Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My take was wrong if this is true. I simply couldn't imagine a kid trying to ransom his team midseason... What a disappointing and very public display of low character this would be. I understand wanting to get market value and I understand not burning a year at below-market when you have a redshirt available but, geez, once the season starts, they should at least be forced to fake an injury.

It's like you don't even know 2024 America.

Reaction Score
If the family hired an agent, isn't that akin to declaring for the NFL Draft & thus making the player ineligible for further college competition?
They can hire an agent now. Many players have representation for their NIL opportunities.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
It’s all still broken:

This is even more confusing. Who is “they?” Is a UNLV collective not paying out or are the agents in the middle taking the money from the collective and not paying Sluka? If somebody has receipts this would be a great time to show them.

Any NIL collective in Vegas seems like something that could go sideways at a moment’s notice and that’s what makes me lean toward believing the kid here.

Reaction Score
Sluka is a fringe NFL prospect. I can't blame him for playing by the current rules and trying to cash in while he can. Good for him!! This is now pro sports and this type of thing happens in pro sports all the time, just ask Hassan Reddick.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when you have professional sports without the infrastructure in place to manage professional sports franchises. There will be much more of this and there will ba a lot of attornies making a lot of money.

Very sad......

Reaction Score
Boy, did things get messy here and quickly. This is a pretty great example of the need to make sure all of these NIL agreements are put into writing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is what happens when you have professional sports without the infrastructure in place to manage professional sports franchises. There will be much more of this and there will ba a lot of attornies making a lot of money.

Very sad......

OTOH, no one forced him to take the UNLV offer. Nothing prevented the kid from doing due diligence.

In an unregulated market you can expect some people to make poor choices. Heck, in a regulated market you can expect some people to make poor choices.

Reaction Score
Good lord! I realize a $100K is a lot of money to a lot of people, but you have agents and attornies involved for that kind of money?
It's a lot of money regardless, but it's weird that you can have a regular job that pays many times that and you don't need a lawyer involved lol

Reaction Score

Similar to what we saw with our RBs last year, except UNLV is 3-0 with multiple Big 12 wins and a pathway laid out for a playoff berth. Terrible for them and ultimately the sport.

I don’t wana re-litigate the past, but our RBs transfered to two directional Tennessee schools…I don’t think they had a huge NIL package

Regarding Sluka, if what he’s claiming is true, he was promised $$$ and didn’t receive it, than I have no problem with him doing this.

Reaction Score
Regarding Sluka, if what he’s claiming is true, he was promised $$$ and didn’t receive it, than I have no problem with him doing this.

2024: The first time in recorded history a college coach (an assistant no less!) promised something to a recruit and didn’t deliver.

Reaction Score
This is even more confusing. Who is “they?” Is a UNLV collective not paying out or are the agents in the middle taking the money from the collective and not paying Sluka? If somebody has receipts this would be a great time to show them.

Any NIL collective in Vegas seems like something that could go sideways at a moment’s notice and that’s what makes me lean toward believing the kid here.
It can all go sideways at a moments notice anywhere in the country. Kids are going to quit on their teammates and coaches, coaches are going to quit on their players, people are going to steal money from the collectives. There's no real rules other than money and greed ruling.

Reaction Score
I will say this: why would someone be dumb enough to recruit a player who quit on teammates in the middle of a season because someone told him they could make more money by doing so? What's the old saying -- if a mistress marries the man she was having an affair with, she just creates a vacancy?
How long do you represent someone when the retainer runs out and and the money stops.

Reaction Score
I will say this: why would someone be dumb enough to recruit a player who quit on teammates in the middle of a season because someone told him they could make more money by doing so? What's the old saying -- if a mistress marries the man she was having an affair with, she just creates a vacancy?
Because there's 2 scenarios and both seem likely to end up with him still having a spot on someone's roster next season.

If his side is true, he's not getting paid the money he rightfully deserves based on his NIL agreement, and not being paid seems like a pretty good reason to quit your job.

If UNLV's side is true, then he doesn't need to worry about how quitting looks to his future team, because they're the ones who told him to do it.

Reaction Score
Ahhhh, was QB on the team that beat UConn 38-28 in 2021.
That's right, the game that sealed the deal for Edsall. He stated publicly the next day on Sunday that he would be retiring at the end of that season. Benedict then wrote a letter the next day on Monday saying 'no you are done now. Pack you s.h.i.t and leave". I loved that Benedict did that, but I also thought Edsall 2.0 never should have been hired in the first place.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom