RJ Cole (Transfer) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole (Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We have a scholarship squeeze (need to fill two or three positions with one open slot) and a roster balancing challenge (could use a guard for depth and a perhaps two big men), surely these two factors are inhibiting what would otherwise be an easier process for Hurley and Co. I think this is a tough off season to make any judgement calls about Hurley's ability to close on targets.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
yes, but hurley's NJ connections were highly touted when he was hired, so if he can't close here then those NJ connections probably aren't as strong as once thought

Having strong connections doesn't mean you can land anybody at will. The kids aren't game pieces to be won mano a mano.

And again, we've no idea what or whom Hurley and company are prioritizing right now.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
UConn losing top NY/NJ targets to the likes of Bama and Memphis should not happen. Head bang
Let's not forget that both Memphis and Alabama are legit. Nate Oats is a very good coach who's new hire brings a lot of momentum to Alabama.

Memphis are a historically good basketball school and have a top 5 recruiting class.

It's frustrating for us, but the tide is turning. When the wins roll in with Hurley, the fruits will follow.

Reaction Score
Caveat to that is I would get used to SEC schools coming hard for top recruits these days. They've upped their game in terms of coaching, facilities, and financial commitments. They are clearly looking to be players in MCBB.
So are we and this is a guy Hurley should be able to land for all the obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
We have a scholarship squeeze (need to fill two or three positions with one open slot) and a roster balancing challenge (could use a guard for depth and a perhaps two big men), surely these two factors are inhibiting what would otherwise be an easier process for Hurley and Co. I think this is a tough off season to make any judgement calls about Hurley's ability to close on targets.

Agree the "balancing challenge" would seem to be very tough from our vantage point. He knows he needs a big or swing, can use an experienced PG like this but doesn't know if he has 2 for sure to use so is the year without playing a need? Nothing easy for him and the staff right now as we speak.

Reaction Score
I think we got James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney along with top recruit Akok Akok. Where are all these crybabies coming from??
Missing on Wahab, Kofi and spending time on Tre Mitchell...we clearly need a 5. Love the start but shocked considering the improvement and positive press we haven’t landed a 5 and “seem” to be struggling with Ntambwe and Cole (hopefully premature).

I do have a connections a guy who knows the staff and he really doesn’t think highly of them. I try to balance him out, i think gaffney is gonna be a star.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Imagine losing a mid major guard to Alabama spelling doom for our NJ recruiting. Couldn't be me.

Reaction Score
Imagine losing a mid major guard to Alabama spelling doom for our NJ recruiting. Couldn't be me.
Totally. Nothing to see here. Having guys who can't play refuse to leave and having guys who can play with ties refuse to come is the recipe for success. As it stands now, we have atleast 1 open scholarship that we seem to can't give a way. Oh, but you are still probably holding out hope for Precious.

Reaction Score
Totally. Nothing to see here. Having guys who can't play refuse to leave and having guys who can play with ties refuse to come is the recipe for success. As it stands now, we have atleast 1 open scholarship that we seem to can't give a way. Oh, but you are still probably holding out hope for Precious.

“Can’t seem to give away” is just flat out wrong. If they just wanted to fill it, it would be done already. It’s a valuable spot, and they have options.

Reaction Score
I'm usually with you but nobody we've pursued this spring has committed anywhere, calm down

Reaction Score
I'm usually with you but nobody we've pursued this spring has committed anywhere, calm down
I admit that I am overreacting but everyone has a tipping point and this just doesn't feel good or right.

Reaction Score
A rational person would stop there. Kudos for continuing anyway.
I am just a product of being a UConn mens basketball and football fan. Being rational is too painful and depressing, so I choose to over react.

Reaction Score
yes, but hurley's NJ connections were highly touted when he was hired, so if he can't close here then those NJ connections probably aren't as strong as once thought
Yes, let's judge Hurley's relationships off the recruitment of one single transfer. One who coincidentally left NJ for college.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The kid is a guard and wants to play
UConn needs bigs and a decent one can get lots of play right away

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The kid is a guard and wants to play
UConn needs bigs and a decent one can get lots of play right away

Yeah I don’t get the gloom and doom. Isn’t it entirely possible that it is slightly hard to recruit a transfer sophomore point guard, when you have (a) a highly rated incoming freshman PG that will be a sophomore once he’s eligible and (b) a 5* PG who will have his final year of eligibility that same season. If I’m Cole and want to start for a winning team I would avoid that scenario. He’d have to be 100% certain Gilbert won’t stay and then he’s still got to beat out Gaffney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom