Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

Reaction Score
6'8, 6'9 200-220 lbs, plays the 4, not the 3, not the 5. Solid, pretty versatile power forward. Rivals and 247 both have him ranked low 130's. Playing for Brewster Academy which as we know is high level serious basketball. Ranked 23 best power forward, 2nd in the state of New York. Brooklyn kid, great friends with Bouknight and a teammate of his at MacDuffie. Has good mobility and athleticism, rebounds well and is willing to mix it up. Receives and shoots in the lane and down in the post, can drive from the wing, can shoot from outside. Seems to handle the ball pretty well for his size, sees the floor as a teammate, good IQ, from all reports for quite some time, really wants to come to UConn. We do need to bolster our frontcourt, if not a center, someone who will play the 4.

From what we are hearing this is probably our guy, the last schollie for 2019. Crystal ball 100%%% to UConn. Hurley and staff must like what they see, a different player than what we have currently at the 4, more rugged, more of an interior player. Wait til Sal gets ahold of him and adds strength and muscle. Certainly more of a 4 year player, and we have seen already that this staff develops players. They must feel that he is a good fit.

There are some highlights from this summer if someone could please post them. Thanks.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Look phenomenal on circuit. Glue, buy-in guy who does the little things well, great to have on the team. Only concern is that we are loaded at that stretch 4 spot(Akok, Polley, Wilson). I wonder if they are planning on having akok play much more center than we are aware of.

Reaction Score
Look phenomenal on circuit. Glue, buy-in guy who does the little things well, great to have on the team. Only concern is that we are loaded at that stretch 4 spot(Akok, Polley, Wilson). I wonder if they are planning on having akok play much more center than we are aware of.
That's not exactly loaded. Polley hasn't shown he can do more than hit threes, Sid hasn't shown he can do more than dunk and get some weakside blocks, and we haven't seen Akok play for us yet.

Reaction Score
We do not have a player like this on the current roster. He's a "do the dirty work" type of player. Think Jeff Adrien by the time he's a junior and starts to fill out. And agreed he will be a four year guy. Maybe not huge contributions from him this year but a huge plus moving forward. Better to get him in the system now.

Reaction Score
Watched the first two videos.
Upside: More athletic and better ball handler than I was expecting to see. Downside: Doesn’t take the ball strong to the basket.

Reaction Score
I'd take him right now, no he's not a stud, but he's another solid 4 star guy who played at MacDuffie. Not a bad northeast school to keep a pipeline with

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's not exactly loaded. Polley hasn't shown he can do more than hit threes, Sid hasn't shown he can do more than dunk and get some weakside blocks, and we haven't seen Akok play for us yet.
But have you factored in the learning curve?

Reaction Score
I think we'd likely land him for 2020 anyway so why not take him in for 2019 and get working on his development a year early (assuming he wants to and is academically eligible)? That would give us some extra depth in the front court and would also allow to put extra effort into Jackson, Thomas, and Omoruyi.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Given that several posters with good connections indicated it was Manuel or bank the scholarship I’m hoping the staff saw something special from Springs at the Peach Jam tournament to reconsider should Springs reclassify and be UConn bound 2019.

@Son of Robert were you quoting some service in your original post or were those your observations?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Whatever
FWIW I got your drift. Best to let it be water under the bridge. Or as we are fond of saying recruiting is fluid and most likely a tad salty.

Reaction Score
Given that several posters with good connections indicated it was Manuel or bank the scholarship I’m hoping the staff saw something special from Springs at the Peach Jam tournament to reconsider should Springs reclassify and be UConn bound 2019.

@Son of Robert were you quoting some service in your original post or were those your observations?
Dude, I'm just out here paying attention, to different various sources the same as anybody.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Dude, I'm just out here paying attention,. to different various sources the same as anybody.
In another thread someone was complaining about UConn’s marketing of it’s merchandise. You might want to help the university out.

I’ve had reservations about Springs but after reading your op I felt we might get rid of our BC demons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom