S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 13 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She would take mega minutes from Feagin and Watkins. Those two committed to SC out of HS. They both were 5 star AA’s. Let them play and develop, that’s my thoughts. Morrow can go elsewhere, wish her the best.

If both Feagin and Watkins get huge minutes this year, as they should and would at most schools, they will produce. I hate when schools try to recruit over 5/star kids who have waited. I already think PaoPao will take away from Fulwiley minutes, and tbh, Fulwiley doesnt need that, she would start for most schools, let her play and develop early, the sooner the better with a talent like that.

I love Dawn, but she holds back young talent too much sometimes being afraid to let them them develop in real time.

I said some times….she needs to let Fulwiley play a bunch this year. You don’t sit a talent like that Or you will lose them in this age. Feagin, Watkins and Fulwiley all start at most schools and show out…you either throw them in and let them play or risk losing them. Forget trying to recruit over them from portal.
I agree with this. Generally speaking I don't mind freshman not starting or not getting that many minutes in a championship program. But I think it's a hard ask for someone to sit for two years and in this day and age getting minutes that 3rd year is not promised if the right player pops into the portal. Not the belabor the point but that's why I don't get why Chloe Kitts didn't just redshirt this year. This year she'll be a sophomore. Will she be in Dawn's top 8 or 9 rotation?

Reaction Score
Question for SC fans about Toby Fournier. She has SC listed as part of her top 8 but I haven't seen much feedback on her from SC fans. Curious as to whether people see her as a fit with Coach Staley's program.
She can rebound and defend. Yes, she fits the system. Shooting could be better but she has a full summer of travel ball and a full season of high school to work on that before she would get here. She has reportedly been offered so apparently Dawn thinks she can fit.

Reaction Score
She would take mega minutes from Feagin and Watkins. Those two committed to SC out of HS. They both were 5 star AA’s. Let them play and develop, that’s my thoughts. Morrow can go elsewhere, wish her the best.

If both Feagin and Watkins get huge minutes this year, as they should and would at most schools, they will produce. I hate when schools try to recruit over 5/star kids who have waited. I already think PaoPao will take away from Fulwiley minutes, and tbh, Fulwiley doesnt need that, she would start for most schools, let her play and develop early, the sooner the better with a talent like that.

I love Dawn, but she holds back young talent too much sometimes being afraid to let them them develop in real time.

I said some times….she needs to let Fulwiley play a bunch this year. You don’t sit a talent like that Or you will lose them in this age. Feagin, Watkins and Fulwiley all start at most schools and show out…you either throw them in and let them play or risk losing them. Forget trying to recruit over them from portal.
Y'all have to trust the process. She would be a perfect fit for our team, which is why Dawn is even entertaining the idea. We're down to only 3 true post players right now and we've just lost 3 in the off-sesason which included 2 starters and Amihere. There will be plenty of minutes to go around for both Ashlyn and Sania even if we added another player.

Odds are if Morrow comes here she will play the 3 and the 4. She knows she has to transition to the 3 at the next level. She'll play some 4 but she's not going to play it for 30 minutes a game. There will be minutes available at both the 4 and the 5 available for Watkins and Feagin.

Dawn is very big on the feedback of players and staff. She's also very open about how minutes are earned and not guaranteed. I think we're jumping the gun on a problem that's not really there.

Reaction Score
She can rebound and defend. Yes, she fits the system. Shooting could be better but she has a full summer of travel ball and a full season of high school to work on that before she would get here. She has reportedly been offered so apparently Dawn thinks she can fit.

Thanks. I find it interesting that there's more chatter about her on the UConn board in comparison. The contrast in fanbase reactions is what prompted the question.

Reaction Score
Y'all have to trust the process. She would be a perfect fit for our team, which is why Dawn is even entertaining the idea. We're down to only 3 true post players right now and we've just lost 3 in the off-sesason which included 2 starters and Amihere. There will be plenty of minutes to go around for both Ashlyn and Sania even if we added another player.

Odds are if Morrow comes here she will play the 3 and the 4. She knows she has to transition to the 3 at the next level. She'll play some 4 but she's not going to play it for 30 minutes a game. There will be minutes available at both the 4 and the 5 available for Watkins and Feagin.

Dawn is very big on the feedback of players and staff. She's also very open about how minutes are earned and not guaranteed. I think we're jumping the gun on a problem that's not really there.
Exactly! Plenty of minutes will be there! We lost some big time pieces with Boston, Amihere and Saxton. Adding Morrow would soften that blow a lot! Morrow told ESPN that she wants to improve her handle, shoot a better percentage from 3 and learn how to play real defense. SC would definitely give her that opportunity. 12 players would be perfect roster management for this team. The 3 freshman might not play a ton but they’ll get their time. I think a rotation of 9 is just what Dawn needs.

Reaction Score
Question for SC fans about Toby Fournier. She has SC listed as part of her top 8 but I haven't seen much feedback on her from SC fans. Curious as to whether people see her as a fit with Coach Staley's program.

I love Toby but I think Joyce Edwards is the primary focus for Carolina fans. There are a lot of great forwards in this class however and I’m sure Dawn wants one of Edwards, Strong, Carlton, or Fournier.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This.

There’s no fire to put out. No point in starting one.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love Toby but I think Joyce Edwards is the primary focus for Carolina fans. There are a lot of great forwards in this class however and I’m sure Dawn wants one of Edwards, Strong, Carlton, or Fournier.
Agreed.

Forward is a position of strength in this particular class. You have to like your options. UConn fans likely feel they have the best shot with Fournier, same as SC fans feel they do with Edwards.

But I like Fournier A LOT, especially after watching her during the Nike Hoops Summit. And Strong is very intriguing as well, she’s so skilled offensively and can knock down jump shots from anywhere.

I don’t know much about Carlton, but If SC gets any of the other three it’ll be a good day.

Reaction Score
I think Paopao puts SC back in the "strong contender" category if SC ever exited it.

I think the expectation is now something like the Regional Final as opposed to the F4 expectation of last season.
I don’t think we ever left.

LSU should be the favorite, and UConn’s right there with them. I’d put us third preseason. Fourth if Iowa’s promised skilled/gym rat/coach on the floor Midwest friendly officials every game.

Reaction Score
I’m ready for Cheese to dunk on someone. It’s bound to happen at some point LOL!

Reaction Score

LSU should be the favorite, and UConn’s right there with them. I’d put us third preseason. Fourth if Iowa’s promised skilled/gym rat/coach on the floor Midwest friendly officials every game.

My only question about Iowa is their post depth. O'Grady was serviceable when they needed her. Stuelke has potential, but I don't see them replacing Czinano's production. Not sure if I see them as a potential Final Four contender just yet.

Reaction Score
My only question about Iowa is their post depth. O'Grady was serviceable when they needed her. Stuelke has potential, but I don't see them replacing Czinano's production. Not sure if I see them as a potential Final Four contender just yet.
Didn't iowa lose both of they starting post players. Warnock and czinano

Reaction Score

3rd seems generous, especially since we are replacing our entire starting lineup. I think we're top 10 and should progress as the season unfolds.

I also agree with everyone else that Iowa post play leaves a lot of question marks. I'm not sure how they are top 5 without solving that first.

Reaction Score

I'm in wait and see mode. I think we have the talent to be a top 5 team but we need them to grow up fast over the summer. A lot of experience and talent just walked out the door. I am confident that CDS will coach them up, but I am not ready to proclaim that we are title contenders.

Reaction Score
I'm in wait and see mode. I think we have the talent to be a top 5 team but we need them to grow up fast over the summer. A lot of experience and talent just walked out the door. I am confident that CDS will coach them up, but I am not ready to proclaim that we are title contenders.
. It may take us a rather large portion of the season to jell, but I feel that (with all our talent) we will be at least a Top 8 team at the end of the regular season and SEC tournament. And LSU just proved that you don't have to be a top 4 seed to win it all. I dont think any team will be happy to see us in their bracket in thhe next tournament.

Reaction Score
Didn't iowa lose both of they starting post players. Warnock and czinano

Warnock wasn't a post player in my opinion. I considered her a guard/wing. Typically, Stuelke would spell Czinano when she came off the court. During the tournament, O'Grady was also relied upon.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was wondering about thia thread... No posts since Friday. Thought for a second that all of the fowl flew north for the spring/summer.

Anyway... If some of yall have free time you might want to check out the pivot podcast. Not sure when it was filmed

Saw an article on Chloe Kitts earlier today. I've been all in. Has gained 13 pounds since being on campus.

Didn't we all :oops:

Reaction Score
She’s going to be special. Hindsight I wish she had redshirted but the experience she gained will pay off next year!
I thought that was what she was going to do when I first heard she was going to enroll early. Never saw the logic in coming in green mid-season, learning on the fly, on a deep, talented team. Made no sense. But she seems fine with her decision, so more power to her. Glad she’s putting on weight - hopefully it’s Binetti 13 and not freshman 13. :eek:
I was wondering about thia thread... No posts since Friday. Thought for a second that all of the fowl flew north for the spring/summer.

Anyway... If some of yall have free time you might want to check out the pivot podcast. Not sure when it was filmed

Didn't we all :oops:

Great interview. She referenced the Iowa loss as being 2 weeks ago, so likely third week or so of April was when the interview was conducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom