RJ Cole (Transfer) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole (Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He shoots well, both from the FT line and 3. More importantly, he draws a ton of fouls, slightly at the expense of his 2 point finishing, but the 2pt shooting is somewhat to be expected for a guard of his size.

Still, his numbers compare favorably to Gilbert's in essentially every area. FT%, 3pt%, 2pt%, assist rate, turnover rate are all better on impressively high usage. His steal and rebound numbers are eerily similar, but slightly better. He shot 3x more FTs and 1.5x more 3s (keeping in mind he played in 6 more games).

The only question is how well his efficiency will translate to tougher competition and a different playstyle (his team plays very fast pressing style). I'd be pretty ready to give him a shot.
Well to be fair, Gilbert’s stat line is a low bar to set. I know people loved him this year, but he was flat out inefficient when he played. He still has upside but he wasn’t close to Jalen in terms of actual production, and his defensive plus/minus wasn’t good either.

Reaction Score
Well to be fair, Gilbert’s stat line is a low bar to set. I know people loved him this year, but he was flat out inefficient when he played. He still has upside but he wasn’t close to Jalen in terms of actual production, and his defensive plus/minus wasn’t good either.

The dirty secret of the Yard is that Alterique was not very good. Probably and hopefully a lot can be attributed to rust.

Reaction Score

I liked his full court pressure. But str9ng guards ate him off the drive. A years experience helps though

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
D062EDBC-F930-4164-86DE-1666DCFF6712.jpeg

Simple but effective?

Reaction Score
So....clearly we need another play for next year.

People on this board saying Ntambwe would be here already if we had scholarship spot.

Now we need RJ.

I give up. I have no clue how many sports this staff expects to have.

Just going to let it all play out. Speculating has become near impossible

Reaction Score

People on this board saying Ntambwe would be here already if we had scholarship spot.

Now we need RJ.

No inside info here so this is pure speculation. But seems like it's possible that the staff views RJ as a replacement for Gilbert while Ntambwe is a wing. Staff may be more willing to take a ball handler who has to sit since we seem to be in a good spot with a lot of 2020 wings but not recruiting many guards

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No inside info here so this is pure speculation. But seems like it's possible that the staff views RJ as a replacement for Gilbert while Ntambwe is a wing. Staff may be more willing to take a ball handler who has to sit since we seem to be in a good spot with a lot of 2020 wings but not recruiting many guards

I’d prefer Cole + a grad transfer big to Ntambwe and somebody else. Especially if the staff knows or believes that Gilbert will forgo his final year of eligibility. It’s pretty clear that we can’t have two sit one transfers. We’d be down three roster spots.

Reaction Score

Now we need RJ.

They expect to have 2. Every insider has said this. Borges said it. It makes perfect sense. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't see why this is so hard to grasp on the 'yard.

1 immediately eligible big. Valdir Manuel ideally.

1 sit one play 2-3 player. Best player available. Ntambwe and Cole are the two that we seem to be zeroing in on.

Reaction Score
If they have more commits than scholarships for next season, can they pull a Drummond where somebody comes in as a walk on?

Reaction Score
I kno he’s been here for three years but I feel Gilbert’s career at uconn is just getting started. He was shaking the rust off this year. Why are people saying he might be leaving after this year? Because he’s older? Where’s he going? Europe? The workforce? Nba? Why wud he leave?

Reaction Score
I kno he’s been here for three years but I feel Gilbert’s career at uconn is just getting started. He was shaking the rust off this year. Why are people saying he might be leaving after this year? Because he’s older? Where’s he going? Europe? The workforce? Nba? Why wud he leave?
I mean no matter what CV will be fine next year. Not sure why AGs future needs to come into question when evaluating whether or not to bring on Cole.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

He's graduating after this upcoming season, that's why. He can start getting paid to play basketball, and for a guy that's 5'9 and likely not getting drafted that should probably be the goal.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This has to mean they expect to have multiple scholarships no way we can go into next year with the front court we have now.

Reaction Score
He's graduating after this upcoming season, that's why. He can start getting paid to play basketball, and for a guy that's 5'9 and likely not getting drafted that should probably be the goal.

It is sound thinking--for a player without any injury issues. If it were me, I'd want to spend 2 injury-free years in the NCAA before heading out to the pros. 3 injury-filled years plus a healthy one (knock on wood) isn't a great track record.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
True, the commitments will flow in - just wait and see. But, first things first. That’s what some well intended fans don’t understand.
Guys, you wait and see. My scoop tells me we're going to get some more players for our open scholarship spots sometime before the season starts. I wouldn't expect the casual fan to understand this. This is all I can say as my gag order isn't lifted until someone commits and I can say "see, that's who I meant." You guys should consider me an insider now.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, recruiting is always a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Everybody is playing their cards close to the vest. Hurley and staff have no doubt assessed the situation and are working to provide the best possible team for the coming years. They are privy to conversations and body language of the recruit, parents, coaches, and others involved. Why should DH & Staff show their cards? Wouldn't be smart! Trust the process.

Reaction Score
True, the commitments will flow in - just wait and see. But, first things first. That’s what some well intended fans don’t understand.

I'm not so sure what some of these posters think here Chief. I get they have one open for sure, they are working on at least one other pointing at chronic injury as a reason, hopefully maybe even another. These would be first things first requirements in order to get the other(s). Sounds accurate to me.

I know everyone is all in on RJ and I certainly see how that would really improve the overall backcourt. But for me Ntambwe (proven wing who can rebound and knows the game) and yet another big who can play immediately would be preferred. Won't argue with either though let the dam break will ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom