Same old Notre Dame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Same old Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
IMO, this was the perfect season for a non P5 team to possibly make the playoffs. At least they should have been able to be in the conversation. Yet they weren't. Even with all of the COVID issues and Ohio St abbreviated season, they couldn't even crack the conversation. I'm not saying they should have been in the Top 4. But they shouldn't have been 8. That's a joke.

There's a reason I didn't watch a snap of CFB this season once UConn pulled the plug. It's the same reason I don't watch football all day Saturday anymore. It's just not interesting anymore when you have the same 4-5 teams who basically dominate the sport each year.
If Cincinnati finished 5th then okay, I get it. They played a mediocre schedule. But the way the committee dumped them last week was telling. I have no respect for that.

How can you say “we haven’t seen them play they’ve been on pause for 3 weeks.”and demote them 3 spots in the rankings. But promote Ohio State into the top 4 when they haven’t played in the same stretch. It’s horse hockey and it’s not fair, but that’s life unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Let's just face it...Cincinnati just didn't look like all that...they won their last two games by a total of six points...3 per game....

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Let's just face it...Cincinnati just didn't look like all that...they won their last two games by a total of six points...3 per game....
Or let's just face it, Cincinnati isn't the "name" like the seven schools you listed above them. You, and no one else, have any clue how it would pan out.

Look, I'm not advocating that Cincy should be in the Top 4. I'm saying that it just further exploits the sham that is the CFB "playoffs" and ranking system. To drop Cincy to 8 is a clear statement that no one outside of a P5, actually P4 + USC, conference should bother. Even then, if you aren't one of the top dog schools in those conferences, don't bother either. No way would a 1 loss Indiana get in over a 2 loss Florida or 2 loss Clemson. It just doesn't sell enough for the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati needed a strong showing to even squeak...sneaking by Tulsa by 3 wasn't it....Not without having any win over a P5 team...and playing Austin Peay.

Not with Bama beating Florida...IN
Clemson whipping the Irish........IN
Ohio State wins by 11................IN

Last spot will be between Con Champ..8-2 Oregon, Conf. Champ 8-2 Oklahonma...10-1 Notre Dame...and maybe, with 8 SEC wins, the Aggies.
Can’t have a P5 win if the P5 conferences decide to play all conference games, and in the Big10 cancel games to keep certain teams from playing too many tough games. System is an utter joke. ND should be out, A&M or Cincy in. Frankly, A&M had their shot and got creamed. Same goes with ND. OSU hasn’t played enough games to be in either, but the love fest knows no bounds. This system will get blown up soon. People are fed up with the rank hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
It is all a sham. Everyone will still watch. They will make tons of money. Therefore, no reason to make any changes.

ND just got a mud hole stomped into them by the number 2 team. Ohio St. didn't play enough games to qualify for the first Bowl Committee Rankings in a normal year prior to playing for their conference title. Hell, the committee would have found a way to put Texas in if they had to. All about the benjamins baby.

Reaction Score
It is all a sham. Everyone will still watch. They will make tons of money. Therefore, no reason to make any changes.

ND just got a mud hole stomped into them by the number 2 team. Ohio St. didn't play enough games to qualify for the first Bowl Committee Rankings in a normal year prior to playing for their conference title. Hell, the committee would have found a way to put Texas in if they had to. All about the benjamins baby.
There's your key right there. They make tons of $$$/mula/dinero... I don't have an issue with ND as a school, but they ALWAYS get cut a break somewhere down the line when it comes to their football team. I rooted for them years ago (way back when Daffy Duck took over.. I think Alan Pinkett was in the last year at RB back then)... BUT they created an entirely new meaning of "Lucky of the Irish" for them as time went on... Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could watch thru a TV and see, in games (check tape on the 2009 game against where we had to outwork the refs to pull that out because they wanted them to win so bad and not get embarrassed on National TV for losing to us).. They keep/kept on getting calls they shouldn't get.... Now they get pistol whipped Saturday night vs. Clemson yet they still get the playoff bid???? Umm.. smh.. I guess, maybe (just maybe), because of this weird year with Covid that they get a Mulligan perhaps? Personally, I wouldn't give it to them... Let them play a regular bowl game without the chance to become a National Championship that they clearly don't deserve. Florida's a better option, the way they hung in there with 'Bama....

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Adding more fuel to the fire for G5 or Independents, 9-2 Army’s bowl game was cancelled.

Reaction Score
What I think that you guys are saying is..."Let's not really rank the top 8 based on what teams are probably the best teams, the strongest teams. Rank Cincinnati even though they may not be the top eight but for social reasons."

Rank them for G5 representation.....I've been hearing that tune a lot in our society.

Army's bowl was cancelled with 21 others...but I am all for G5 independence....Have an FCS champion, G5, and P5.

Always tough to rank a good welter-weight with the heavy-weights...and thus they don't. Or a good AAA pitcher against a good major league pitcher...

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
What I think that you guys are saying is..."Let's not really rank the top 8 based on what teams are probably the best teams, the strongest teams. Rank Cincinnati even though they may not be the top eight but for social reasons."

Rank them for G5 representation.....I've been hearing that tune a lot in our society.

Army's bowl was cancelled with 21 others...but I am all for G5 independence....Have an FCS champion, G5, and P5.
If the teams are close like this year, they rank them based on revenue producing capability in the CFP.

Reaction Score
Are you really suggesting that Cincinnati is a better football team than the seven above them?

Or are you spouting some "share the wealth" philosophy?

Based on merit (strength)...I see Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama as the top three...going away.

Notre Dame was 10-1 with a win and a loss over the #2 team...I don't think that they necessarily belong in the top 4.....Alabama will kill them...Florida would as well...and maybe the Aggies and UNC.

Reaction Score
Cincy may not be ready just yet, but they will be. Their recruiting is stellar. If Fickell sticks around a couple more years, they’ll be making real waves.

Still, the idea that Cincy can’t compete today
is kind of ignorant. We’ve been seeing Boise, UCF and others winning major bowls here and there for years. The American may be quite a bit tougher than people realize.

Reaction Score
Vegas Odds...

UNC favored over Aggies by 3

Clemson 7 1/2 over Ohio State

Alabama by 20 over Notre Dame

Georgia by 6 1/2 over Cincinnati

Tulsa by 1 1/2 over Mississippi State

Florida by 3 over Oklahoma

Wisconsin by 6 1/2 over Wake Forest

Coastal Carolina by 6 over Liberty

Reaction Score
Cincy may not be ready just yet, but they will be. Their recruiting is stellar. If Fickell sticks around a couple more years, they’ll be making real waves.

Still, the idea that Cincy can’t compete today
is kind of ignorant. We’ve been seeing Boise, UCF and others winning major bowls here and there for years. The American may be quite a bit tougher than people realize.

It is not "competing". Sure Cincinnati can win a major bowl...They are playing in a NY6 bowl and have a chance to beat Georgia....maybe the #4 SEC team. But competing amongst the best national six or so teams? Not yet.

Cincinnatti did beat undefeated Tulsa by three...but Tulsa is not Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State..

Tulsa is favored by 1 1/2 over Mississippi State who were last in their division and have a really bad record of 3-7. Tulsa, for the sake of the G5 needs to win this one.

Reaction Score
Line on unc is dropping fast. They opened at almost a td favorite of a 13 vs 5.
Vegas Odds...

UNC favored over Aggies by 3

Clemson 7 1/2 over Ohio State

Alabama by 20 over Notre Dame

Georgia by 6 1/2 over Cincinnati

Tulsa by 1 1/2 over Mississippi State

Florida by 3 over Oklahoma

Wisconsin by 6 1/2 over Wake Forest

Coastal Carolina by 6 over Liberty

Reaction Score
Are you really suggesting that Cincinnati is a better football team than the seven above them?

Based on merit (strength)...I see Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama as the top three...going away.

Notre Dame was 10-1 with a win and a loss over the #2 team...I don't think that they necessarily belong in the top 4.....Alabama will kill them...Florida would as well...and maybe the Aggies and UNC.
It’s hard to know. Could Cincinnati beat OSU and Notre Dame? Absolutely on a good day. They match up well . Clemson, Alabama or A&M, I have trouble seeing it. They are too slow. But, the number of times a quality G5 has beaten a supposedly overwhelmingly better P5 powerhouse is not small.
Anybody who loves competition wants to see things settled on the field.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to know. Could Cincinnati beat OSU and Notre Dame? Absolutely on a good day. They match up well . Clemson, Alabama or A&M, I have trouble seeing it. They are too slow. But, the number of times a quality G5 has beaten a supposedly overwhelmingly better P5 powerhouse is not small.
Anybody who loves competition wants to see things settled on the field.

I love competition.....that's what the regular season is for.

The playoffs are for the very best teams that year....

In basketball, you see upsets, but that doesn't mean a nine seed or hiigher should have a designated Final Four place for social competition reasons. Basketball's format allows exhibition play early in the tournament. But that is what it is.

It would be interesting since a #9-16 seed has never made the Final.

Reaction Score
Just a thought....

Every National Champion in the last 15 seasons has had two Top Ten recruiting classes on their roster the year they won.

Reaction Score

1) What is your proof they aren't?

2) Under your system, why bother with rankings or games. Simply look at the teams with best composite talent based on class rankings and let them play. Ohio St. And ND have no business in the playoffs, other than this is a business.

Fine, the bottomline is the bottomline. But be honest about it. The committee and selection process is a sham. Cincy and A&M had better arguments in a balanced world. But this would ain't that.

Reaction Score
What proof that they are not (Cincy) ?

Well....Just sneaking by Tulsa and UCF. by 3 points is all the proof I need.. Playing a schedule #81 in SOS...no P5's played.. and squeaking by in the last two games.

Sagarin has Cincinnati as #14...and Sagarin claims that his ratings are a good predictor of future games.

I get the Stockholm Syndrome identification with the G5...Hey, Coastal Carolina is 11-0...put 'em in.
against Alabama...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been saying...a Coastal Carolina vs Cincinnati game in a battle of the G5 undefeateds, would be an interesting match.

Cincinnati would be favored by 10.

Florida isn't in the playoff...they had only close three point losses to Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M....and would be favored over Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been saying...a Coastal Carolina vs Cincinnati game in a battle of the G5 undefeateds, would be an interesting match.

Cincinnati would be favored by 10.

Florida isn't in the playoff...they had only close three point losses to Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M....and would be favored over Cincinnati.
Play the game on a neutral field... I hate that G5 crap where a team gets to play on their home field in a post season game... Neutral site... Cincy's pretty good, but I think it'll be a little closer than the 10 point spread.... Coastal Carolina played those grown men from BYU pretty well.... Showed how physical they can be....

Reaction Score
BYU was funny...their two closest games were to Coastal Carolina and to UT San Antonio....while they walloped Navy 55-3 and beat Houston and Boise by multi touchdowns.

They played Coastal on a short notice in week swing when Liberty cancelled with the Chanticleers....these in the same week changes have been difficult for teams this year.....I give Coastal Carolina credit for playing BYU on short notice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just saw on ESPN site that Dabo Swinney ranked Ohio State number 11 on coaches' poll ballot. He does not like the fact that they played so few games. Should be interesting game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom