Sedona to Oregon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sedona to Oregon

Reaction Score
But she wasn't the pf last year and they got to the final four. Walker was. That's my point. How "problematic" can things be when you are a final four caliber team?
Anywhere else, that is not problematic. Here, things are kinda problematic if the season doesn’t end in an NC:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Prince going to Oregon sends what message to all the other bigs on the Oregon roster?????????????
It’s called positional competition. It says play your butt off and earn your spot. And that includes Prince. She hasn’t proved anything at the college level yet. As the biggest kid on the floor when she got hurt, she wasn’t exactly dominating the very average at best opposition there.

Reaction Score
With the anticipated "sophomore leap" we expect her to make, and the recent additions, I agree. I'd like to read more "positive" posts from UConn fans commenting on the potential of ONO, and the things she CAN do; instead of the things they think she can't do. Thank goodness for ONO. What would UConn's immediate future look like without her? As long as she stays healthy, we'll be fine.

IMO ONO can become the greatest defensive player in UCONN history. Her athleticism is off the charts. She has the potential to negate the inside play of all teams her athleticism is that terrific.

Her athleticism will allow the team to play small if they need to or want to. In addition she allows the UCONN defense to be more aggressive.

Each year offensively she'll improve - and with the outstanding guard play UCONN has - she will be an impact in big games even if she isn't going to score a lot. Incredible potential to become a good scorer with amazing defense -- that's future 1st team a/a caliber potential.

Reaction Score
“I’ll be pushing for that waiver," she said in a phone interview. "I’ve heard from a few people that there’s a good chance that I’ll get it. They know the full story and know what’s been going on... If I do get that waiver, watch out, national championship here we come."

From that article

“For me, my medical was what wrong at Texas. I was trying to find a place where I felt comfortable and can live for the next four years and be and where my career and health will be the best...

I didn’t just break my leg, like I destroyed it," she explained. "I broke it bad. It took almost 11 months to heal it after two surgeries and a ton of intensive care."

But the healing is over, she says. She says her bones are "100-percent" healed and that the pain has gone too.

Sure sounds to me like UT treats her injury well if she has recovered 100% from a very bad injury that destroyed her leg. It can't be that wrong at Texas, medical wise.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about Cardoso but I'm fairly familiar with the group coaching at Uconn. Should she come aboard this jet stream to the NC she will be coached in the finer points and more rugged points of being an exceptional post. I refer you to Tina Charles as a Freshman/Soph. CD and staff were doing their magic and look at her now. If Cardoso is the least bit energized to play post--that crew will make it happen. Stef was a project, Jessica Moore, was a project---need I say more??

You're right about how those players developed, especially Dolson, and when Calhoun went to watch Rod Sellers he had 0 points and 0 rebounds and turned out well for us. That could be Cardoso too but do we know for certain Geno and staff are pursuing her?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMO ONO can become the greatest defensive player in UCONN history. Her athleticism is off the charts. She has the potential to negate the inside play of all teams her athleticism is that terrific.

Her athleticism will allow the team to play small if they need to or want to. In addition she allows the UCONN defense to be more aggressive.

Each year offensively she'll improve - and with the outstanding guard play UCONN has - she will be an impact in big games even if she isn't going to score a lot. Incredible potential to become a good scorer with amazing defense -- that's future 1st team a/a caliber potential.

Personally, I follow Geno's thoughts on freshmen. He has said many times that it takes the average freshman 1 year to learn the the system and the offensive and defensive sets and position assignments and responsibilities. That's why for the most part, I give freshmen a pass their first year. Few of them can come in an make an immediate impact on the team's performance.

I remember what Dangerfield said 3 weeks into the start of official practice. She said: "NOTHING I did in high school or AAU prepared me for what I'm dealing with right now." Freshmen enter a new arena, with new teamates, that are all older than they are, not to mention being bigger, stronget and faster. Freshmen have to play catch up.

What ever we get form them is gravy. Once in a while one will come in and perform above expectations. Regardless, they're going to make freshmen mistakes they won't make in succeeding years because of their growth and experience. Juniors and seniors simply don't make "freshmen" mistakes. I expect ONO to play like the sophomore she will be.

ONO is a very intelligent young lady who (I believe) wants to be a physician. She has the desire, the platform and the coaching to be very good/great. I saw some things I liked last year from her. I expect to see more this year because the training wheels will be off.

Regardless who the 5th starter is, Geno is going to put a very formidable team on the floor this year. As Christyn Williams said: “People are going to feel UConn."

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From that article

“For me, my medical was what wrong at Texas. I was trying to find a place where I felt comfortable and can live for the next four years and be and where my career and health will be the best...

I didn’t just break my leg, like I destroyed it," she explained. "I broke it bad. It took almost 11 months to heal it after two surgeries and a ton of intensive care."

But the healing is over, she says. She says her bones are "100-percent" healed and that the pain has gone too.

Sure sounds to me like UT treats her injury well if she has recovered 100% from a very bad injury that destroyed her leg. It can't be that wrong at Texas, medical wise.

Whether or not she milks this to get a waiver we'll never know, but I dont think it's fair to make assumptions about it. There is a lot more that goes into her comfort with medical treatment than just the fact that her leg healed a year later. If she made similar statements after committing to UCONN, the majority here would be defending her instead of questioning it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But she wasn't the pf last year and they got to the final four. Walker was. That's my point. How "problematic" can things be when you are a final four caliber team?
:eek:Some UCONN WBB fans definition of "problematic" = Any season that does not result in a National Championship.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I agree that Liv has tremendous upside but people are forgetting some great former players. I would argue that Kiah Stokes was the best defensive post player at UConn. She blocked a million shots and her pro-ready frame was a lot stronger than ONO’s naturally slender build. Offensively, Liv will need to work hard to match Tina Charles.

Liv can be great at UConn and 1st team AA is there for her if she work for it but some of the posts I’ve seen about her capabilities are based more on wishes than reality right now.

Reaction Score

NC was the team's most effective rebounder and shot blocker who also scored the vast majority of her points inside..........................the big question is who's taking up that slack with her gone? Hopefully ONO, MW and EA for next season but you know teams will be attacking ONO to get her in quick foul trouble and then where's the team's interior defensive presence? That lack of size may remain an issue perhaps only until 2021...........

Reaction Score
Whether or not she milks this to get a waiver we'll never know, but I dont think it's fair to make assumptions about it. There is a lot more that goes into her comfort with medical treatment than just the fact that her leg healed a year later. If she made similar statements after committing to UCONN, the majority here would be defending her instead of questioning it.

If she had said this before her commitment, I would have said the same thing.

Reaction Score
:eek:Some UCONN WBB fans definition of "problematic" = Any season that does not result in a National Championship.

not every year but one NC every four years seems about right........................ ;)

Reaction Score

She had a great mentor in Pheesa, and if she runs the floor like Pheesa we'll be pretty good.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I was never keen on Prince coming here, though it has to do with our situation, not her personally/professionally. I would never express reservations about an active recruit or player, knowing that at least some of them read the Boneyard, but I have no problem expressing my reservations now.

First, as a general principle, I believe in chemistry over insurance for building long term success. Sure, if you do not recruit for insurance, then for any particular year an injury or unforeseen circumstance can wreck things. If ONO gets an injury this coming season, then not having another big like Prince might prevent us from even making the FF. However, that's just one season and it means little more than bad luck will occasionally bite us just as it does every program. But insuring against every possible stroke of bad luck, if done perpetually, perpetually will undermine chemistry. 4-5 insurance players on a roster every year will not escape that notice and the chemistry will not be as great, nor will the much needed repetitions for any particular nonstarter. I believe chemistry, not insuring against bad luck, contributes more to why Auriemma has built a dynasty.

That does not automatically mean that Prince would be bad for chemistry, but I think she would be through no fault of her own. If she is eligible immediately that creates a logjam with three seniors, one with more experience and success with college basketball, two with more experience with the UConn way. Considering Conlon could be made a starter on a championship team, none of those three's weaknesses are so glaring that they could not be groomed for success if given the repetitions a player like Conlon received. Having a freshman with a high ceiling but immediate question marks and inexperience would have been damaging to chemistry in the short term if she was immediately eligible, plus there is no guarantee she could add much if ONO remains healthy and gets 30+ minutes at center.

But what about the long term? That may have worked out, and the "bird in the hand" philosophy is a little different than the insurance philosophy, but in the best of all recruiting worlds I would take a genuine, talented rising freshman over Prince. What about the injury? What about leaving early? There are some other factors that concern me as well. I prefer someone like Cardosa being ONO's understudy rather than Prince. We could strike out again like we did with Boston, I suspect that was totally unexpected, but laws of average will work themselves out and Auriemma also proves to be an adaptable coach in recruiting. Hey! Bad things happen to good programs, but if you define success by any metric besides who won the last championship, we are still the most successful program in WCBB. Also, our current "downturn" is currently more successful than any of our other "downturns" in the past.

Reaction Score
How will 2021 solve the lack of height issue?
I have the same question, it looks like UConn will be going from 6’1 Walker, to 5’11 MacLean at the power forward spot.

Reaction Score
I have the same question, it looks like UConn will be going from 6’1 Walker, to 5’11 MacLean at the power forward spot.

I was referring to the '21 recruiting class which includes UConn lean 6'5" forward/post Amari Deberry, Lattimore, Hollingshead etc.............

Reaction Score
I agree that Liv has tremendous upside but people are forgetting some great former players. I would argue that Kiah Stokes was the best defensive post player at UConn. She blocked a million shots and her pro-ready frame was a lot stronger than ONO’s naturally slender build. Offensively, Liv will need to work hard to match Tina Charles.

Liv can be great at UConn and 1st team AA is there for her if she work for it but some of the posts I’ve seen about her capabilities are based more on wishes than reality right now.

Nan-- I agree. I don't know if you'll recall this but at one point during a season you and I were raving about Kiah Stokes defense. We both had said best post defender UCONN ever had. In her sr year there was a play a guard caught a breakaway pass and when she turned her head while taking a dribble or two-- she saw Stokes in a defensive crouch waiting for her. She immediately stopped going forward and pulled the ball out. Also I remember I believe her jr year Texas was giving UCONN fits in NCAA's and she came in the game and the game turned- UCONN stopped getting whipped inside. Instead UCONN just dominated.

As for ONO in terms of potential I agree she doesn't have Stokes strength but ONO will get stronger. I do believe she is quicker that Stokes thus I believe she has the potential to be even better with help defense. Plus I think her quickness might mean she could better switch on pick-and-rolls (or similar to). OFC she can't "stop" an "Asia Durr"-- I see the potential that she can switch defensively vs most teams (ofc they would need another "big" inside if she is forced to defend a 10-15 foot shot on a pick-and-roll or similar to.). I just think her quickness/agility from someone her size is elite and as a result potentially she can become freaky tremendous.

Reaction Score

Which is why I carefully used words of "final fours." I wanted to know how "problematic" things actually are . The "horror" of our crappy teams with undefeated regular season records losing on last second shots. :):)

Just having fun -- I know no one is saying we stunk. :) Yes coco-- I agree with you though. And if anyone thinks the UCONN WCBB program is having "problematic" issues -- I don't support their pov.

Reaction Score
NC was the team's most effective rebounder and shot blocker who also scored the vast majority of her points inside......the big question is who's taking up that slack with her gone? Hopefully ONO, MW and EA for next season but you know teams will be attacking ONO to get her in quick foul trouble and then where's the team's interior defensive presence? That lack of size may remain an issue perhaps only until 2021......

1--- Who is going to attack UCONN in the paint from the AAC and have a legit chance to beat UCONN? Maybe one team on one night?> Maybe? Generally every year college kids have one off night. Anyways good luck with the AAC attack of going after UCONN in the paint.

2--- How many teams in the out-of-conference schedule have a strong inside game? For the teams that have better perimeter scoring -- please go ahead "and change your game to try to attack UCONN in the paint."

3-- For the teams that can attack inside - and are elite caliber-- we have a team and coach known for not having his teams foul. Geno can’t do much about freshmen but as a Soph ONO will have more awareness. ONO's foul troubles also result from going over the back and reaching in as an example. Not every basket will be contested. Just as Geno mentioned in 16-17 season (the undefeated rig season which Miss State beat UCONN last 2nd) Collier has to let some baskets go-- so will ONO.

4-- They type of team that beats them in out of conference will be an elite team more than likely on national tv. Chances are not that many touch fouls will be called - on ONO possible ofc will be called - sure possible-- it may happen sometimes but they generally they let the teams play. And if teams are allowed to be physical it means less touch fouls.

5-- Basketball just like any other sport is a team game. Sometimes you don't replace one player. What were you thinking at the start of the 2016-2017 season, if you so literally believe about the replacement of Collier? Who was going to replace Stewie and MoJeff and Tuck overall? You saw what happened and what it took to beat the 16-17 team yet they didn't "replace" “Stewie,” did they? So why are you so scared now by calling things "problematic?" In addition, ever see the movie Moneyball? You asked who can take the place of Collier? 1--A better Dangerfield, 2-- A much better CWill. 3-- A better Walker. 4-- A better ONO. Just like the 2016-2017 replaced the prior great teams. As "problematic" as it has been UCONN has continued to get to final fours. ‘The team” will replace “Collier” just as they replaced the super great Stewie.

6-- I think it's sort of ironic that you seem to have les confidence in ONO than I do yet you and I had argued previously how great ONO can be for this upcoming year. Anyways - I have more confidence than you in regards to the combination of improvement of other players along with ONO's s improvement and awareness along with potential of all the other players-- all of them would have to "fail" for things to become "problematic" unless you are talking “championship or bust.” To take that pov - fi you want to look at things with the "cup being half-empty" - okay. But I don't.

7-- Imagine what Baylor would be thinking if they were so frightened of foul trouble. What would have happened to Baylor winning the national championship if instead of Cox being hurt that she got into foul trouble and was only able to play 26 or 27 instead of 29? They don't win, right? The point is – if you are looking at winning a title or bust even the best of the best have issues that are “problematic.” I don’t hold that view. This particular team I’ll be thriled with a final four and thrilled more with a title ofc. But thrilled nevertheless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom