Sedona Prince Transfer Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Sedona Prince Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK thanks. I thought somehow there is a way to delete yourself from the BY that I am not aware of. What the heck does BY points do for a person anyway? Why would you want more of it?
:eek:OMG!
1) Because BY points are convertible to others forms of currency.
2) For the same reason you keep score during a basketball game. How else would you determine a winner? :D

Reaction Score
Our academic peers are more like Texas and Penn State, while ND's is more like Rice and Wash U in St Louis. Different league for sure. Again depends on major, but in general terms. If she's majoring in basketball then UConn has the advantage. In terms of proximity to home, DFW to Storrs is a 5-6 hour journey all in. Probably a little more than half that to ND.
Just a slight correction. Sedona lives just north of Austin so she would fly out of Austin Bergstrom airport. Add an hour to your travel time.

Reaction Score
:D
It is times like these when I miss @bags27 because as a former college professor at an Ivy league institution he would remind us all that an education is what you make of it. However... the position that there is only a "marginal" difference in education between ND and UCONN (for the general/average student ) is an untenable one. As politically incorrect as this may sound Sedona will be majoring in basketball at which ever school she chooses, therefore UCONN is a superior choice. :D
I can pinch hit for @bags27, as another former professor from an Ivy League institution. Yes, education is what you make of it. The top schools provide access to better resources, and importantly, a peer group that inspires you to succeed. Then you have a network that can help you through life. Same story with UCONN and basketball - better resources, great peer group, a reputation of excellence and a family of former players, many excelling at the very pinnacle of the game. You can still make it from other institutions but ....

Reaction Score
I can pinch hit for @bags27, as another former professor from an Ivy League institution. Yes, education is what you make of it. The top schools provide access to better resources, and importantly, a peer group that inspires you to succeed. Then you have a network that can help you through life. Same story with UCONN and basketball - better resources, great peer group, a reputation of excellence and a family of former players, many excelling at the very pinnacle of the game. You can still make it from other institutions but ....
UCONN stars go on to do pretty well in WNBA. And the really legendary ones, if you aspire to be so, are now getting jobs in the NBA not to mention broadcasting and coaching in womens game. Great recruiting material.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I miss Bags. :(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This pinch hit was a home run!

Reaction Score
I'm not feeling good about our chances. No special reason. Just doubt. Hope I'm wrong. I know I claimed her but.....

Reaction Score
So let’s assume Prince chooses UConn, what do we have on the court. Does she split time with ONO? Do they both start? If they do, who sits? If Danger, Walker and CW are given, who gets the other two slots? What if the Tennessee transfer gets a waiver? Does she start? An interesting problem. Makes for a deep bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So let’s assume Prince chooses UConn, what do we have on the court. Does she split time with ONO? Do they both start? If they do, who sits? If Danger, Walker and CW are given, who gets the other two slots? What if the Tennessee transfer gets a waiver? Does she start? An interesting problem. Makes for a deep bench.

Prince will have played very little in over a year by the time the season starts. Even assuming she's given a waiver to play this season and is healthy enough to do so, she'd probably be coming off the bench. She's still just a freshman as well.

Reaction Score
This pinch hit was a home run!
Your response too was out of the ball park. Few arguing over ND, Stanford, Uconn, etc see the point you delivered. College at any institution is as much or as little as YOU make of it. Add to that your 9th inning homer was--(paraphrasing) Basketball players are in these schools to enhance their skill set for Europe or the W. Not too shabby!! Points I wish I used but shall remember.

Reaction Score
Prince will have played very little in over a year by the time the season starts. Even assuming she's given a waiver to play this season and is healthy enough to do so, she'd probably be coming off the bench. She's still just a freshman as well.
Rare players ever walk into Geno's studio of artistic excellence as a starter. Z comes readily to mind: Skilled, experienced, div One ready but not exactly as Geno foresaw her play. That goes for 5 new players. If anyone of them starts we will know we have an exceptional player or she's the current best.

Reaction Score
Just my ignorant opinion: I suspect if Prince is game ready she will initially split time at the center with ONO In practice they will be developing a High Low game. OnO and Prince will both need some protection from overplaying and fouls until both prove they may play full games without more than 3 fouls. Some thing I prayed for these past 4 seasons.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just my ignorant opinion: I suspect if Prince is game ready she will initially split time at the center with ONO In practice they will be developing a High Low game. OnO and Prince will both need some protection from overplaying and fouls until both prove they may play full games without more than 3 fouls. Some thing I prayed for these past 4 seasons.
Unfortunately it is the rare freshman forward indeed that gets an abundance of PT anywhere at a top 10 D1, but at UConn they're Unicorn's. Let's not forget, not only has she not had a freshman year so that she's lacking in experience, but not having played for so long means her conditioning is suspect. That alone will limit her PT anywhere.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Posts take longer to develop. I don't see Prince and ONO splitting time. I see ONO getting 25+ MPG and Prince getting 15- MPG. Plus Prince is coming off an injury. She broke both bones in her leg (tibia and fibula) and I'm guessing (not a DR) it was pretty serious.

If she comes to UCONN and is eligible from day 1, she will be eased in IMHO. I could see her with <10 MPG her first year. But if she comes on gangbusters, I could actually see her and ONO on the court together.

Anyone know what one of our best defensive lineups was? It was Stewie, Stokes, and Dolson, Size, strength, athleticism, experience, and talent. ONO and Prince have different skills and offensive games so I could see them coexisting like the aforementioned 3 did. Or you want a current example, Cambage and Wilson.

Anyway when was the last time UCONN had too many post players? It's not a stretch to answer that as "never".

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What do you all think about how the facilities affect incoming recruits. Gampel is a special place, but the XL Center is awful, old, and decrepit. It is not a recruitment advantage IMO.
I didn't realize the players had to sit in the stands, walk the halls for concessions and bathrooms, park their car and find the right exit. What does matter is 10,000 fans show up in the XL Center to root them to victory and allows their NYC alumni/fans the ability to see them....:D

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Geno has a selling point with Prince (and any other post players that he recruits for 2020 or 2021) that no other coach can match. Any front court player should be salivating about the quality of passes that she will get from Chrystyn, Paige, Evina, Nika, and Anna over the next few years (and Crystal if the post player will be playing in 2019-20).

No one else will have that quality or quantity of passers to feed the post in the next few years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Geno has a selling point with Prince (and any other post players that he recruits for 2020 or 2021) that no other coach can match. Any front court player should be salivating about the quality of passes that she will get from Chrystyn, Paige, Evina, Nika, and Anna over the next few years (and Crystal if the post player will be playing in 2019-20).

No one else will have that quality or quantity of passers to feed the post in the next few years.
I feel we owe it to Rebecca Lobo to also point out that the best post entry passes come from another BIG, so Prince should expect some lovely dimes from Liv as well.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize the players had to sit in the stands, wall the halls for concessions and bathrooms, park their car and find the right exit. What does matter is 10,000 fans show up in the XL Center to root them to victory and allows their NYC alumni/fans the ability to see them....:D

They don’t, but family and friends do. I think the facilities, location, ease of travel, hotels all play a small role. Her family will need to travel to see her play if she chooses UConn. Hartford is not easy to get to from any town USA. Sometimes it is the little things they push a decision one way or the other.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They don’t, but family and friends do. I think the facilities, location, ease of travel, hotels all play a small role. Her family will need to travel to see her play if she chooses UConn. Hartford is not easy to get to from any town USA. Sometimes it is the little things they push a decision one way or the other.
As I pointed out in several earlier posts, ND is not easy to get to either, particularly if you're flying to O'Hare from TX and then driving all the way to South Bend, IN around and through Chicago traffic. If making it easy on family and friends to see her play was a deciding factor, Sedona will remain in TX.

Reaction Score
As I pointed out in several earlier posts, ND is not easy to get to either, particularly if you're flying to O'Hare from TX and then driving all the way to South Bend, IN around and through Chicago traffic. If making it easy on family and friends to see her play was a deciding factor, Sedona will remain in TX.

I do not think that travel is a relevant issue as every UConn game is televised on ESPN 3 or the pay for view ESPN for $5.00 per month. Parents, friends, relatives will all have that opportunity. So getting on plane to watch her plane does not hold up. Actually, UConn plays Houston and another school in Texas once per year and they have a game with Texas sometimes on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Other than a shorter flight, why do you think Hartford is harder to get to and/or less convenient than say ND? One has an international airport and is the state capital, the other is somewhere on the Indiana-Michigan border.

Reaction Score

I’m just making small talk. Who knows what she is thinking. Maybe she wants to play a lot as a freshman, maybe she wants to be coached by Geno, maybe she wants to win championships, or get an elite education. These kids are motivated by things that are very different from my day. I hope she has her head on straight and is getting good advice. If she is we have a chance.

Reaction Score
Other than a shorter flight, why do you think Hartford is harder to get to and/or less convenient than say ND? One has an international airport and is the state capital, the other is somewhere on the Indiana-Michigan border.

Cheap flights to Chicago and direct from almost anyplace USA. Hartford is one of those hard to get to cities IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom