RJ Cole (Transfer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole (Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's like beating a dead horse at this point, but we need talent regardless of position. Not sure why this is so hard to understand
IF needing and getting a BIG is beating a dead horse then I say keep beating
Talent is great but being heavily guard talented and relying on marginal BIGS is not a great recipe to returning to a respectable level

Reaction Score
What's like beating a dead horse? If we have only 1 schollie and we give it to a guard who can't even play next year? That's easy to understand it would be dumb.
We don't have 1 scholarship, we have 2. But I meant that there's about 15 threads with the same discussion right now

Reaction Score
IF needing and getting a BIG is beating a dead horse then I say keep beating
Talent is great but being heavily guard talented and relying on marginal BIGS is not a great recipe to returning to a respectable level
We just watched a great championship game between UVA and Texas Tech playing the same kind of 4 out, great athletic wings that Hurley wants. I'm pretty confident it'll work out just fine.

Not saying we want to rely on marginal bigs, but I'm more than comfortable with Carlton and Whaley next year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We don't have 1 scholarship, we have 2. But I meant that there's about 15 threads with the same discussion right now

We have one. We might get another. But we have one. A ship is being held for Precious, so until he decides or rules us out, we have zero.

Reaction Score
We have one. We might get another. But we have one. A ship is being held for Precious, so until he decides or rules us out, we have zero.
Then we're recruiting for 2, you get the point

Reaction Score
We just watched a great championship game between UVA and Texas Tech playing the same kind of 4 out, great athletic wings that Hurley wants. I'm pretty confident it'll work out just fine.

Not saying we want to rely on marginal bigs, but I'm more than comfortable with Carlton and Whaley next year

I get what you're saying but let me know when we have a "great athletic wing" (never mind wingS) on our roster. We need a Ntambwe much more than we need a guard. Then we head in the right direction to fill the roster for at least 20-21 if not sooner.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying but let me know when we have a "great athletic wing" (never mind wingS) on our roster. We need a Ntambwe much more than we need a guard. Then we head in the right direction to fill the roster for at least 20-21 if not sooner.
He's basically who I was describing when writing that, would love to have him here. I also think Sid looks a lot better when we're not so relient on him to score, where he clearly struggled. Defensively he showed enough bright spots for me

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Well Akok is not that dissimilar from Ntambwe. Nor is Precious. There is no way we take Ntambwe if we land Precious. I think that's why we have not offered even though he visited. Polley isn't a stud or anything, but is also a player at the same size, who does some of the same things as Ntambwe. I'm not even counting Sid, who is smaller.

Priority 1 for me is an actual Center who can play next year. Beyond that it's best talent available. Which at the moment is Precious until it's not.

Reaction Score
Well Akok is not that dissimilar from Ntambwe. Nor is Precious. There is no way we take Ntambwe if we land Precious. I think that's why we have not offered even though he visited. Polley isn't a stud or anything, but is also a player at the same size, who does some of the same things as Ntambwe. I'm not even counting Sid, who is smaller.

Priority 1 for me is an actual Center who can play next year. Beyond that it's best talent available. Which at the moment is Precious until it's not.

I hear ya but I'm not depending on Precious and while I like Polley he is a perfect back up because he can shoot. Ntambwe can rebound, handle and pass 3 things Tyler has not done thus far. And Sid, I admit not sure about what he will end up being more scared than positive at this point. Love the athleticism hard to match it but the on courts smarts look to be coming up short. Long way to go we will see. Agree on a 4/5 big body to help with Carlton will be disappointed if we don't get one but if not you could see a lot of Akok, Polley and Carlton at the same time line ups which will scare me on D. Guessing they expected one guy to want to ship out and play elsewhere but he decided he liked being a husky no matter what is dealt to him and the other with a chronic injury how can you keep him whole without the hoops scholly? Losing time without knowing for sure and leaving doors opened for others.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I hear ya but I'm not depending on Precious and while I like Polley he is a perfect back up because he can shoot. Ntambwe can rebound, handle and pass 3 things Tyler has not done thus far. And Sid, I admit not sure about what he will end up being more scared than positive at this point. Love the athleticism hard to match it but the on courts smarts look to be coming up short. Long way to go we will see. Agree on a 4/5 big body to help with Carlton will be disappointed if we don't get one but if not you could see a lot of Akok, Polley and Carlton at the same time line ups which will scare me on D. Guessing they expected one guy to want to ship out and play elsewhere but he decided he liked being a husky no matter what is dealt to him and the other with a chronic injury how can you keep him whole without the hoops scholly? Losing time without knowing for sure and leaving doors opened for others.

It's looking more like Precious is becoming a pipe dream. Holding a schollie open for him until he decides may cause us to lose out on the next best available option.

Reaction Score
We are overloaded with guards. Would like to see a big get the scholarship.

I keep on hearing this... Our guard collection is a guy who has played 34 total games in three years and has is a walking injury. Two freshmen who are extremely promising, but still have never played a D1 minute. Adams, who seems like he could be a quality 2nd or 3rd guard off the bench, and a graduating CV. Am I missing something w/ our great depth in the backcourt?

Reaction Score
I keep on hearing this... Our guard collection is a guy who has played 34 total games in three years and has is a walking injury. Two freshmen who are extremely promising, but still have never played a D1 minute. Adams, who seems like he could be a quality 2nd or 3rd guard off the bench, and a graduating CV. Am I missing something w/ our great depth in the backcourt?

No, you summed it up. 5 D1-quality guards for this season.

Now do centers. I'm counting 1 player above 215 lbs on the roster for next season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, you summed it up. 5 D1-quality guards for this season.

Now do centers. I'm counting 1 player above 215 lbs on the roster for next season.

And last year we had Cobb (and briefly Yawke) plus Carton, and still got physically abused almost every game.

Reaction Score
How are these schools reaching out during a hard dead period? Do transfers not count as recruits?
Dead period just means no in person contact. They can still reach out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro