Sedona to Oregon | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sedona to Oregon

Reaction Score
1--- Who is going to attack UCONN in the paint from the AAC and have a legit chance to beat UCONN? Maybe one team on one night?> Maybe? Generally every year college kids have one off night. Anyways good luck with the AAC attack of going after UCONN in the paint.

2--- How many teams in the out-of-conference schedule have a strong inside game? For the teams that have better perimeter scoring -- please go ahead "and change your game to try to attack UCONN in the paint."

3-- For the teams that can attack inside - and are elite caliber-- we have a team and coach known for not having his teams foul. Geno can’t do much about freshmen but as a Soph ONO will have more awareness. ONO's foul troubles also result from going over the back and reaching in as an example. Not every basket will be contested. Just as Geno mentioned in 16-17 season (the undefeated rig season which Miss State beat UCONN last 2nd) Collier has to let some baskets go-- so will ONO.

4-- They type of team that beats them in out of conference will be an elite team more than likely on national tv. Chances are not that many touch fouls will be called - on ONO possible ofc will be called - sure possible-- it may happen sometimes but they generally they let the teams play. And if teams are allowed to be physical it means less touch fouls.

5-- Basketball just like any other sport is a team game. Sometimes you don't replace one player. What were you thinking at the start of the 2016-2017 season, if you so literally believe about the replacement of Collier? Who was going to replace Stewie and MoJeff and Tuck overall? You saw what happened and what it took to beat the 16-17 team yet they didn't "replace" “Stewie,” did they? So why are you so scared now by calling things "problematic?" In addition, ever see the movie Moneyball? You asked who can take the place of Collier? 1--A better Dangerfield, 2-- A much better CWill. 3-- A better Walker. 4-- A better ONO. Just like the 2016-2017 replaced the prior great teams. As "problematic" as it has been UCONN has continued to get to final fours. ‘The team” will replace “Collier” just as they replaced the super great Stewie.

6-- I think it's sort of ironic that you seem to have les confidence in ONO than I do yet you and I had argued previously how great ONO can be for this upcoming year. Anyways - I have more confidence than you in regards to the combination of improvement of other players along with ONO's s improvement and awareness along with potential of all the other players-- all of them would have to "fail" for things to become "problematic" unless you are talking “championship or bust.” To take that pov - fi you want to look at things with the "cup being half-empty" - okay. But I don't.

I have no concerns about the AAC season, my concerns start with the third or fourth round of the BIG tournament...............I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one but I certainly hope that you are correct as it will make for a very enjoyable basketball season....................

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The guy who did the first tweet implies he knows more than a random fan

Probably over-reading, but I thought it was odd that he’s blaming Texas trainers for causing the injury vs for something about how the rehab was handled... which is how I interpreted the quote from her in the article.
Years ago, a player suffered a career ending shoulder injury because she’d been told to do a certain weightlifting exercise improperly. Maybe the accusation is due to a belief in a similar situation?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“I’ll be pushing for that waiver," she said in a phone interview. "I’ve heard from a few people that there’s a good chance that I’ll get it. They know the full story and know what’s been going on... If I do get that waiver, watch out, national championship here we come."

Te’a Cooper sat out two years in similar fashion. She suffered an injury early in her freshman year (Tennessee), then transferred to S. Carolina because of a personality conflict with a teammate. She sat out that year also.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Years ago, a player suffered a career ending shoulder injury because she’d been told to do a certain weightlifting exercise improperly. Maybe the accusation is due to a belief in a similar situation?
Whatever the facts are at TX, I am absolutely certain that neither the university’s administration or athletic department will admit to any fault in their treatment of Prince’s injury. Their lawyers would never permit the University to put the school in the position of opening itself up to a potential lawsuit by admitting liability

When Prince entered the transfer portal, she alluded to some agreement with TX that she would be transferring for “medical reasons.” If such an agreement exists, I can only guess that it simply states that TX will not oppose Prince’s waiver request, perhaps with the school specifically indicating “no responsibility for either her injury or any problems encountered during her recovery.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tea cooper sat out two years in similar fashion. She suffered an injury early in her freshman year, then transferred to S. Carolina because of personality conflict with a teammate. She sat out that first year.

Yes, but unless something changes she's only going to get three years of basketball eligibility.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Whether or not she milks this to get a waiver we'll never know, but I dont think it's fair to make assumptions about it. There is a lot more that goes into her comfort with medical treatment than just the fact that her leg healed a year later. If she made similar statements after committing to UCONN, the majority here would be defending her instead of questioning it.

I don’t think she should have to sit out another year. Nothing would be served by making her sit another year. I hope she’s allowed to play this season. :)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don’t think she should have to sit out another year. Nothing would be served by making her sit another year. I hope she’s allowed to play this season. :)

Me too. Honestly I hope everyone who applies for it gets a waiver...it's a dumb rule IMO that players have to sit out a year when they transfer.

Reaction Score
Not knowing the circumstances, but knowing someone who had a similar injury, I’m not convinced she’d be physically ready to play this coming season waiver or no waiver.

Reaction Score
Nan-- I agree. I don't know if you'll recall this but at one point during a season you and I were raving about Kiah Stokes defense. We both had said best post defender UCONN ever had. In her sr year there was a play a guard caught a breakaway pass and when she turned her head while taking a dribble or two-- she saw Stokes in a defensive crouch waiting for her. She immediately stopped going forward and pulled the ball out. Also I remember I believe her jr year Texas was giving UCONN fits in NCAA's and she came in the game and the game turned- UCONN stopped getting whipped inside. Instead UCONN just dominated.

As for ONO in terms of potential I agree she doesn't have Stokes strength but ONO will get stronger. I do believe she is quicker that Stokes thus I believe she has the potential to be even better with help defense. Plus I think her quickness might mean she could better switch on pick-and-rolls (or similar to). OFC she can't "stop" an "Asia Durr"-- I see the potential that she can switch defensively vs most teams (ofc they would need another "big" inside if she is forced to defend a 10-15 foot shot on a pick-and-roll or similar to.). I just think her quickness/agility from someone her size is elite and as a result potentially she can become freaky tremendous.
If Liv is half as good a rebounder and shot blocker as Kiah was, we’ll be fine. I think she has the instincts to do it, but Kiah set a very high bar.

Reaction Score
Not knowing the circumstances, but knowing someone who had a similar injury, I’m not convinced she’d be physically ready to play this coming season waiver or no waiver.
From the article Sluconn posted:
But the healing is over, she says. She says her bones are "100-percent" healed and that the pain has gone too. “I haven’t seen any changes," she said. "I can still jump as high. I can still run. It’s pretty awesome. I’m starting to feel like myself again on the basketball court. I can do the same moves. I’m a little bit slower because I haven’t ran in a while, but I feel the same. I feel like me, which is awesome.”

If the fractures are fully healed and she is running and jumping and has over 4 months before the season starts I’m not sure why she wouldn’t be “physically” ready. She needs to get into shape and to get a lot of court time but that’s pretty much true for most newcomers to the college game.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well Coach Geno Auriemma said he didn't think UConn would be Sedona Prince choice. I am glad she didn't choose Notre Dame.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well Coach Geno Auriemma said he didn't think UConn would be Sedona Prince choice. I am glad she didn't choose Notre Dame.
When/where did he say that?

Reaction Score
Sedona Prince isn't coming to Uconn...with all due respect..lets discuss someone or something else.
Completely agree... reading the talk about ONO and people's questions/concerns, makes me flash back to the December 2nd 2018 game vs ND...in ND, when ONO came off the bench and made her incredible block of Marina Mabrey's back door lay up attempt, that resulted in a UCONN break the other way and Mabrey sitting on the floor under her own basket crying to the ref for a foul. I expect to see more defense from ONO similar to that one this season...although few will be as satisfying. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It wouldn't make sense that she would apply for a waiver to play this season if she was not going to be healthy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With all due respect UCONN plays Oregon this season, maybe twice if the stars align correctly.
...and I for one hope she gets the waiver and gets in the game against UConn. I also want to see how this team reacts on the court when its number one option and main distributor is playing in the Association and is on the Olympic team. As much as I like Kelly, and I've gone on record frequently saying so, I still believe Scott wins the championship last year with him at the helm.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't make sense that she would apply for a waiver to play this season if she was not going to be healthy.
I agree. At this point she probably does think she’ll be healthy. I’m looking at the possibility of reinjuring it once she begins daily heavy sprinting and jumping drills. I hope it has healed well and she has no further problems but I remember Sam Bowie.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Here is a vexatious question. Do we KNOW, not speculate or calculate, that either Geno, Muffet, or both extended offers to Sedona? Is it possible that she made a choice among two offers only, or just accepted the only one available?

Do official visits by transfer candidates include a workout, so that the coaching staff can see what the prospect can do after a long medical layoff?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. At this point she probably does think she’ll be healthy. I’m looking at the possibility of reinjuring it once she begins daily heavy sprinting and jumping drills. I hope it has healed well and she has no further problems but I remember Sam Bowie.
Somewhat different though. Sam Bowie, Greg Oden were the results of bad genes that deteriorated over time. Sedona's injury was just plain bad luck and by physics. No indication of bad genes in 4 years of HS and 3 summers on USA basketball teams.

Reaction Score
Somewhat different though. Sam Bowie, Greg Oden were the results of bad genes that deteriorated over time. Sedona's injury was just plain bad luck and by physics. No indication of bad genes in 4 years of HS and 3 summers on USA basketball teams.
There’s just something about really tall athletes and lower leg and foot bones once problems start huh? Bill Walton?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is a vexatious question. Do we KNOW, not speculate or calculate, that either Geno, Muffet, or both extended offers to Sedona? Is it possible that she made a choice among two offers only, or just accepted the only one available?
Do official visits by transfer candidates include a workout, so that the coaching staff can see what the prospect can do after a long medical layoff?
A school can conduct a medical examination of potential student-athlete, and conduct a tryout to evaluate the student-athlete’s strength, speed, agility and sport skills for all sports except football, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer and wrestling.

I highly doubt that a scholarship offer was contingent on Sedona's medical exam though. She was a proven player with 4 years of eligibility remaining, meaning she would have plenty of time to heal from whatever ails her.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I have to believe that both UConn & ND offered Prince, because, as we all know, you can’t teach 6’7”. What is also clear is that whatever Prince is looking for, she didn’t find it at Storrs or South Bend, as she has now turned down both programs on two separate occasions.

Reaction Score
I have to believe that both UConn & ND offered Prince, because, as we all know, you can’t teach 6’7”. What is also clear is that whatever Prince is looking for, she didn’t find it at Storrs or South Bend, as she has now turned down both programs on two separate occasions.
Maybe after 2 years at Oregon, the third time will be the charm for one of them. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom