Saylor is coming!!! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Saylor is coming!!!

Reaction Score
I’m glad Saylor is coming in early, it definitely adds some excitement, and speculation about minutes and stuff to the board. I always saw her as a combo forward at UConn, playing the 4 and 3 spots when on the court. I’m not sure how many minutes she will get or if she will push for playing time, if she does I think she will take more minutes away from Mir then others unfortunately because they both play similar roles. On another note it was said that Saylor would likely be more of a role player at UConn, when you combine that with her not being a consensus top 10 recruit, how much of an impact will she have. I agree that if she can knock down her 3 point shots consistently then she will get time on the court since that’s something this team is lacking, but the number of UConn recruits who have come in ranked outside the top 15 of there high school class and got immediate playing is pretty small I think Faris, Dolson, Nurse, and Griffin are the only players to do so using HoopGurlz ranking system. Maybe Saylor will push Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, or Griffin for minutes as some has said, but I’m not really seeing it, if she was Fudd or maybe Ducharme I would say she’ll definitely get a lot of minutes, but only time will tell.

Saylor is already on campus according to to Instagram story.

Reaction Score
I am not the only one that sees it. Being a sophmore no she doesn't know the offense like she should by know. She had a good game the other day but now she's 1 for her career beyond 4 feet.That's your opinion. I will stand by mine.
Ok, not knowing the offense as much as she should, I may agree with that a bit more than not knowing the offense at all, which is what I understood you to mean. I don't think she is natural with pre-detemined places to go on the floor. She is all instinct and backyard ball. She does know te offense well enough from what I saw.

Also, AG helps this team in so many ways that if she never hits a shot outside of 4 feet, she is still a big threat coming in off the bench. I know if I was playing that she is the last person I want to guard and chase around and run like hell up the court to stay with. Not to mention I would need to work like hell to keep her off the boards and then I have to deal with her constantly harassing me baseline to baseline, all day long.

Every time she enters the game, she makes an impact in multiple ways..every single time!

She isn't a perfect fit in a half court but man, she can help a lot and will. Now if she ever develops a consistent 15 footer, she is instant AA in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m glad Saylor is coming in early, it definitely adds some excitement, and speculation about minutes and stuff to the board. I always saw her as a combo forward at UConn, playing the 4 and 3 spots when on the court. I’m not sure how many minutes she will get or if she will push for playing time, if she does I think she will take more minutes away from Mir then others unfortunately because they both play similar roles. On another note it was said that Saylor would likely be more of a role player at UConn, when you combine that with her not being a consensus top 10 recruit, how much of an impact will she have. I agree that if she can knock down her 3 point shots consistently then she will get time on the court since that’s something this team is lacking, but the number of UConn recruits who have come in ranked outside the top 15 of there high school class and got immediate playing is pretty small I think Faris, Dolson, Nurse, and Griffin are the only players to do so using HoopGurlz ranking system. Maybe Saylor will push Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, or Griffin for minutes as some has said, but I’m not really seeing it, if she was Fudd or maybe Ducharme I would say she’ll definitely get a lot of minutes, but only time will tell.

I think no matter what we get from her, we will be a much better and deeper team come late march.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Excuse my ignorance...here...but, I have a question. Given that Saylor is a sharpshooting 3 point player and that she may given 4 and half seasons of play and possibly more games than her predecessors...If she breaks the three point scoring record at UConn will there be an asterisk next to her record?
Nope

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don’t think that’s going to happen. The 3rd qtr at Azzi’s HS starts next week. If she had completed her HS requirements, she would already be here.
The Courant reported that Azzi and Caroline are staying right where they are and Amari was at the time noncommital. It's at the bottom of one of their Saylor articles.

Same from D Bonjour in a paywall article in the Post:

"Caroline Ducharme and consensus No. 1 prospect Azzi Fudd both intend to stay the course and remain in high school, they told Hearst Connecticut Media, while Amari DeBerry has yet to reveal her plans.

Ducharme, a 5-10 guard from Noble & Greenough School in Massachusetts, said academics factored heavily into her decision, as was the case with Fudd, a 5-11 guard from St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C."

Note that Bonjour still clings to Caroline's freshman height - 4" less than her actual height. Such sloppiness refries my beans! Also a negative conotation about Saylor and academics. She finished her academic requirements for graduation last term.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Courant reported that Azzi and Caroline are staying right where they are and Amari was at the time noncommital. It's at the bottom of one of their Saylor articles.

"Caroline Ducharme and consensus No. 1 prospect Azzi Fudd both intend to stay the course and remain in high school, they told Hearst Connecticut Media, while Amari DeBerry has yet to reveal her plans.

Ducharme, a 5-10 guard from Noble & Greenough School in Massachusetts, said academics factored heavily into her decision, as was the case with Fudd, a 5-11 guard from St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C."

Note that Bonjour still clings to Caroline's freshman height - 4" less than her actual height. Such sloppiness refries my beans! Also a negative conotation about Saylor and academics. She finished her academic requirements for graduation last term.
Fully agree with you on that negative connotation by Bonjour: that Saylor is less academically incline than Azzi and Caroline and that the reason she was able to come to UCONN early. Very sloppy and unfair.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Beware slavish devotion to any ratings service, particularly ESPN's. Other services have Saylor far higher and also get Ducharme's height right! ;) For example PrepGirls Hoops rates Saylor 9 and Caroline 15. But the HS rankings fall by the wayside when they slip on the practice duds.

Reaction Score
Fully agree with you on that negative connotation by Bonjour: that Saylor is less academically incline than Azzi and Caroline and that the reason she was able to come to UCONN early. Very sloppy and unfair.
Well said as usual.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I was at a game last season and saw Caroline Azzi Amari walking around Gampel. Amari is really really tall, Im 5'10 and Azzi is taller then me and Caroline is taller then Azzi. Paige was sitting behind the UConn bench. As far as Saylor goes this season. If shes hitting her outside shots she will get good minutes if shes not she will not get as many minutes. She is a top 10 recruit in my eyes and needs to focus on getting up to speed at the college level. Being a coaches daughter she should know the game and have the basic fundementals to play at the college level. She has a short time to learn Genos system and thats what matters as we head toward February and March. She will be just fine. I expect her to contribute this season and if she does better then we think thats a plus. Dont expect to much, shes missed alot of competiitve BB in HS but she is 6'2 athletic and a good ballhandler and really good shooter. Shes gonna be just fine

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ok, not knowing the offense as much as she should, I may agree with that a bit more than not knowing the offense at all, which is what I understood you to mean. I don't think she is natural with pre-detemined places to go on the floor. She is all instinct and backyard ball. She does know te offense well enough from what I saw.

Also, AG helps this team in so many ways that if she never hits a shot outside of 4 feet, she is still a big threat coming in off the bench. I know if I was playing that she is the last person I want to guard and chase around and run like hell up the court to stay with. Not to mention I would need to work like hell to keep her off the boards and then I have to deal with her constantly harassing me baseline to baseline, all day long.

Every time she enters the game, she makes an impact in multiple ways..every single time!

She isn't a perfect fit in a half court but man, she can help a lot and will. Now if she ever develops a consistent 15 footer, she is instant AA in my opinion.
She does not have to develop a consistent 15 footer, she just has to start shooting it. It is already developed. Once she makes up her mind to start shooting, people will see it.

Reaction Score
She does not have to develop a consistent 15 footer, she just has to start shooting it. It is already developed. Once she makes up her mind to start shooting, people will see it.
IMHO, she needs to take and make it consistently and then she's AA.

Reaction Score

"Caroline Ducharme and consensus No. 1 prospect Azzi Fudd both intend to stay the course and remain high school, they told Hearst Connecticut Media, while Amari DeBerry has yet to reveal her plans.

Just curious, where was the “negative connotation” about Saylor?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Also a negative conotation about Saylor and academics. She finished her academic requirements for graduation last term.

Let’s talk school schedules again. (I have an hour left in a four hour car ride and I’m getting bored.)

According to the Frederick County Public Schools website (where Saylor’s high school is located), a student needs 24 credits to graduate. On a block schedule, if a student doesn’t take any study halls, that requirement can actually be completed in three years since they’ll earn eight credits per year. Pretty cut and dry and not at all surprising that Saylor was easily able to complete her requirements and move on.

Azzi’s situation is made more complicated by St. John’s requirement that a student complete six credits their senior year (see page eight). Even if the school would say, “Sure, Azzi. If you finish the coursework, you can go,” that’s finishing six year-long courses in one semester.

Caroline is in a similar situation at Noble & Greenough. Even though this is an older (2017) handbook, the graduation policies don’t usually change. According to it (see page 14 [or 17 if you’re counting by how many times you click]), students must pass at least four full credit courses (courses started in the fall semester) and one half credit course (a semester course) in their final semester.

So, yes, academics are keeping Azzi and Caroline from following Saylor and joining early. It’s not a negative thing on Saylor’s part, it’s a “we haven’t designed our expensive curriculum for you to leave early” thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not the only one that sees it. Being a sophmore no she doesn't know the offense like she should by know. She had a good game the other day but now she's 1 for her career beyond 4 feet.That's your opinion. I will stand by mine.

I think you are way too harsh on her. And imo she does know the offense. She just hasn't shown an outside shot other than once. To further that however, I'm more inclined to believe she will hit shots outside the paint - enough by next year to still be competent enough. She knocks down ft's now with high efficiency and some posters on here said in H/S she was capable as a shooter.

But most importantly-- UCONN should have no trouble with shooting and scoring next year. Aubrey's defense is freakish. I wonder if early in season her back was bothering her more than the 1 game she played limited minutes. I think before that game she was hurting. Anyhow, last game did you see her guard the other team's quickest player on the floor? She's UCONN's best defender and will be that next year. That's not easily replaced especially - other than Azzi- who do we know for sure that will be terrific as a frosh beside Azzi?

She was huge as a freshman in helping beat Tennessee and Seton Hall when UCONN could have easily lost. It’s one thing to play well without pressure- she did with pressure as a frosh. Compare that to some other freshmen-- like Moriah Jefferson. Could she ever have taken over a game as a frosh? Not even close – no way she could. What about Gabby? What about Collier? As frosh they could have bene huge beating a top 25 team like Tennessee? Maybe but I doubt it. Anyhow - at worst Aubrey is a freak defender that will have the luxury of having 4 others very good to amazing offensive players that surround her along with that you can't foul Aubrey. To further that- to think about UCONN being among the best teams in wcbb this year and the next 2-- it is pretty obvious to say that she is the best defender. That is special. You can't foul her and she is a freak athlete that can score around the basket at worst.—So other than Azzi next year - those other frosh are going to have to be pretty terrific to supplant her. We have no idea how they will perform.

And I understand she only hit one outside shot but it was in her last game. I agree with many of your posts on here- but on this I think you are being too harsh about not knowing offense. If she didn’t know it by now, Geno would be giving Edwards more than just 16.9 minutes and Liv more than 21.7.

Reaction Score
I’m glad Saylor is coming in early, it definitely adds some excitement, and speculation about minutes and stuff to the board. I always saw her as a combo forward at UConn, playing the 4 and 3 spots when on the court. I’m not sure how many minutes she will get or if she will push for playing time, if she does I think she will take more minutes away from Mir then others unfortunately because they both play similar roles Maybe Saylor will push Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, or Griffin for minutes as some has said, but I’m not really seeing it, if she was Fudd or maybe Ducharme I would say she’ll definitely get a lot of minutes, but only time will tell.

I agree with all you're saying here. I'd be very surprised if she gets above Mir - if she ever does for this year. Also-- UCONN is going to blow out nearly all teams by the time she is ready other than SC and maybe one or two rare games.

Long term though very excited about her. Prior ot her injury - other than HGurlz rating and the newer ESPN ratings that replaced HGurlz- she was 7-10. prior to her injury I think. - Collier and Tuck were 6, Gabby 14. .

Reaction Score
I think you are way too harsh on her. And imo she does know the offense. She just hasn't shown an outside shot other than once. To further that however, I'm more inclined to believe she will hit shots outside the paint - enough by next year to still be competent enough. She knocks down ft's now with high efficiency and some posters on here said in H/S she was capable as a shooter.

But most importantly-- UCONN should have no trouble with shooting and scoring next year. Aubrey's defense is freakish. I wonder if early in season her back was bothering her more than the 1 game she played limited minutes. I think before that game she was hurting. Anyhow, last game did you see her guard the other team's quickest player on the floor? She's UCONN's best defender and will be that next year. That's not easily replaced especially - other than Azzi- who do we know for sure that will be terrific as a frosh beside Azzi?

She was huge as a freshman in helping beat Tennessee and Seton Hall when UCONN could have easily lost. It’s one thing to play well without pressure- she did with pressure as a frosh. Compare that to some other freshmen-- like Moriah Jefferson. Could she ever have taken over a game as a frosh? Not even close – no way she could. What about Gabby? What about Collier? As frosh they could have bene huge beating a top 25 team like Tennessee? Maybe but I doubt it. Anyhow - at worst Aubrey is a freak defender that will have the luxury of having 4 others very good to amazing offensive players that surround her along with that you can't foul Aubrey. To further that- to think about UCONN being among the best teams in wcbb this year and the next 2-- it is pretty obvious to say that she is the best defender. That is special. You can't foul her and she is a freak athlete that can score around the basket at worst.—So other than Azzi next year - those other frosh are going to have to be pretty terrific to supplant her. We have no idea how they will perform.

And I understand she only hit one outside shot but it was in her last game. I agree with many of your posts on here- but on this I think you are being too harsh about not knowing offense. If she didn’t know it by now, Geno would be giving Edwards more than just 16.9 minutes and Liv more than 21.7.
I agree with you that she has some real freakish skills. To me she looks super-human and it doesn't seem fair to the other players because she just going to snatch the rebound or ball away from them anytime she wants.

The things that AG is good at, she is extremely good at...game changing good at them.....defense, rebounding, running the court and harassing the opponent. In my view, she is so good at those things that she can change a game by just doing these things.

She has a nice stroke but just hasn't shown it much. She is more comfortable being on the move which is why I call her a movement player. What gives me hope is as you pointed out she is good at the FT line and she certainly isn't moving when she is shooting FTs, so maybe it is just a matter of time for her to settle down and be able to consistently hit the 15 footer. She has only played a year and a handful of games.....

Reaction Score

The thing is that this year's team thus far lacks exactly what Saylor appears to be really good at and that is shooting the 3 - putting the ball in the basket. So as you said, if she does this just once or twice in a game, GA will play her more and more.

Reaction Score
The thing is that this year's team thus far lacks exactly what Saylor appears to be really good at and that is shooting the 3 - putting the ball in the basket. So as you said, if she can shoot the three, she will play. IMHO, if she does this just once or twice in a game, GA will play her more and more.

It's not hurting us much yet, but at some point, we need to start hitting threes in order for us to compete and challenge high level teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Excuse my ignorance...here...but, I have a question. Given that Saylor is a sharpshooting 3 point player and that she may given 4 and half seasons of play and possibly more games than her predecessors...If she breaks the three point scoring record at UConn will there be an asterisk next to her record?
Who knows? We’re in unprecedented times

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
In the open court I really like AG. In the scrums under the hoop her quick feet and quick hands are winners time after time. Isolated on ball defense, she is our best option. But I really won't have confidence in AG until she doesn't need other players to tell her where to go on offense and she adjusts to the location of the ball in transition up and down the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think you folks will like this ... I mentioned this last winter, but not recently. Saylor is 6’2” and has a long stride. When she runs, she reminds me of a certain 3-time All-American from St. Petersburg, Russia. I’m not saying Saylor is another Sveta, but there is some resemblance in they way they move.

Attachments

• 8A016849-7BBC-474E-BC44-02B2DD87606E.jpeg
    8A016849-7BBC-474E-BC44-02B2DD87606E.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 118
Reaction Score
Yeah. So wrong. It's more about Saylor going to public school where there is no tuition and just needing the credits to have free will. The private schools where Caroline Ducharme and Azzi attend want their money....

Reaction Score
Let’s talk school schedules again. (I have an hour left in a four hour car ride and I’m getting bored.)

According to the Frederick County Public Schools website (where Saylor’s high school is located), a student needs 24 credits to graduate. On a block schedule, if a student doesn’t take any study halls, that requirement can actually be completed in three years since they’ll earn eight credits per year. Pretty cut and dry and not at all surprising that Saylor was easily able to complete her requirements and move on.

Azzi’s situation is made more complicated by St. John’s requirement that a student complete six credits their senior year (see page eight). Even if the school would say, “Sure, Azzi. If you finish the coursework, you can go,” that’s finishing six year-long courses in one semester.

Caroline is in a similar situation at Noble & Greenough. Even though this is an older (2017) handbook, the graduation policies don’t usually change. According to it (see page 14 [or 17 if you’re counting by how many times you click]), students must pass at least four full credit courses (courses started in the fall semester) and one half credit course (a semester course) in their final semester.

So, yes, academics are keeping Azzi and Caroline from following Saylor and joining early. It’s not a negative thing on Saylor’s part, it’s a “we haven’t designed our expensive curriculum for you to leave early” thing.
To quote Kim Mulkey, its not about academics, it's about the almighty dollar for these private schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom