RJ Cole (Transfer) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole (Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t get the gloom and doom. Isn’t it entirely possible that it is slightly hard to recruit a transfer sophomore point guard, when you have (a) a highly rated incoming freshman PG that will be a sophomore once he’s eligible and (b) a 5* PG who will have his final year of eligibility that same season. If I’m Cole and want to start for a winning team I would avoid that scenario. He’d have to be 100% certain Gilbert won’t stay and then he’s still got to beat out Gaffney.

Gaffney has been described as anything but a point guard on these pages for months.

He's been described rather as a scoring guard, not one that runs the offense.

Isn't he an off guard?

It seems to me this team has a huge huge need for guards. If Gilbert leaves, we have no true point guard, and we need 2 at least.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has been described as anything but a point guard on these pages for months.

Isn't he an off guard?

It seems to me this team has a huge huge need for guards. If Gilbert leaves, we have no true point guard, and we need 2 at least.
The fact that ppl still say we don't need gaurd depth after the last 2 seasons where injuries forced Vital to run point for stretches of games is beyond me

Reaction Score
It’s possible the staff has at least a sense of what Alterique will do after this year. At the same time, if Boulnight is going to spend some time at the 3, then there is plenty of time available for Gilbert, Cole, and Gaffney In 20-21.

Reaction Score
The fact that ppl still say we don't need gaurd depth after the last 2 seasons where injuries forced Vital to run point for stretches of games is beyond me
It's like the majority of this board never watches any basketball games other than UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Isn't he an off guard?

He’s a point guard. A scoring point, yes, like Kemba and Baz and Jalen. He plays PG now and averages over 5 assists a game I believe. He’s not coming here to be an off guard. I don’t know why people keep saying that.

And while I agree we need another guard in 2020, it’s a much easier sell for a freshman than a transfer who will be a junior. Not saying Cole wouldn’t be a nice addition. Just that I can see why he wouldn’t come here, even if he likes Hurley and UConn.

Reaction Score
He’s a point guard. A scoring point, yes, like Kemba and Baz and Jalen. He plays PG now and averages over 5 assists a game I believe. He’s not coming here to be an off guard. I don’t know why people keep saying that.

And while I agree we need another guard in 2020, it’s a much easier sell for a freshman than a transfer who will be a junior. Not saying Cole wouldn’t be a nice addition. Just that I can see why he wouldn’t come here, even if he likes Hurley and UConn.

This is a reasonable point of view. From our perspective, if we think Alterique will leave when he graduates, Cole would be a huge pickup. If Gilbert plays for two more seasons, then I have no problem bringing in a freshman guard for 20-21 who can come off the bench and ease into a role.

Reaction Score
Well to be fair, Gilbert’s stat line is a low bar to set. I know people loved him this year, but he was flat out inefficient when he played. He still has upside but he wasn’t close to Jalen in terms of actual production, and his defensive plus/minus wasn’t good either.
Living in Georgia I’ve followed AG’s career closely. In high school and all star circuit he was dynamic and he owned the court. He hasn’t shown any of that in these injury plagued years at UCONN.
Two things are different now. One is the injuries and two is the caliber of players that he played with. I still have hopes that he will regain what made him a McDonald’s All American. But the reality is that’s not going to happen. I think Hurley is surely aware of this and is recruiting accordingly. Hope I’m wrong!

Reaction Score
The kid is a guard and wants to play
UConn needs bigs and a decent one can get lots of play right away
he couldn't play next year. if we had 2 scholarships open I would take him and a big. If only 1 is available take a big

pj

Reaction Score
The reality is that with our tight scholarship situation, down one self-imposed and down several more due to injury/low talent players hanging around, we can't afford a transfer who has to sit a year. Sit one play two already has to be discounted 33% in value relative to an eligible player when scholarships are tight, but the alignment of his sitting with our penalty makes the discount even greater in his case. At least one player has to leave to make this work.

Reaction Score
A sit one transfer PG? I really hope we don’t burn a scholarship on that. That self imposed missing scholarship is proving to be a real pain.
Why does he have to sit a year? I thought if a coach leaves, which is the case with Howard, a player can leave and play right away.

Reaction Score
Why does he have to sit a year? I thought if a coach leaves, which is the case with Howard, a player can leave and play right away.

Nope. Sit 1 play 2. Unless you're a grad transfer like Oriakhi was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Didn’t Roscoe have to sit a year?

Reaction Score
Rothstein originally called him a grad transfer then changed it to transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom