Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

Reaction Score
I have always been iffy on Springs. Mostly the lack of any shooting and his athleticism. Gotta trust the staff if they feel they can turn him into a player. Seems to me he will be the 3rd option at C for us next year after Carlton and Whaley, or the 4 after Polley/Akok.

His athleticism--especially strength--will be a hindrance at the d1 level. He is much like Carlton coming in athletically. He isn't a high flyer or strong at all. Even his athletic-looking plays are timing more than anything.

He has 0 back to the basket game. His points come off of putbacks and 15-18 ft drives.

He has a GREAT eye for the ball and seems to finish anywhere under the basket if he can gather.

Different look at the 4 if we need more of a traditional 4. And will be a good backup after Carlton/Whaley at the 5.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he's about the same size (maybe bigger in fact) with the same nose for the ball as a famous alum of the Southeastern Oklahoma State Savages (now the Savage Storm).

6'7", 220 pounds in his prime, not a lot of offensive skill, but made the Hall of Fame.

Finished his basketball career with the 2006 Brighton Bears after previous stints in Detroit, San Antonio, Chicago, LA, Dallas and several other lesser lights in his declining years before serving as an impromptu ambassador to North Korea where he was outrebounded 108 to 5 by the Supreme Leader in a pickup game.

If Springs can be that much of a rebounder number 5 may not be the only number in his time at UConn............and not because he's taking Whaley's number.:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4 yrs with competent coaching, nutrition and strength will turn him into someone who has killed us for 20-12 style-games in recent history

pj

Reaction Score
Sounds like he's about the same size (maybe bigger in fact) with the same nose for the ball as a famous alum of the Southeastern Oklahoma State Savages (now the Savage Storm).

6'7", 220 pounds in his prime, not a lot of offensive skill, but made the Hall of Fame.

Finished his basketball career with the 2006 Brighton Bears after previous stints in Detroit, San Antonio, Chicago, LA, Dallas and several other lesser lights in his declining years before serving as an impromptu ambassador to North Korea where he was outrebounded 108 to 5 by the Supreme Leader in a pickup game.

If Springs can be that much of a rebounder number 5 may not be the only number in his time at UConn..and not because he's taking Whaley's number.:D

Dennis Rodman was no Richie Springs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about him except what I read here, and that is all over the map. At first I thought he wasn't a leaper, but was strong and physical. Then somebody says he's not even strong. It seems clear he's not an outside shooter.

I am not sure Hurley has earned "In Bill we trust" level of trust yet, but if he and the staff want him enough to use that scholarship, ok.

Reaction Score
I have always been iffy on Springs. Mostly the lack of any shooting and his athleticism. Gotta trust the staff if they feel they can turn him into a player. Seems to me he will be the 3rd option at C for us next year after Carlton and Whaley, or the 4 after Polley/Akok.

His athleticism--especially strength--will be a hindrance at the d1 level. He is much like Carlton coming in athletically. He isn't a high flyer or strong at all. Even his athletic-looking plays are timing more than anything.

He has 0 back to the basket game. His points come off of putbacks and 15-18 ft drives.

He has a GREAT eye for the ball and seems to finish anywhere under the basket if he can gather.

Different look at the 4 if we need more of a traditional 4. And will be a good backup after Carlton/Whaley at the 5.

This is spot on. I’m not sure why everyone is exclaiming he is a great rebounder. I think he averaged under five rebounds a game. He doesn’t really have a great motor either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about him except what I read here, and that is all over the map. At first I thought he wasn't a leaper, but was strong and physical. Then somebody says he's not even strong. It seems clear he's not an outside shooter.

I am not sure Hurley has earned "In Bill we trust" level of trust yet, but if he and the staff want him enough to use that scholarship, ok.
Every unknown recruit is a tabula rasa upon which 'yarders project based upon their natures. Optimists see them as everything we need or ever wanted and pessimists see them as a wasted scholly. That said, there is a certain Rakim Lubin like feel to the narrative being generated.

Personally, I see him as a little bigger body which, minimally, will help in practice and hopefully will let us be more established in the paint. I see him as a 4 year player and I am on counting on him for a lot of minutes this year. The time is there though, if he earns it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Springs is more than qualified to be our 9th man this year- Top 150 with offers from: Creighton, PC, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt, Seton Hall, SJU, and Wake, among others

at the very least the presence of springs ensures wilson never plays another minute at the 4 spot. never thought i'd see a softer 4 than polley until i saw wilson.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Springs is more than qualified to be our 9th man this year- Top 150 with offers from: Creighton, PC, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt, Seton Hall, SJU, and Wake, among others

at the very least the presence of springs ensures wilson never plays another minute at the 4 spot. never thought i'd see a softer 4 than polley until i saw wilson.

That's because Wilson is a pure wing, and only a crazy person would even try to play him at the 4. He's a small forward and that's the only position he should ever play. I think Akok and Polley, plus Whaley, already ensure Wilson never plays PF again.

Same was true of Larrier, and yet our former coach played him at the 4.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's because Wilson is a pure wing, and only a crazy person would even try to play him at the 4. He's a small forward and that's the only position he should ever play. I think Akok and Polley, plus Whaley, already ensure Wilson never plays PF again.

Same was true of Larrier, and yet our former coach played him at the 4.
Sid is the returning player I'm most curious about. So much athleticism, yet he looked lost many times on the court. Understandable given that he joined the team mid-season. But unless Hurley is sandbagging, it doesn't sound that he's making great strides right now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson and Tyler Polley averaged a combined 5 rebounds a game last season in just over 35 minutes per game.

I don't think we need to worry about being too stacked with bigs who can rebound - if that offer list above is accurate, it seems a lot of other coaches think he can play high major hoops.

With all our injuries in recent years, I have no problem getting a local, top 150 kid, who has a nose for the ball under the boards.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson and Tyler Polley averaged a combined 5 rebounds a game last season in just over 35 minutes per game.

I don't think we need to worry about being too stacked with bigs who can rebound - if that offer list above is accurate, it seems a lot of other coaches think he can play high major hoops.

With all our injuries in recent years, I have no problem getting a local, top 150 kid, who has a nose for the ball under the boards.
A player who several posters consider is behind Whaley taking up a scholarship for four years is a big risk to take in order to have an insurance policy. I’m not saying coach Hurley should not take the kid. He’s proven to be able to find talent. But a lot is riding on the performance of men’s basketball especially with going to the BE.

Reaction Score
I’m just excited that staff seems to have been able to make coming here intriguing to kids in our area again. Gotta love capitalizing in your backyard

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A player who several posters consider is behind Whaley taking up a scholarship for four years is a big risk to take in order to have an insurance policy. I’m not saying coach Hurley should not take the kid. He’s proven to be able to find talent. But a lot is riding on the performance of men’s basketball especially with going to the BE.

I don't really view it as an insurance policy. We have Carlton and Akok who can hopefully play down low and grab some boards. Two guys.

Sorry, but if Springs has offers from Creighton, PC, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt, Seton Hall, SJU, Wake and now apparently us, that means a lot more than a BY posters evaluation.

Reaction Score
A player who several posters consider is behind Whaley

yeah i don't get this. i figured it was only because Springs will sometimes be playing out of position as a backup center...but then i remembered whaley isn't a natural center either. have some convinced themselves otherwise over the summer?

Reaction Score
yeah i don't get this. i figured it was only because Springs will sometimes be playing out of position as a backup center...but then i remembered whaley isn't a natural center either. have some convinced themselves otherwise over the summer?
Some boneyarders have convinced themselves over the summer that Whaley is good.

CL82

Reaction Score
Convinced? Probably not. Hope? Definitely.

Personally, I can't help but root for a kid who stays despite limited playing time and puts in the work over the summer. I'd just like to see him get meaningful, productive minutes this year. I think that will happen.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is saying they are convinced he will be able to make the impact we hope he can as a back up. But there are others that are convinced that he will be worthless as a back up. Imagine that?

Someone will be correct in their assumptions!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't really view it as an insurance policy. We have Carlton and Akok who can hopefully play down low and grab some boards. Two guys.

Sorry, but if Springs has offers from Creighton, PC, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt, Seton Hall, SJU, Wake and now apparently us, that means a lot more than a BY posters evaluation.
For all I know Richard could be the next Bonzie Colson as opposed to the next Rakim Lubin.

Some of us are fleshing out the situation. Citing offers is a decent start but if anyone sticks to that as the only validity for the basis of their excitement they might want to consider a slew of conditions for those offers such as when the offer was made and the status of the roster from the offered universities.

Reaction Score
Not everyone you get is going to be great. And you've gotta have the guys whose ceiling might only be to be a good <insert thing they do> off the bench. He adds some size, he's a four year project - maybe has some added upside. Also chance he's a perpetual 10 min. per game guy forever.

I mean at the end of the day I guess it just comes down to what people's expectations are. I'm not sure he's a needle mover in year one. I'm not sure he's the guy who helps us get 2 more wins and get into the tournament. I'm not sure he's a difference maker on a team that's about half full with guys who also aren't real difference makers.

You can hold onto the scholarship and try to get someone better, but holding onto it doesn't mean you're instantly giving it to another five star guy. I mean Kofi Cockburn didn't NOT come here because we lacked scholarships. SO... I dunno.

I err to him being more of the same, although even though his stock has dropped, this guy as a top 70 guy at one point and that's not for nothing.. But he's a roll of the dice.

Reaction Score
Good? He's good at rebounding. He may not do much else, but he can do that. My concern with Springs is that he's being described similarly.

That's kind of my thing. I guess i'm just hesitant to roll the dice on another post-prospect guy who does one thing well but might have the chance of being a 6th/7th man for us some day. I feel like we've had eleventy billion of those the last four years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom