Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged)

Reaction Score
Bingo, it sounds like this agent has no clue what he’s doing.

Exactly right.....assuming he even had an agent.

This kind of stuff is going to proliferate. This is the wild west right now and all kinds of promises are going to be made.......and young people are going to be negatively impacted.

I don't believe for one moment that any of the rules around NIL are enforced or enforeable. How could the NCAA possibly do that?

Reaction Score
Remember, these all have to be, at least on paper, NIL deals. Which means there would be a contract, because you can't use someone's NIL without having one. And if the contract is violated, presumably he has a legal remedy.
As far as I know, the school can't pay them yet, payments come from collectives, private individuals and companies at this point. I'd assume that the contract would have to be with the provider of the funds. The assistant coach legally can't promise any NIL, he has no authority to do so. Looks like nothing was in writing, but being verbally promised by a coach may lead to some liability on the school because he did transfer.

I was wondering why he transferred from Holy Cross to UNLV.

It's a mess. Microcosm of college sports these days.

Reaction Score
again, what are they collecting money for if not to pay the starting QB?
Don't sign with someone for an amount of money that was never there. It sounds like he expects that money from another school, he should get a signed contract next time.

He quit on his teammates.

Reaction Score
BTW they should be non-deductible. How can "points" for tickets be non-deductible and paying athletes is. That won't last.
I think the way Bleeding Blue for Good was set up is unique, so the donations should be tax deductible. Athletes are being paid for working with charities. Directly paying athletes for no service should not be deductible.

Reaction Score
and don't donate to a football collective that won't even pay the starting QB who is winning games.
The collective and alumni are probably saying "wtf, pay that man his money." agreed to or not, the program is 3-0, write the check. Too late for that but still, what a disaster.

Reaction Score
Cool.

He quit on his teammates. Talk about a person who has zero allegiance to his brothers.
Brothers? He's known them for like 2 months.

Sluka got sold a line and fell for it.

If he did really believe he could trust the OC and then finds out the dude was lying to him, I can understand having no desire to play for that guy anymore. Though that is pretty high moral ground to stand on. If everyone quit their job after their boss pissed them off, job turnover would rise by about 10,000%.

Reaction Score

Oh man......it's full amatuer hour now! Throw the kid under the bus, then back-up over him for good measure. Nobody has any idea what they are doing - the school, the athletic department, the coaches, the players and the "agents". And all the NCAA can does is pull its......

This is only the beginning.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why are you surprised?
I'm not surprised by anything in college sports. We'll have more players quitting on their teammates in the middle of the season, we'll have coaches getting rid of players for poor performance, we'll have money laundering, we'll have boosters/collectives not paying kids if they don't perform, we'll have more schools putting the costs on fans, we'll have kids sitting out if they think they're worth more than they're getting paid etc.

Reaction Score

When pressed for comment, Mr. Cromartie could only say...

whoops GIF

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised by anything in college sports. We'll have more players quitting on their teammates in the middle of the season, we'll have coaches getting rid of players for poor performance, we'll have money laundering, we'll have boosters/collectives not paying kids if they don't perform, we'll have more schools putting the costs on fans, we'll have kids sitting out if they think they're worth more than they're getting paid etc.
"We'll have coaches getting rid of players for poor performance", we've been doing that since football started in the scholarship era.
---
As for the other parts, yes, that's exactly what's going on. At least a contract protects people in court. Look, I blame both here but this whole "brothers forever" stuff is just nonsense if money was promised. He's supposed to keep playing for what was unfulfilled promise? Funny.

Reaction Score
"We'll have coaches getting rid of players for poor performance", we've been doing that since football started in the scholarship era.
---
As for the other parts, yes, that's exactly what's going on. At least a contract protects people in court. Look, I blame both here but this whole "brothers forever" stuff is just nonsense if money was promised. He's supposed to keep playing for what was unfulfilled promise? Funny.
I think it will be different now. Instead of honoring the yearly scholarship I think some coaches will find a way to get rid of kids during the season who aren't performing up to expectations.

It's not nonsense. It's his right to do so but quitting on his teammates like this reflects poorly on him. It was Edsall's right to quit on his guys the way he did as well but it reflects poorly on him.

Reaction Score
The kid's explanation is suspect, at best. There's no signed contract. And there's apparently no other proof of this supposed offer from the assistant coach - only the kid's word (and the word of his representative).

On top of that, he went on to play 3 games for them before deciding to walk away. And not just any 3 games -- 3 games in which he and the team were incredibly successful.

It's more likely to me that he played the 3 games (the maximum he could play before giving up the chance to redshirt) and turned some heads - and then got thinking that either UNLV should pay up or that he'd find more money elsewhere.

If you don't have a signed agreement, then you don't have a guaranteed NIL package. And if there wasn't a signed agreement, you'd think he'd at least have e-mails or texts that indicated such a promise was being made. There doesn't appear to be any of that.

I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
again, what are they collecting money for if not to pay the starting QB?
I have no idea what their NIL looks like, how it works or if anyone told him he would receive money he didn't receive.

What we do know is he quit on his teammates in the middle of a surprising undefeated season. It also sounds like he never signed any contract to get this money his agent thinks the player was owed.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what their NIL looks like, how it works or if anyone told him he would receive money he didn't receive.

What we do know is he quit on his teammates in the middle of a surprising undefeated season. It also sounds like he never signed any contract to get this money his agent thinks the player was owed.

If you start a job and they tell you your salary and then you get your first paycheck and it's lower than what they said it would be, quitting that job wouldn't be "quitting on your teammates"

There's not enough proof on either side to apply any morality.

Reaction Score
Didn't we have a couple of those mid year quitters last year? I would love to have been a fly on the wall when they were in the presence of their past teammates. Is it business as usual or did they get the freeze? My guess in this day and age that they remained slap buddies, and got a slap on the back!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom