Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

Reaction Score
The only weakness you see is point guard. Uhh, Gilbert is our best player.
Gilbert may be our best player but he has to prove he can stay on the court otherwise we have Brendan Adams or a freshman. I'd say the concern is legitimate.

Reaction Score
Gilbert may be our best player but he has to prove he can stay on the court otherwise we have Brendan Adams or a freshman. I'd say the concern is legitimate.
If AG goes down, I would think that CV would handle the PG duties in close games since he knows the system and the speed of the college game. Brendan Adams would have to make a huge leap to run the offense with a steady hand.

Reaction Score
If AG goes down, I would think that CV would handle the PG duties in close games since he knows the system and the speed of the college game. Brendan Adams would have to make a huge leap to run the offense with a steady hand.
Watching CV in transition gives me a headache. I’ll pass on allowing him to assume PG duties, unless Gaffney also had both arms amputated in this scenario.

Reaction Score
Well you heard wrong. He's played PG on every team he's been on. At least in the last two years.

Forcefully said, but still wrong. He wasn’t even the PG on his high school team at Westown. He’s a 6’2” combo guard that wanted to be known as a PG as well for recruiting purposes. He has all kinds of skill and scoring ability but he doesn’t exhibit the natural point guard instincts of a kid ready to fill in if AG goes down. Great player and should turn into a fantastic starting PG but I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed the AG is healthy because I don’t think we can do much without him.

Reaction Score

Won’t be Brendan Adams ever nothing close to a PG. He’s the least likely to assume duties there had a rough handle last year. It will be interesting to see how he improves because he certainly seems to be a real damn hard worker. Was supposed to be a good shooter will need to see improvement there as well as quickness on both ends. Seems to be real tough and a kid you cant help to root for hope he comes back improved!

Reaction Score
Forcefully said, but still wrong. He wasn’t even the PG on his high school team at Westown. He’s a 6’2” combo guard that wanted to be known as a PG as well for recruiting purposes. He has all kinds of skill and scoring ability but he doesn’t exhibit the natural point guard instincts of a kid ready to fill in if AG goes down. Great player and should turn into a fantastic starting PG but I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed the AG is healthy because I don’t think we can do much without him.

I watched three full Westtown games this season. He was the point guard almost the entire game. The only time he played off ball was against Albany city rocks because he played the entire game and needed a rest.

I also watched maybe 2 of his aau game. I don't remember those as well, but I remember @UConnStats pointing out that he was the best passer of our PG recruits.

Totally, totally, totally off base here guy. Seems to me like you're reading the yard and not actually watching the kid play basketball.

Reaction Score
I watched three full Westtown games this season. He was the point guard almost the entire game. The only time he played off ball was against Albany city rocks because he played the entire game and needed a rest.

I also watched maybe 2 of his aau game. I don't remember those as well, but I remember @UConnStats pointing out that he was the best passer of our PG recruits.

Totally, totally, totally off base here guy. Seems to me like you're reading the yard and not actually watching the kid play basketball.
Gaffney was among assist leaders in UAA and Top 100 camp.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a great player and scorer. I’d like to see him play point guard at this level before assuming we are fine if AG gets injured. He is a Jalen Adams type, but I didn’t want to rely on freshman Jalen as the starting PG either. This is a much different level. This is not a knock on Gaffney.

“He’s not the point guard - Westtown School needs him to score - but Gaffney asserts his generalship each moment on the floor.”

“The 6-foot-3 guard played mostly off the ball for Westtown since he’s the team’s best shooter. He’ll be a combo guard next season at UConn, with Alterique Gilbert still in tow, but could very well be the Huskies’ starting point guard as a sophomore.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaffney is a great player and scorer. I’d like to see him play point guard at this level before assuming we are fine if AG gets injured. He is a Jalen Adams type, but I didn’t want to rely on freshman Jalen as the starting PG either. This is a much different level. This is not a knock on Gaffney.

“He’s not the point guard - Westtown School needs him to score - but Gaffney asserts his generalship each moment on the floor.”

“The 6-foot-3 guard played mostly off the ball for Westtown since he’s the team’s best shooter. He’ll be a combo guard next season at UConn, with Alterique Gilbert still in tow, but could very well be the Huskies’ starting point guard as a sophomore.”

This is much more accurate. The Jalen comp is good.. not in terms of skillset, ust role.

He is a PG but not a good enough one to lead our team yet is fair. And I agree. I think of our 3 freshman he's probably the least likely to play 20+ mins a game. I would be a lot more confident in our team if RJ was backing up Rique and gaffney could play a 1/2 combo role until his skill set develops more.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This board has serious ADD

We are talking about a recruit and it turns into Gaffney play. I think he will excel, but shouldn't he have his own thread?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
4 yrs with competent coaching, nutrition and strength will turn him into someone who has killed us for 20-12 style-games in recent history
Why us?

Reaction Score

RJ Cole will be the starting PG. Besides, how many true PG's are there today? On the AAU circuit most don't want to be just the distributor. They want to market themselves in other areas of the game. Mainly that they can shoot from deep efficiently and attack the hoop. People are beating a dead horse.
I for one think Jalen would do an adequate job at the point. Now let's talk about Springer!

Reaction Score
Springs or no springs, this is going to be a weird season. This team is going to be an odd couple like mix of Hurley guys and Ollie guys. I see a lot of ups and downs. I believe Hurley has his sights set on the future and will just try to make the most of this coming season. For me, I just want to see a step in the right direction. Then, when we get back to the BE, I am hoping to see us back to being nationally relevant.

Reaction Score
Springs or no springs, this is going to be a weird season. This team is going to be an odd couple like mix of Hurley guys and Ollie guys. I see a lot of ups and downs. I believe Hurley has his sights set on the future and will just try to make the most of this coming season. For me, I just want to see a step in the right direction. Then, when we get back to the BE, I am hoping to see us back to being nationally relevant.

I think this year is the turning of the page. Last year was the “weird” year. Nothing but respect for Jalen but I don’t think he naturally fit into Hurley’s system but was the anchor of the team for 75% of the season due to injury. This year we have much more depth and more knowledge in Hurley’s system. Also, may seem weird because for the first time in a while we aren’t relying on a bunch of transfers and grad students to learn quick and provide leadership. Hurley emphasizes our leader right now is Gilbert so let’s pray to god he remains healthy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The backup is almost always a freshman or someone who isn't good. I can't think of a time when we had a veteran PG, another good veteran PG and another freshman PG. Gaffney is perfectly fine as a backup PG.

If Akok goes down we make due with Polley. If Carlton goes down, Whaley? SF is Sid, Adams and Bouk, a freshman. SG is CV Bouk and maybe Gaffney. Basketball teams don't go 2-3 deep with quality at every spot. No UConn team ever has been either.

Reaction Score
IF AG returns would he and RJ start together? Like he and Jalen Adams?

cole is only 6'1 but then again vital is only 6'2...it's not ideal to start either alongside 6'0 gilbert yet here we are.

unless we land cam thomas, i'm guessing cole takes vital's place in the lineup with bouk as the nominal SF.

in terms of size that wouldnt be much different than this years lineup of gilbert, vital, and bouk. or last years lineup of gilbert, vital, and jalen.

Reaction Score
We don't know the lineup for this season

c'mon are you suggesting wilson or adams might actually start over bouknight? those are the only options at SF since polley has already proven he can only play stretch 4

sure it's silly to project the 20-21 team but its the end of july and there's nothing else sports related going on

Last edited:
Reaction Score
c'mon are you suggesting wilson or adams might actually start over bouknight? yikes. those are the only options at SF since polley has already proven he can only play as a soft stretch 4
What? How did you get that from my post? Bouknight is probably our most talented player.

Reaction Score

I disagree. This is a talented team (for the AAC) and guys are really working hard to get better. These are all Hurley guys. If they weren't they would have left. And a good coach should be able to get the best out of guys originally recruited by a different guy. As long as we aren't devastated by injuries we should make the NCAA tournament. I think making the NIT would be the worst case scenario. The last few years we have been depressed as a fan base but its time to start having higher expectations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom