Sedona to Oregon | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sedona to Oregon

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thanks. Admittedly I don't know anything about Cardoso. But at 6'6", you know someone will offer her. Perhaps she's waiting for a better offer than those she already has. :rolleyes:

Can UConn afford to wait until 2021 to land a 6'5"+ post player? Quite a few 6-3 post players in this class.
6'5" Amari DeBerry is listed as a forward. I find it interesting that Oregon has 5 players on its 2019-2020 roster 6'4" or above. Head coach Kelly Graves and his staff have found something that works to lure BIGS to their program.
Wait a minute, there’s “Bigs” and there is “height”. Of the 5 players you mentioned only 1 has proven to be a “Big” in Hebard. Giomi averaged 9 min, 2 points and 2 rebounds a game last year. older Sabally plays an outside game, averaged 6.2 rebounds. Younger Sabally didn’t play at all but seems to be a potential “Big”. The Freshman from Australia is just that a tall lanky freshman who will not see much time this year. So you have 1 proven Big, one wing, 1 part-time, I potential and 1 unknown or suspect freshman.
Pac10 does seem to bring in “project” bigs who seem to develop slowly over the 4 years. See OSU, Stanford, Cal, ASU, Washington....not sure I put them in Baylor’s category with Cox and Brown or even Shepard and Turner.

Is our infatuation with bigs due to 1 loss to MSU (fluke) and the 2 losses to ND in the Semi’s? I mean we did beat SC with Wilson every year including 2 without Stewie. We also beat ND those 2 years as well.

Look at Texas, Tenn, OSU, Stanford and Cal with all their size, what has it gotten them? NOTHING! You have 1 skilled big and 2/3 rebound supporting members and you will be fine.

My father the coach quoted a famous saying that cut 2 ways- “You can’t teach height” in that yes you want height but you also needed athletic and capable height, not bench warmers who couldn’t contribute because they can’t box out, shoot or block.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Geno or MM takes another swing at Prince, but Who knows. Let’s hope Prince finds whatever she’s looking for in Eugene.
I wasn't being serious.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here is a vexatious question. Do we KNOW, not speculate or calculate, that either Geno, Muffet, or both extended offers to Sedona? Is it possible that she made a choice among two offers only, or just accepted the only one available?

Do official visits by transfer candidates include a workout, so that the coaching staff can see what the prospect can do after a long medical layoff?

Good question.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Whatever the facts are at TX, I am absolutely certain that neither the university’s administration or athletic department will admit to any fault in their treatment of Prince’s injury. Their lawyers would never permit the University to put the school in the position of opening itself up to a potential lawsuit by admitting liability

@oldude , please allow me to respond -- and apologies to you and the entire Boneyard for the length of my post.

First, if Sedona Prince were to bring a claim against the University of Texas, Prince bears the burden of proof (with respect to any medical malpractice or other claim), not the university. The university has the burden of production to rebut the evidence presented by Prince, but Prince, as the plaintiff/claimant retains the ultimate burden of proof.

With that being said, why would the University admit fault, when there has been a vague statement about transferring for "medical reasons" without indicating anything was incorrect or improper or even to what Prince was referring in using that phrase?

Second, even if it wanted to, the University could not respond right now (absent litigation, in which case the response(s) would be part of the legal proceedings), as a result of various rules that apply to college students and medical records (specifically, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)).

By way of background:
--- FERPA is the federal law that protects the privacy of students’ “education records.” (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99).​
--- FERPA applies to educational agencies and institutions that receive funds under any program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The term “education records” is broadly defined to mean those records that are: (1) directly related to a student, and (2) maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. (34 CFR § 99.3).​
--- Medical and psychological treatment records of eligible students are excluded from the definition of “education records” if they are made, maintained, and used only in connection with treatment of the student and disclosed only to individuals providing the treatment. (34 CFR § 99.3).​
--- These records are commonly called “treatment records.” An eligible student’s treatment records may be disclosed for purposes other than the student’s treatment, provided the records are disclosed under one of the exceptions to written consent (34 CFR § 99.31(a)) or with the student’s written consent. (34 CFR § 99.30).​

What about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), you may ask?

--- The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires covered entities to protect individuals’ health records and other identifiable health information by requiring appropriate safeguards to protect privacy, and setting limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization.​
--- The rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections. (45 C.F.R. Part 160; 45 C.F.R. Part 164, Subpart A; 45 C.F.R. Part 164, Subpart E).​
What about the interplay between FERPA and HIPAA?
---FERPA applies to most public and private colleges and universities and, thus, to the records on students at the campus health clinics of such institutions.​
---These records will be either education records or treatment records under FERPA, both of which are excluded from coverage under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, even if the school is a HIPAA covered entity. (45 CFR § 160.103 -- definition of "protected health information" and exceptions listed in ¶¶ (2)(i)-(ii)).​
---The HIPAA Privacy Rule specifically excludes from its coverage those records that are protected by FERPA.​

This is getting long and boring, @CamrnCrz1974 -- can you bring this in for a landing?

--- Sedona Prince's medical/treatment records are covered by FERPA. The University of Texas may not release any statement or document referencing any medical treatment at/by the University to anyone (other than for the purpose of treatment of Prince) absent Prince's consent.

--- If Sedona Prince were to file a claim, the records would be released as part of litigation (though there would be a release and a subpoena, usually).

--- There is no litigation here. No claim has been filed/submitted. There has been no suggestion that a claim/lawsuit is potentially going to be filed. The only thing that was stated was that a transfer was for "medical reasons" (which leads me to respond to the next quoted paragraph).

When Prince entered the transfer portal, she alluded to some agreement with TX that she would be transferring for “medical reasons.” If such an agreement exists, I can only guess that it simply states that TX will not oppose Prince’s waiver request, perhaps with the school specifically indicating “no responsibility for either her injury or any problems encountered during her recovery.

In her statement, she did not allude or reference any agreement with Texas. See below:

A transfer for "medical reasons" could be a number of things. Perhaps the University of Oregon has a medical staff/physicians that Prince prefers. Perhaps she did not like a physician, trainer, or physical therapist at Texas. Perhaps she made the statement to bolster any claim for an exception/waiver so she would not sit out 2019-20. We do not know.

But what we do know is that there was discussion or reference to any "agreement" with the University of Texas regarding the transfer for medical reasons.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, there’s “Bigs” and there is “height”. Of the 5 players you mentioned only 1 has proven to be a “Big” in Hebard. Giomi averaged 9 min, 2 points and 2 rebounds a game last year. older Sabally plays an outside game, averaged 6.2 rebounds. Younger Sabally didn’t play at all but seems to be a potential “Big”. The Freshman from Australia is just that a tall lanky freshman who will not see much time this year. So you have 1 proven Big, one wing, 1 part-time, I potential and 1 unknown or suspect freshman.
Pac10 does seem to bring in “project” bigs who seem to develop slowly over the 4 years. See OSU, Stanford, Cal, ASU, Washington....not sure I put them in Baylor’s category with Cox and Brown or even Shepard and Turner.

Is our infatuation with bigs due to 1 loss to MSU (fluke) and the 2 losses to ND in the Semi’s? I mean we did beat SC with Wilson every year including 2 without Stewie. We also beat ND those 2 years as well.

Look at Texas, Tenn, OSU, Stanford and Cal with all their size, what has it gotten them? NOTHING! You have 1 skilled big and 2/3 rebound supporting members and you will be fine.

My father the coach quoted a famous saying that cut 2 ways- “You can’t teach height” in that yes you want height but you also needed athletic and capable height, not bench warmers who couldn’t contribute because they can’t box out, shoot or block.:rolleyes:
Look what solid & tall players did for Baylor last year!

Reaction Score
Although I usually agree with your posts, the "hands-off, West Coast hippie" comment seems to me condescending, as has been the case with a fair number of posts about Graves on this board. Yes, he likes to leave his players alone as much as possible during games, and, yes, he can be a funny guy, but his practices are, by all accounts, not easy, and Oregon didn't lead the nation in assist to turnover ratio with a coach who wasn't demanding or didn't pay attention to detail. (We had one of those right before Graves arrived.) It also seems all too easy to forget his success at Gonzaga, along with (for example) the fact that one of the premier point guards in the WBA played for him (Vandersloot), with another sure to follow. It's also worth noting Maite Cazorla's quiet (as always, in her case) success as an NBA rookie this year (she was ranked 100 on Hoopgurlz and spoke very little English when she arrived in Eugene) or the transformation of a very raw Ruthy Hebard into (according to ESPN) one of the coming season's top seniors. Of course he's not Geno--who is?--but there are good reasons why Geno predicted that Graves would make a final four immediately after he was hired some 5 years ago now.

Thought this was an interesting thread. Sorry for replying so late.

I would gather that Duck fans would agree that Geno has proven himself to be the best coach in women's college basketball. What we have seen from Graves is that he recruits specific types of basketball players and gets them to buy into his style. He and his staff work really hard to maximize those traits that are most important for the team. His teams take good shots, shoot at a high percentage, and don't turn the ball over much. They also tend to not be super athletic, don't press, don't extend their defense and play good help defense.

I think the players enjoy playing for him because they move the ball, get lots of good shots and have fun. Yes, he had a really player friendly approach. They do a really good job of identifying really good international players. Makes sense as he was building the program when he had much less of a shot at getting top flight US players. The 2019 class was all international. The 2020 class so far is all US.

One thing he's talked about is not requiring players to stay in town during the summer and go to summer school. In fact, one of the starters has permission to miss the first three games of the season so that she can play for the German National Team. He tweeted a week ago about only four players being in the US at that moment.

As far as equating Graves' style to that of a hands-off, West Coast hippie, I wouldn't go that far. He gives the players some freedom on the court, but is very meticulous in practice. Look at his twitter where he talks about how they run plays and how the way they practice carries over into games.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoDucksKG/status/1159178239899660289

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoDucksKG/status/1158454286512087040

His approach is different, but he hasn't built the success that he's had without being a good coach. Especially given that he previously has started with less talent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sedona to Oregon. We’ll be okay without her.
But NOT AS WELL OFF as Uconn would have been with her. It's nice to say Que Sera, Sera (because that is the truth) sometimes it is good to suck our thumbs and say DAG NAMBIT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom