Saylor is coming!!! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:eek: Autumn is not on an athletic scholarship though.
That’s the point, and I have no doubt that one of Autumn’s goals is to earn an athletic scholarship, which would be a great achievement for her personally, as well as a cause for celebration for her parents.

Reaction Score
With Aubrey Griffin's performance last Saturday against Providence, and her performance towards the end of last season, to include her in this statement, in my humble opinion, is just not correct.
I am a fan of Aubrey as well but I think this is a reference to her weaknesses which remain unresolved. I still believe her contribution, a major contribution, is in bursts off bench. Nothing wrong with that. A team with more than one player who qualifies as a great sixth “man” is a likely national champion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Aubrey Griffin's performance last Saturday against Providence, and her performance towards the end of last season, to include her in this statement, in my humble opinion, is just not correct.
If we are to only use end of last season and Providence game as the measuring stick for Aubrey the question becomes, why isn't she starting? She is not starting, and even if she were the holes in her game not only leave room for improvement but room for competition for minutes from players that don't have those same holes in her game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard, Saylor!!

200.gif

Reaction Score
Don't need to take your word.

In the National Merit® Scholarship Program, three types of Merit Scholarship® awards are offered to Finalists: National Merit $2500 Scholarships, corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and college-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards. Special Scholarships are awarded to outstanding students who are not Finalists and meet a corporate sponsor's criteria.

The Corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards, and College-sponsored Merit Scholarship are whatever the the college and the corporation agree to kick in. There also used to be something called a National Achievement Scholarship Program which was National Merit Scholarships specifically for African American Students. That component of the program was folded into the UNCF back in 2016?. As @CajunHusky correctly points out there are many academic scholarships out there and knowing about everyone of them them is critically important to one of my side hustles.

• The Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarship awards are given to children of a company’s employees or members, for residents of the company’s community, or to Finalists with career plans related to a particular company. The awards vary in what they’re worth.
  • The College-Sponsored Merit Scholarship awards at a chosen college or university. The sponsoring college or university chooses the winners. The awards also vary in what they’re worth.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Typical BoneYard thread, title says one thing but the posters latch on to a completely AND irrelevant dialogue...Head bang

Back to Saylor-she has chosen an opportunity to accelerate her collegiate choice a semester early as there were either limited or no opportunities to play in HS this year. She offers some unique skills for this team-position versatility, outside shooting and ball handling. I am dubious on even 10 min per game simply because we have 9 deep already so 7-10 average for me would be outstanding. If she can even average 2-3 3-point shots a game that would be good. She will have growing pains as all the freshman usually do (Paige is becoming an exception). There is nothing but upside here. Geno and Staff had to approve this and think it was a good idea, why anyone here is so concerned about other players minutes, obviously is not in tune with the competitive UConn spirit. Play the cards you are dealt and let the chips fall where they may. Happy to have you Saylor!

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Azzi will join Saylor on this year's team. We might need Azzi against the top teams like Stanford, South Carolina & Baylor in this year's tournament. It's very top-heavy this year. Only a few teams have a chance.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A largely repetitive article from the Courant just went up.

Poffenbarger underwent left hip surgery in April, but Laflin said she looked healthy when he recently saw her play in a local fall league.

“Saylor’s a coach’s kid. She’s a smart player. She has the right view. She’s not going to come in and make it about her. She’s not going to have to face any of the maturity hurdles, I wouldn’t think,” Laflin said. “I would imagine Saylor has realistic expectations, and that’s the advice that I would give any of them is to say, ‘You’ve got to have a realistic expectation, to treat this as an experience that as you grow and gain, if you get to play and produce or even be in a consistent rotation, that’s a little bit of a bonus. But you can’t go in judging it like you just judged your high school game that you played in two weeks ago.’

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully, Azzi will join Saylor on this year's team. We might need Azzi against the top teams like Stanford, South Carolina & Baylor in this year's tournament. It's very top-heavy this year. Only a few teams have a chance.
Don’t think that’s going to happen. The 3rd qtr at Azzi’s HS starts next week. If she had completed her HS requirements, she would already be here.

Reaction Score
If we are to only use end of last season and Providence game as the measuring stick for Aubrey the question becomes, why isn't she starting? She is not starting, and even if she were the holes in her game not only leave room for improvement but room for competition for minutes from players that don't have those same holes in her game.
Coco - "Every" player on this UCONN Husky Team (Including Paige) has "holes" in their games that leave room for those players to improve (albeit not all the "Same Holes", but holes none the less), to which every other play on this team 'could' take minutes away from those other players, should they fail to improve. My personal opinion is that with Aubrey Griffin, you have such a "Natural" talent, who is just finding their "College Game". Paige as HOLES, CW has HOLES, Olivia has HOLES, Evina has HOLES, Anna has HOLES, Aubrey has HOLES, AE has HOLES, Nika has HOLES, Autumn has HOLES, PG has HOLES, Mir has HOLES, and I am certain to say that SAYLOR has HOLES. No play on this team is perfect. This is why we have such a great coaching staff, who have year and year of "GLUE and PUTTY" to permanently patch up allot of these HOLES. Let's praise the abilities of each and every member of this team. REMEMBER, IT IS 'NOT' ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL WHO WILL CARRY THIS TEAM TO A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. RATHER IT WILL BE THE 'COLLECTIVE TEAM EFFORT' FROM EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS TEAM, THAT WILL BRING THIS TEAM TO GLORY'

Reaction Score
I am a fan of Aubrey as well but I think this is a reference to her weaknesses which remain unresolved. I still believe her contribution, a major contribution, is in bursts off bench. Nothing wrong with that. A team with more than one player who qualifies as a great sixth “man” is a likely national champion.
100% agree. I think that Aubrey is your "Pro-Typical" 6th 'MAN' that provides this "TEAM" with the spark and drive, coming off the bench. AG clearly gives this team a 'Different Look' that helps this team. AG should NOT start for this team, but rather she should come off the bench and with such, get and give significant amount of minutes, because she is that 'Spark Plug' who is capable of a 15 Points/10 Rebound games 'Off The Bench' each and every game. If UCONN can get that type of game consistently from AG, 'Off The Bench' this team WILL WIN a National Championship

Reaction Score
I will say this. If the 4 frosh are as good as advertised next year. Piath, Aubrey, Mir and Autumn don't learn the offense. They will all lose playing time.
Are you saying that Aubrey doesn't know the offense? I don't agree with that. Mir is starting to catch on to the offense as well. I'm sure Autumn knows the offense since she is supposed to be a 4.0 student.

There may be reasons that they don't play, but not knowing the offense is not going to be one of them.

Reaction Score
Coco - "Every" player on this UCONN Husky Team (Including Paige) has "holes" in their games that leave room for those players to improve (albeit not all the "Same Holes", but holes none the less), to which every other play on this team 'could' take minutes away from those other players, should they fail to improve. My personal opinion is that with Aubrey Griffin, you have such a "Natural" talent, who is just finding their "College Game". Paige as HOLES, CW has HOLES, Olivia has HOLES, Evina has HOLES, Anna has HOLES, Aubrey has HOLES, AE has HOLES, Nika has HOLES, Autumn has HOLES, PG has HOLES, Mir has HOLES, and I am certain to say that SAYLOR has HOLES. No play on this team is perfect. This is why we have such a great coaching staff, who have year and year of "GLUE and PUTTY" to permanently patch up allot of these HOLES. Let's praise the abilities of each and every member of this team. REMEMBER, IT IS 'NOT' ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL WHO WILL CARRY THIS TEAM TO A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. RATHER IT WILL BE THE 'COLLECTIVE TEAM EFFORT' FROM EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS TEAM, THAT WILL BRING THIS TEAM TO GLORY'
sleepy kevin james GIF by TV Land

Reaction Score
100% agree. I think that Aubrey is your "Pro-Typical" 6th 'MAN' that provides this "TEAM" with the spark and drive, coming off the bench. AG clearly gives this team a 'Different Look' that helps this team. AG should NOT start for this team, but rather she should come off the bench and with such, get and give significant amount of minutes, because she is that 'Spark Plug' who is capable of a 15 Points/10 Rebound games 'Off The Bench' each and every game. If UCONN can get that type of game consistently from AG, 'Off The Bench' this team WILL WIN a National Championship
That is a big "if" though, consistency has been AG's biggest issue so far at UConn.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that Aubrey doesn't know the offense? I don't agree with that. Mir is starting to catch on to the offense as well. I'm sure Autumn knows the offense since she is supposed to be a 4.0 student.

There may be reasons that they don't play, but not knowing the offense is not going to be one of them.
It is quite obvious that the aforementioned do not know the offense, being "book smart" also has very little bearing on understanding the inner workings of a motion offense. It is more about feel and reading defenses than learning absolute rules.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. Looks like the private schools want their tuition and their players playing bball for them.

Reaction Score
Yeah she's like the Hanby of this team.

Reaction Score
It is quite obvious that the aforementioned do not know the offense, being "book smart" also has very little bearing on understanding the inner workings of a motion offense. It is more about feel and reading defenses than learning absolute rules.
How is it quite obvious! You have not seen enough from Autumn or Piath to even say they don't know the offense.

Intelligence helps you understand things better than those without it - even it if does not come out of a book. Who is to say that Autumn only has book intelligence anyway? From what I have seen, AG knows the offense and MM is certainly getting better at it.

Yes having a feel and reading defenses help,s and that is about all I agree with you on.

Reaction Score
How is it quite obvious! You have not seen enough from Autumn or Piath to even say they don't know the offense.

Intelligence helps you understand things better than those without it - even it if does not come out of a book. Who is to say that Autumn only has book intelligence anyway? From what I have seen, AG knows the offense and MM is certainly getting better at it.

Yes having a feel and reading defenses help,s and that is about all I agree with you on.
From what I have seen of Autumn is she is quite comfortable in UConn's defense and offense. But whether those limited minutes are enough to make a definitive judgement (?). As far as Piath she needs awareness (too many passes pass her by). And she needs work on skills and footwork.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A largely repetitive article from the Courant just went up.

Poffenbarger underwent left hip surgery in April, but Laflin said she looked healthy when he recently saw her play in a local fall league.

“Saylor’s a coach’s kid. She’s a smart player. She has the right view. She’s not going to come in and make it about her. She’s not going to have to face any of the maturity hurdles, I wouldn’t think,” Laflin said. “I would imagine Saylor has realistic expectations, and that’s the advice that I would give any of them is to say, ‘You’ve got to have a realistic expectation, to treat this as an experience that as you grow and gain, if you get to play and produce or even be in a consistent rotation, that’s a little bit of a bonus. But you can’t go in judging it like you just judged your high school game that you played in two weeks ago.’
If I didn’t know better I swear that Alexa either reads and or post on the BY. Wait a second do I “really” know better?
I Take It Back Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Reaction Score
Thats a whole lot of holes..
Saturday GIF

Reaction Score
If I didn’t know better I swear that Alexa either reads and or post on the BY. Wait a second do I “really” know better?
I Take It Back Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
I don't ever remember reading anything she's written that I hadn't already learned on the BY or somewhere else. I don't bother anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom