eligibility left. Blame on both sides but if someone did in fact promise $100k, then the University is mostly at fault here.

Reaction Score
Not for most jobs, no. You are an employee-at-will, and companies can do almost anything they want so long as it's not illegal.
Yeah you can start a job that pays $250,000/yr and then next pay period they can go "sorry, your new rate is $80,000" and it's not illegal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think people are giving these kids way too much credit and responsibility. We read about this sheet every day and we still don't understand all the pieces. You have kids going to school and playing football and suddenly have their first and only experience with NIL and the transfer portal. I put Zero blame on the kid. There should be many adults in the room when a kid transfers explaining all the details of how it works. He supposedly went from thinking he was going to be paid $100k to actually getting paid $3k - $12k. He has one year of college eligibility left. Blame on both sides but if someone did in fact promise $100k, then the University is mostly at fault here.

The student-athletes were literally the ones who sued to put themselves into this position.

Nothing prevented Sluka from having any representation.

Welcome to the real world for these college kids.

Reaction Score

He had NIL representation. If his representative really proceeded without a signed contract, then they shouldn't be in this business.

Reaction Score
The student-athletes were literally the ones who sued to put themselves into this position.

Nothing prevented Sluka from having any representation.

Welcome to the real world for these college kids.
Of course players, coaches, boosters, agents etc. are going to screw each other over. This is what we've signed up for.

I have zero sympathy for any of them.

Reaction Score
Then don't whine about any money you were "promised."
You wouldn't be mad if you started a job and signed a pay agreement and then the next month they lowered your rate? Because that's not illegal and it happens

Reaction Score
The sport of football has become so watered down and become soft. Kids want everything handed to them without having to earn anything. Society has failed these kids. He better have a good story.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't be mad if you started a job and signed a pay agreement and then the next month they lowered your rate? Because that's not illegal and it happens
We don't know the real story yet, if that's true about UNLV making a promise and not following through then really messed up on their end. I guess you shouldn't take anyone at their word, can't trust anyone.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't agree to a job if someone who can't pay me "promised" me I'll get x amount.

Reaction Score
There's just so many better ways to go about this then quitting on the season. Why don't you make a stand, document the verbal agreement and get the general public on your side in today's day and age of social media.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't agree to a job if someone who can't pay me "promised" me I'll get x amount.
Come on. He's probably 22 and they allegedly told him he'd get $100k while other college QB's are probably getting $1 million. How is he supposed to know they couldn't or wouldn't pay him. He is playing for one year and I'm sure not getting paid was the furthest from his mind. You act like college kids have 20 years of working experience and know what to expect.

Reaction Score
Come on. He's probably 22 and they allegedly told him he'd get $100k while other college QB's are probably getting $1 million. How is he supposed to know they couldn't or wouldn't pay him. He is playing for one year and I'm sure not getting paid was the furthest from his mind. You act like college kids have 20 years of working experience and know what to expect.
Fight go viral with it and I guarantee he gets the money he was was promised, if that story is true btw. He didn't fight for his cause he quit.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what their NIL looks like, how it works or if anyone told him he would receive money he didn't receive.

What we do know is he quit on his teammates in the middle of a surprising undefeated season. It also sounds like he never signed any contract to get this money his agent thinks the player was owed.

and no contract means he is free to leave whenever he wants to. UNLV should have put a ring on it, the kid was producing. I bet Fagnano is getting much more than 3K, I bet all of our QB's are. The market rate for a D1 starting QB is probably well over 100K and he will now get paid next year by another school. The kid did what was right for his bank account, good for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what the student-athletes wanted, to be treated like professionals. Sorry, can't have it both ways.

If you want to get big boy money and are hiring representation don't act like a child. What is the point of having an agent if your agent doesn't do the most basic thing for your best interest?

As I said, he's free to do what he wants and people are free to criticize him for quitting on his teammates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom