Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Slightly OT: UNLV Starting QB quits after 3 games, plans to transfer for more NIL money (Merged)

Reaction Score
I don't think his "agent" would advise he do this if he did not already have another deal in hand.
If Sluka's side of the story is true and the UNLV wasn't fulfilling their side of the deal by withholding all the payments or paying less the promised amount, what would Sluka's recourse be or his leverage against UNLV be if he did not have another deal in hand? Would he be up s.h.i.t.s creek without a paddle? would he be able to take it to court? Or would he have to continue playing and hope UNLV eventually pays him something? I have no idea.

Reaction Score
My take was wrong if this is true. I simply couldn't imagine a kid trying to ransom his team midseason... What a disappointing and very public display of low character this would be. I understand wanting to get market value and I understand not burning a year at below-market when you have a redshirt available but, geez, once the season starts, they should at least be forced to fake an injury.

It’s usually better to wait and see if you want to comment on these things. This is Exhibit A.

You’ve commented twice already and it still probably isn’t based on what actually happened here.

Reaction Score
So does all this change end-of-year awards like Heisman from the best to the most committed players?

Reaction Score
I will say this: why would someone be dumb enough to recruit a player who quit on teammates in the middle of a season because someone told him they could make more money by doing so? What's the old saying -- if a mistress marries the man she was having an affair with, she just creates a vacancy?

Because folks want to win.

Arch Manning would have to kill multiple people before I’d say we weren’t interested.

Reaction Score
An interesting thought…

If it is NIL $, then he is not being paid to play football. He’s being paid for businesses to use his NIL. The school doesn't pay him, the NIL org pays him. What NIL work was he doing? How was his NIL being used?

we all know this is about paying kids for playing football, but legally, technically, it isn’t. It’s about compensating an athlete for the use of their name, image, and likeness.

How does that play into this mess?

Thats why we need to move into a full professional contract model.

Reaction Score
LOL. Get it in writing. This is clown-level behavior.

Not if it pays off next year, then it is just business. It's not like UNLV is competing for anything meaningful. Bosa stopped playing midseason his last year in college when he realized he would be a top pick, players often skip bowl games. The sport in general is a joke except for the very top teams.

Reaction Score
How long do you represent someone when the retainer runs out and and the money stops.
1. Much longer than you would think.

2. If he truly had a deal to be paid an amount he wasn't paid, why wasn't the word "suit" mentioned?

Reaction Score
If Sluka's side of the story is true and the UNLV wasn't fulfilling their side of the deal by withholding all the payments or paying less the promised amount, what would Sluka's recourse be or his leverage against UNLV be if he did not have another deal in hand? Would he be up s.h.i.t.s creek without a paddle? would he be able to take it to court? Or would he have to continue playing and hope UNLV eventually pays him something? I have no idea.
Remember, these all have to be, at least on paper, NIL deals. Which means there would be a contract, because you can't use someone's NIL without having one. And if the contract is violated, presumably he has a legal remedy.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
According to the collective CEO, no conversation was ever had with him about getting 100k. The only thing they agreed to was 3k in a relocation fee. He also stated that they were still working on a NIL package for him and it wasn’t done yet because his “agent” didn’t talk to the collective until late August at which time the CEO told him he legally couldn’t work with him because he wasn’t a registered players representative. He also stated he has the emails to support his statements.

Long story short, it sounds like someone who didn’t have the authority to promise him money did so, the players camp dragged their feet in substantiating the offer and when they realized it wasn’t a legitimate offer it was to late and he cut bait and ran. Ball was dropped by all parties involved and now he is gonna pay for it. Life will teach you hard lessons and he is learning one right now.

Reaction Score
1. Much longer than you would think.

2. If he truly had a deal to be paid an amount he wasn't paid, why wasn't the word "suit" mentioned?

Latest thing I read and no idea if it’s true or not is that the “agent” wasn’t even an agent and lacked credentials or something.

Nothing is clear.

Reaction Score
The entire system is comical. I thought the original purpose of NIL was to allow student-athletes the opportunity to make money off their own success. They could use their success to go out and get paid for advertising or business opportunities. It wasn't supposed to be geared towards each school having collectives agreeing to pay athletes X amount of money.

"Purpose"... you didn't really believe that, did you? This was always how it was going to end

Reaction Score
He's still quitting on his teammates in a surprisingly great start to the season.

UNLV just said they are not paying him, Sluka is better than Evers, how much is Evers getting? Seems to me UNLV dropped the ball here. Maybe pay your starting QB. What's the point on having a collective if you are not paying the most important position. What are they collecting money for?

Reaction Score
Sounds like Sluka was promised $100k NIL by an assistant coach, but never got any money. His NIL rep is not registered in Nevada and there was no written contract which is another issue. Remember, NIL is in it's infancy and some schools don't think donations are nontaxable and the IRS may take the tax deduction away. Sluka asked for his money and they gave him the runaround. So, in order to preserve his last year of eligibility, he walked. Can't blame the kid.

Reaction Score
I'm all for the kid doing what he wants - but this is a trivial amount of money in the long run for someone who probably isn't going to play in the NFL. Graduate and go get a job.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Sluka was promised $100k NIL by an assistant coach, but never got any money. His NIL rep is not registered in Nevada and there was no written contract which is another issue. Remember, NIL is in it's infancy and some schools don't think donations are nontaxable and the IRS may take the tax deduction away. Sluka asked for his money and they gave him the runaround. So, in order to preserve his last year of eligibility, he walked. Can't blame the kid.

BTW they should be non-deductible. How can "points" for tickets be non-deductible and paying athletes is. That won't last.

Reaction Score
UNLV just said they are not paying him, Sluka is better than Evers, how much is Evers getting? Seems to me UNLV dropped the ball here. Maybe pay your starting QB. What's the point on having a collective if you are not paying the most important position.
Sign a contract if you want to actually get paid.

He still quit on his teammates.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It’s usually better to wait and see if you want to comment on these things. This is Exhibit A.

You’ve commented twice already and it still probably isn’t based on what actually happened here.
I'm not running for office. I've got no problem being wrong and owning it. Some things compel a knee jerk comment. Thanks for the advice though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom