S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 15 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This. We got a shooter and another big to complete our rotation. I think SC will roll with 12 since the whole team has the option of coming back next year.
Suits me.

I wouldn't turn down another good shooting guard, but I'm not terrified by having Cooper, Johnson and Fulwiley as the reserve guards too.

Granted, I'm not sure that's a group that is a lock to excel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wanted Sakima whether we got Morrow or not. Sakima’s a more natural fit and I also like she doesn’t disrupt the progress of Feagin and Watkins as well as our wing prospects. I remember the last time USC went after a NJCAA POY big, Evelyn Akhator. She went on to have a tremendous 2 years for UK and got herself drafted in the 1st rd. Hope that happens for Sakima here.

As for the team going forward, we are definitely in a year of transition, but we’ve been pretty good with those. USC lost 5 major contributors after the ‘16 season, including 3 starters, and the team went on to win the NC the following season w/ a frosh at PG. And going into ‘19 season with 6 newcomers, including the 5 Freshies, it was assumed those youngsters would need a year to settle in. Instead Dawn put 3 of them in the starting line up and they went on to have the best season of any program that season and were sitting pretty when COVID ended things.

So I’m looking forward to see what this young team in transition does next year. One constant throughout Dawn’s tenure is her teams always get better as the season goes along. It’s going to be fun to watch these ladies grow, and see where they are by the start of postseason.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Love the Walker fit. Solid C rotation with her and Cardoso. Allows Feagin/Watkins to develop at PF. Gives Kitts room to develop at SF.

I really like the potential of this roster. They’ll take their lumps and grow together but could be dangerously good by postseason.

I loved being #1 for what felt like 3 straight years or so.. but I will enjoy this moment to breathe next season. Not saying SC won’t be good, but I suggest enjoying the target being on others backs for a while at least. I know I will.

Reaction Score
I believe I might rank us second in preseason honestly.

I guess falling out the top 10 is on the table but that would really be a everything works out wrong result.

Reaction Score
I have seen many current Gamecock WBB social media post referencing. “Revenge” If WBB makes the 2024 season about revenge- they are destined for defeat again. Each season is a new journey that omits the previous seasons deeds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seen in slit if social media post. “Revenge” If WBB makes the 2024 season about revenge- they are destined for defeat again. Each season is a new journey that omits the previous seasons deeds.
What do you mean? You don’t think they should have fuel for next year? As a competitor that’s what you want! The media and everyone shitted on them after they lost in the FF you don’t think they want to avenge that and prove everyone wrong??? Those girls knew they should’ve been the ones hoisting that trophy so they want to go and get revenge and I’m 100% with it! If you’ve never played this sport or any others then you simply would understand.

Reaction Score
What the game needs! The world isn’t ready for Lay!

Reaction Score
What the game needs! The world isn’t ready for Lay!

I'm convinced she'll be the next big thing at guard. She plays with that fearlessness that coach likes in her guards and I think she is a perfect fit for Dawn's system. She has the potential to have that Caitlin Clark kind of wow factor. I know it's a lot of pressure to put on a freshman and I don't expect her to perform at that level as a freshman but I do expect to see glimpses of it as she gets adjusted to this level.

Reaction Score
She needs to be pro ready or progressing towards pro ready.( see Alexis Morris post)

Reaction Score
Anybody know in particular what new Asst. Coach Gandy specializes in?

Reaction Score
Anybody know in particular what new Asst. Coach Gandy specializes in?
Reviewing what Duke did last year, I would say he specializes in teaching guards to play tenacious defense.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to put this here bc I want fellow Gamecock opinions. This is trashy to me. I'd be MORTIFIED if anyone on our WBB team did this. I'm sorry. Maybe it's just me. I thought we were trying to ADVANCE women's sports...NOT objectify them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Random question that popped up in my head. When was the last time Clemson de feathered the Chickens in WBB?

Reaction Score
Random question that popped up in my head. When was the last time Clemson de feathered the Chickens in WBB?
Wasn’t exactly a defeathering but last loss to the upstaters was 11/19/09. A 94-92 double OT loss in Littlejohn. USC went 14-15 in Dawn Staley’s second season in Columbia. They also lost in her first season so Dawn is 12-2 versus Clemson at USC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anybody watched Tessa Johnson and Sanya Jah play in the ballislife all star game? Tessa can really shoot and Jah is really athelectic but had too many Eniya Russel Turnover' IMO. The type where you make a move or slick pass and the ball is lost. The LSU signing class was there also Williams, Del Rosario and Vasquez.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced she'll be the next big thing at guard. She plays with that fearlessness that coach likes in her guards and I think she is a perfect fit for Dawn's system. She has the potential to have that Caitlin Clark kind of wow factor. I know it's a lot of pressure to put on a freshman and I don't expect her to perform at that level as a freshman but I do expect to see glimpses of it as she gets adjusted to this level.

The finishing ability will set her apart. No other WBB player at any level can use an array of moves to finish. Her ability to contort and control her body mid air is a thing of beauty. What’s scarier is she can hit those same Caitlin Clark logo 3s too. Idk if Dawn will allow her to do it in the way that Lisa does with Clark but I’m sure she’ll have some type of green light if shes hot.

Reaction Score
Free article updating current goings on with current and former Gamecocks. Also has an updated scholarship chart that includes Te-Hina and Sakima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom