Same old Notre Dame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Same old Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ohio State should have their back up...they are 0-4 against the Tigers...and it was only last year that Clemson knocked them out of the finals.

I kind of understand Dabo's sentiment...The Big Ten jumped out early and said they had cancelled the season...The SEC and ACC said "Ok..but we are playing"....then the Big Ten jumps in a little late.

Reaction Score
Cincy plays ND next year in the OOC schedule. That should be an interesting matchup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn's decision to go Indy looks better every day.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Are you really suggesting that Cincinnati is a better football team than the seven above them?

Or are you spouting some "share the wealth" philosophy?

Based on merit (strength)...I see Clemson, Ohio State, and Alabama as the top three...going away.

Notre Dame was 10-1 with a win and a loss over the #2 team...I don't think that they necessarily belong in the top 4.....Alabama will kill them...Florida would as well...and maybe the Aggies and UNC.
No one is saying they are better than the Top 3 but better than the 3 or 4 above them? I'd challenge that notion. We'd never know because none of the P5 played outside of their own conference. So I'm not really buying the idea that Florida, UNC, or A&M would "kill" them, if they played.

Reaction Score
No one is saying they are better than the Top 3 but better than the 3 or 4 above them? I'd challenge that notion. We'd never know because none of the P5 played outside of their own conference. So I'm not really buying the idea that Florida, UNC, or A&M would "kill" them, if they played.

And Cincinnati didn't play anyone...barely squeaked by their last two games....Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida, Texas A&M, Oklahoma would be favored by double digits. I am not buying that a team that beat UCF and Tulsa by 3..could hang in with these teams

Reaction Score
And Cincinnati didn't play anyone...barely squeaked by their last two games....Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida, Texas A&M, Oklahoma would be favored by double digits. I am not buying that a team that beat UCF and Tulsa by 3..could hang in with these teams
Didn't Oklahoma beat Iowa State by only 6 points and a 2-7 Baylor by 13 points in their last two games. Based on the apparent criteria you used to determine that Cincinnati could not hang with the teams ranked in front of them, it appears that Cincinnati may actually be a better team than Oklahoma. Remember Cincinnati was 9-0 and Oklahoma lost 2 games. Still, with the lack of out of conference games this year there is little objective evidence to make an honest determination whether Cincinnati is as good or better than the teams ranked 4 through 7. It is then, more than fair to question the Committee on how they made their determinations. If the Committee determination was based on the very subjective so called "EYE TEST" then I would agree with them on the first 3 teams. After that, I didn't see that much of a difference in the next five teams if you evaluated all the games that they played during this season. The ranking of Cincinnati at 8 may end being right but I strongly disagree with your assertion that the Bobcats can't play with 4 teams ranked just in front of them.

Reaction Score
Didn't Oklahoma beat Iowa State by only 6 points and a 2-7 Baylor by 13 points in their last two games. Based on the apparent criteria you used to determine that Cincinnati could not hang with the teams ranked in front of them, it appears that Cincinnati may actually be a better team than Oklahoma. Remember Cincinnati was 9-0 and Oklahoma lost 2 games. Still, with the lack of out of conference games this year there is little objective evidence to make an honest determination whether Cincinnati is as good or better than the teams ranked 4 through 7. It is then, more than fair to question the Committee on how they made their determinations. If the Committee determination was based on the very subjective so called "EYE TEST" then I would agree with them on the first 3 teams. After that, I didn't see that much of a difference in the next five teams if you evaluated all the games that they played during this season. The ranking of Cincinnati at 8 may end being right but I strongly disagree with your assertion that the Bobcats can't play with 4 teams ranked just in front of them.
Correction, Bearcats not Bobcats.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I hate hearing "Here come the Irish!" in these big games just because they bring in money.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame saved college football this year.
The SEC was going to play no matter what.
No other conference was going to. The ACC would not have played this year.
But when ND agreed to jump in, the ACC schools thought they couldnt pass it up.
That gave them 2 major conferences and then the Big 12 said we cant be left out..
Then some G5.
Finally the Big10 & Pac12 alumni wielded their stick.
Love em or hate em. They saved the 2020 season.

And yes they get blown out come December/January.
But Brian Kelly has 4 undefeated regular seasons. 1 w/ Cincy, 3 w/ND.
It is impressive.
Their recruiting classes have been between 10-15 every year.
Big difference than the top 5.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
The SEC was going to play no matter what.
No other conference was going to. The ACC would not have played this year.
But when ND agreed to jump in, the ACC schools thought they couldnt pass it up.
That gave them 2 major conferences and then the Big 12 said we cant be left out..
Then some G5.
Finally the Big10 & Pac12 alumni wielded their stick.
Love em or hate em. They saved the 2020 season.

And yes they get blown out come December/January.
But Brian Kelly has 4 undefeated regular seasons. 1 w/ Cincy, 3 w/ND.
It is impressive.
Their recruiting classes have been between 10-15 every year.
Big difference than the top 5.
Personally, I could have done without this season. A season where your team's game could be cancelled because of an outbreak on your own team or the opposing team at any point of the season is not worth it. I feel the same way about the college basketball season. The lack of continuity makes it too hard to follow and/or care. I didn't follow any CFB. It didn't help that UConn pulled the plug, but I couldn't care anyway. How anyone can feel that a season where some teams played 5 games and others 8 and some almost a full slate, yet they are all playing in a Top 4 CFB, is not for me.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
And this is where the problem will always lie. We can go back and forth here forever. The bottom line is it's all moot because no one played out of their conference. We all know teams can have tough games within conference. I don't care what conference it is. Cincy never got a chance to play outside of the AAC so we don't know what they would have done against a P5. It didn't happen, it won't happen. We don't know what the other schools above them, minus the Top 4 (who I have never said they should be above), would have done either.

So I think we just need to agree to disagree at this point.

Reaction Score
Sure...we can agree to disagree....of course to me..playing a ten team in-conference schedule in the SEC (arguably the best conference in the country)...is a lot different than playing 10 teams in the AAC or Sunbelt.

But I, like us all, have my bias...raised in the deep south, Alabama fan when young, with family (brother, sister, uncle, cousins, nephews) who are Auburn people...I am an FSU guy since school of course, but I did spend some time on Mississippi State's campus in the late 70's on a coordination project.

As I muse here in North Carolina awaiting a vaccine (and a return to a Florida home that I haven't seen in almost a year), I realize that almost all of my life I have lived within 25 miles of the Alabama or Georgia border.

Our viewpoints are a reflection of our vantage point...peace my friend, and have a very merry Christmas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If CFB was a horror movie character, it would that rotting corpse brought back from the grave moaning, "Why didn't you leave me dead!"

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
If CFB was a horror movie character, it would that rotting corpse brought back from the grave moaning, "Why didn't you leave me dead!"
Sometimes dead is better

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is sort of in a glass case..with a sign that states...
"Break Glass in Case of Viewer Numbers Emergency".

Reaction Score
Personally, I could have done without this season. A season where your team's game could be cancelled because of an outbreak on your own team or the opposing team at any point of the season is not worth it. I feel the same way about the college basketball season. The lack of continuity makes it too hard to follow and/or care. I didn't follow any CFB. It didn't help that UConn pulled the plug, but I couldn't care anyway. How anyone can feel that a season where some teams played 5 games and others 8 and some almost a full slate, yet they are all playing in a Top 4 CFB, is not for me.
I get this but at the same time, some form of entertainment is better than nothing. Better to have this and keep on keeping on than shut it down altogether. Life goes on. I could do without officially granting someone a championship at the end of this crazy shortened season, and certainly a 5 game team doesn't belong.

Reaction Score
God it must suck to be a Notre dame fan. Every time you’re in a big game you just get pantsed in front of the whole country.

getting to be in the big games makes it all worthwhile. I’d rather lose in the National Championship game than win in the Music City Bowl.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
getting to be in the big games makes it all worthwhile. I’d rather lose in the National Championship game than win in the Music City Bowl.
There's a difference between losing and getting your doors blown off though

Reaction Score
And this is where the problem will always lie. We can go back and forth here forever. The bottom line is it's all moot because no one played out of their conference. We all know teams can have tough games within conference. I don't care what conference it is. Cincy never got a chance to play outside of the AAC so we don't know what they would have done against a P5. It didn't happen, it won't happen. We don't know what the other schools above them, minus the Top 4 (who I have never said they should be above), would have done either.

So I think we just need to agree to disagree at this point.

That's why they have to expand the playoff field or the sport is going to be stuck in the mud. It's already becoming stale and sinking, and honestly whether Cincy, Ucf, Boise et. al are better than Nd isn't really the issue. They can also do what Nd does and lose but at least give them a shot. Nobody likes a sport where the underdogs do not even get a shot. It's very simple.

Reaction Score
Cinci-Tulsa was played in the pouring rain. Cold, pouring rain.

Reaction Score
Well.....Cincinnati is favored by 1 1/2 against Georgia....now is the time to do or die against the #4 SEC team.

Reaction Score
Well.....Cincinnati is favored by 1 1/2 against Georgia....now is the time to do or die against the #4 SEC team.
This will probably be the only bowl game I watch. I think it's a good match up for both teams and Cincy can really make a case for next year if they win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom