Same old Notre Dame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Same old Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's a difference between losing and getting your doors blown off though

No there’s not. A loss is a loss. I hope I never get to the point where I feel good about a close loss. Apparently you disagree.

Reaction Score
But if a good Cincinnati team beats or plays within 7 of a upper tier SEC team...that would do them good.

Georgia was only beaten by Bama ( by only 17 points), by Florida (16 points)....so a top tier SEC team.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
No there’s not. A loss is a loss. I hope I never get to the point where I feel good about a close loss. Apparently you disagree.
I'm not saying I feel good about losing a close bowl, but I would be pretty PO'd if every big game my team played in they got absolutely murdered in, and every other fan base expected my team to get pantsed in those games every time.

Reaction Score
But if a good Cincinnati team beats or plays within 7 of a upper tier SEC team...that would do them good.

Georgia was only beaten by Bama ( by only 17 points), by Florida (16 points)....so a top tier SEC team.

Do you think the Cincinnati fans should be happy with a close loss?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying I feel good about losing a close bowl, but I would be pretty PO'd if every big game my team played in they got absolutely murdered in, and every other fan base expected my team to get pantsed in those games every time.

I guess that’s the difference. I don’t really care what other fans think, and I don’t get excited about a close loss. It’s interesting that you think a close loss is somehow a good thing. I guess if you set your expectations low enough you can get to the point where some losses actually seem like a good thing. I hope I never get to that point.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
I guess that’s the difference. I don’t really care what other fans think, and I don’t get excited about a close loss. It’s interesting that you think a close loss is somehow a good thing. I guess if you set your expectations low enough you can get to the point where some losses actually seem like a good thing. I hope I never get to that point.
I never said a close loss is a good thing, I would rather lose a close competitive game than see my team lose by 30 and look like they never got off the bus.

Reaction Score
yes

But not happy with a 2-3 TD loss.

I seriously doubt that there would be many Cincy fans who would be happy with a close loss, but there are probably some who would be.

Reaction Score
I never said a close loss is a good thing, I would rather lose a close competitive game than see my team lose by 30 and look like they never got off the bus.

do you think Clemson fans were happy with ND beating them in a close game. Or do you think they felt like the ND fans felt after our second game.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
do you think Clemson fans were happy with ND beating them in a close game. Or do you think they felt like the ND fans felt after our second game.
I wouldn’t say they were happy but seeing as it went to double OT and they were missing their heisman-caliber QB and defensive leader I don’t think they felt as bad as ND fans did after pooping the bed yet again in a big game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say they were happy but seeing as it went to double OT and they were missing their heisman-caliber QB and defensive leader I don’t think they felt as bad as ND fans did after pooping the bed yet again in a big game.

the Clemson fans I know were very upset after they lost, and a double overtime game is obviously pretty close. It’s funny that you actually think a close loss is much better than a bad loss. For many fans the close losses are the worst. And the fact that we were down two starting offensive linemen, and a defensive starter did not make the loss in the second game feel any better.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about you, but I watch football because it’s entertaining. I would rather feel the disappointment from a loss at the end of a game rather then after the first quarter. Speaking as a UConn fan I know the feeling of the latter all to well. Yes a loss is a loss, but I would much rather see my team lose a competitive game rather then seeing them get “pantsed”.

Reaction Score

Clemson is different than Cincy....no, Clemson fans do not like losing even when they have 7 starters out and their star quarterback....but a close loss to a top 5 team does nothing to hurt the public perception of Clemson.

Cincinnati...if they are not competitive with Georgia, it will cement the perception that the best of the AAC aren't ready for prime time...

Cincinnati needs to win or keep it respectable..IMHO.

Clemson wanted to win...Cincinnati NEEDS to look competitive.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I get this but at the same time, some form of entertainment is better than nothing. Better to have this and keep on keeping on than shut it down altogether. Life goes on. I could do without officially granting someone a championship at the end of this crazy shortened season, and certainly a 5 game team doesn't belong.
I agree with you and that's why I watch the NFL. Outside of the few postponed games, it's been consistent all season. I knew it would be more consistent because they have the resources to do testing and tracing effectively. Colleges don't and that's why the season looked like it did schedule wise.

Reaction Score
the Clemson fans I know were very upset after they lost, and a double overtime game is obviously pretty close. It’s funny that you actually think a close loss is much better than a bad loss. For many fans the close losses are the worst. And the fact that we were down two starting offensive linemen, and a defensive starter did not make the loss in the second game feel any better.
Of course close losses are much better than blowouts. It's not even debatable. It's about two teams showing up and competing and playing a great game. Those games come down to a few plays at the end and it's gut wrenching to lose. A close loss means two teams were up to the task but only one team could win.

A blowout on the other hand means one team didn't belong on the field. And that only means sadness.

Reaction Score

ND fan here. The Irish went 10-1, beat Clemson and made the playoffs. Not bad.

Other fans somehow want me to feel bad about that. No sale.

ND is 43-7 in the last four seasons with two playoff berths. Lots of programs would like to have that level of success.

I recall the days of Ty Willingham and Charlie Weis. I also recall ND going 4-8 in 2016.

So, while I definitely wanted ND to beat Clemson again, I ain't crying. ND has come a long way since then.

I am pretty happy where the program is, compared to where it was in say, 2008 (7-6), when UConn and Syracuse were beating ND at home. (ND has won 24 straight games at home now).

Clemson and Alabama are on a different level, but Brian Kelly (102-38 at ND) has done a good job at ND, especially since 2016.

He struggles in big games against elite teams like Alabama and Clemson, but has elevated ND into that next level right below them and has 3 undefeated regular seasons, a BCS title game and two playoff berths since 2012.

He may never win a title at ND, but he has improved the program in a number of ways, recruiting, training table, strength and conditioning, etc... and has the program set up well for his successor.

So, while getting beat in big games ain't fun, I have been enjoying ND's resurgence since 2016.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What proof that they are not (Cincy) ?

Well....Just sneaking by Tulsa and UCF. by 3 points is all the proof I need.. Playing a schedule #81 in SOS...no P5's played.. and squeaking by in the last two games.
Clemson just snuck by BC by 6, including trailing after 3 quarters. Do we hold that against them like you hold the Tulsa and UCF wins against Cincy. I only watch UConn, so I'm not making a case for Cincy, I'm just questioning your use of holding a close victory against someone. In CFB, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. ND got shellacked by Clemson at home by 24. Is that enough to kick them out of the top 4?

Reaction Score
The difference is that Cincinnati did not play a P5, did not have an SOS like the ones above them in the CFP. And their last impression earned no style points.

Clemson, without their QB and three defensive starters, did only beat BC by 6...but that wasn't our last perception of their team....the Tigers did go on to demolish Pitt, VT, and Notre Dame ( by 35, 35,and 24 respectively) before the CFP came out....

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
ND's last performance earned no style points. How did they stay in the top 4.
Again, I have no horse in this race. But what I hear folks saying is they want an admission that the selection process is a sham and that nobody outside of the P5 will ever be in the top 4, regardless of the style points they earn. See UCF in 2017. They beat everyone put in front of them and then Auburn.
On a related note, college football has become boring. Very tired of the same 3 teams every year. The playoffs could use an injection of truly new blood.

Reaction Score
getting to be in the big games makes it all worthwhile. I’d rather lose in the National Championship game than win in the Music City Bowl.

Anyone remember when the Irish fans' arrogantly believed they were a top program and were actually good enough to win "big games?" Now, their fans are just happy to be invited to lose them.

You'll want to keep lowering your standards. You aren't going to lose in the National Championship game. That pie in the sky dream will be dead two possessions in against the Tide.

Reaction Score
Auburn in 2017, had already been beaten by Clemson, LSU, and Georgia.

Would you have put UCF ahead of Clemson....who beat (Final AP Rankings) Auburn #10, #13 Miami, #24 Virginia Tech, and #24 NC State at the time of the CFP ranking ?

Or ahead of Oklahoma, who had beaten #5 Ohio State, #9 TCU, #14 Oklahoma State ?

Maybe 13-1 Bama could have been displaced since they had a weaker than normal schedule.

Reaction Score
And..an ugly truth is that you can not come out of no where and get the benefit of the doubt...

The year before 2017..in 2016...UCF was 6-7 and got pasted 13-31 by Arkansas state in the Orlando Cure Bowl.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2018 would have been UCF's main chance...they played one team in he Final AP Rankings at the time of the CFP ranking...were assigned the Fiesta Bowl and were beaten by LSU.

Had to compete with 13 win Alabama...who had pasted LSU 29-0 (#6 Final AP), beat Georgia (#7 Final AP), and Texas A&M (#16)...

and Clemson....undefeated. And Oklahoma 12-1....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom