Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Another big body will definitely be beneficial. Carlton and Akok will handle the 4/5. Outside of that we are going to be asking Whaley to be the main backup, who is undersized at the 5 position, and Polley to be the main backup at the 3/4 where he does not have the ideal skill set you want in a 4. Wilson is a slasher and should only be playing the 3.

At this stage in the recruiting I hope Springs reclassifies and we can get some useful minutes from him in the frontcourt. Kind of like what we saw from Whaley in his freshman campaign where he actually showed some flashes.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

As you know, Chief has been a proponent. I like guys who have an offensive rebounding mindset. We have too many guys who can’t shoot threes, but want to live on the three line. Offensive rebounding is a mindset and Richard keeps trying to get closer to the basket. I think even now he uses his body well to protect the ball when he goes up for shots inside. If he can put some muscle on that can become even more of a strength.
What I don’t like sometimes is his assist to turnover ratio. If he was a guard that would be a showstopper. He needs to tighten that up.

Reaction Score
No worse at his position than say Donell Beverly who got a few minutes on some good teams. Whaley can help us when used sparingly and correctly.
Donell Beverly's inefficiencies were overshadowed by elite talent and athleticism surrounding him that doesn't exist with this roster. As a result, Whaley's inefficiencies aren't masked but exposed. Its hard imagining with what we have seen that he will be any help vs a quality opponent. Then again, we might have no choice.

Reaction Score
The difference between the PG and C position is that there is literally no actual center to take Carlton's place if he has foul trouble/injury/etc. We have one true point in Gaffney to replace Alterique if we have to. Neither situation is ideal, but the C situation is worse.

Springs and Whaley could put in some minutes to get us by. Akok might play some against smaller teams in a pinch.

Yes, but in this day and age “Center” isn’t what it used to be. Lots of teams play a traditional PF at center.

If Gaffney is a true PG, great. To my knowledge he’s a SG/combo guard that people think can become a great PG. AG is the only true PG we have as of today unless my sources are wrong.

Reaction Score
As you know, Chief has been a proponent. I like guys who have an offensive rebounding mindset. We have too many guys who can’t shoot threes, but want to live on the three line. Offensive rebounding is a mindset and Richard keeps trying to get closer to the basket. I think even now he uses his body well to protect the ball when he goes up for shots inside. If he can put some muscle on that can become even more of a strength.
What I don’t like sometimes is his assist to turnover ratio. If he was a guard that would be a showstopper. He needs to tighten that up.

Tighten (clap) that (clap) s&$@ (clap) up!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, but in this day and age “Center” isn’t what it used to be. Lots of teams play a traditional PF at center.

If Gaffney is a true PG, great. To my knowledge he’s a SG/combo guard that people think can become a great PG. AG is the only true PG we have as of today unless my sources are wrong.

Gaffney is as much a point guard as Jalen was, or AG Price. He's fine. He was a PG in HS. He's a scoring point, and that's ok. We have Cole coming in, so it's certainly not a priority position at the moment. I think B. Adams would be our 3rd PG off the bench over CV.

Agree center position has changed, and we have extreme length and shotblocking at the 4 with Akok. We can survive with Whaley playing 10 minutes at the 5.

As for Springs, I still don't know what to think. His videos show me he can run the floor and finish on the break. They don't show much else. Given that I think we plan to run, his skill set may generate more offense than we'd expect in a slow half-court game. And defensive rebounding again drives that running game. I haven't seen any comments about outlet passes. If he is naturally good at that, and is a good defender, then I would see why Hurley wants him.

Reaction Score
Sid is the returning player I'm most curious about. So much athleticism, yet he looked lost many times on the court. Understandable given that he joined the team mid-season. But unless Hurley is sandbagging, it doesn't sound that he's making great strides right now.
As always, we should wait and see what happens on the court. But, given the rumblings last fall about his work ethic and attitude, it wouldn't surprise me to see little progress.

Reaction Score
As always, we should wait and see what happens on the court. But, given the rumblings last fall about his work ethic and attitude, it wouldn't surprise me to see little progress.

Wilson had an entire year, redshirting, to figure some things out. Would you expect some rust to have to be shaken off? Sure. But even under the old staff, would you have expected him to be mentally ready to start making decisions at the speed they have to be made in college basketball? Heck yes.

He has the physical talent to succeed. But there have to be serious concerns at this point as to whether he will succeed.

Reaction Score

Well you heard wrong. He's played PG on every team he's been on. At least in the last two years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well you heard wrong. He's played PG on every team he's been on.
Gaffney will be right in the mix this year. Helping to push the ball in transition with his speed and handle, rotating in for AG and running the point, and just being a versatile attacking/shooting part of our offense, and defensively with his quickness and athleticism getting good minutes.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We once won a National Championship with Tyler Olander as our starting 4... just sayin

Reaction Score
wild speculation here

if this is what our lineup and minute distribution looks like by the time we reach conference play we will be dancing again

gilbert (30)--gaffney (16)
vital (30)----adams (8)
bouk (24)---wilson (12)
akok (24)---polley (20)
carlton (26)-springs (10)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dude, it's the Boneyard. Somewhat informed speculation is the off-season bread and butter.

Coming Soon:

OT: What's your favorite bread and butter? For me it's fresh sourdough and Kerrygold Irish butter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're not taking into account that those people are morons.
There are a few posters I respect
Is it November yet?
I want to see the team answer these questions instead of relying on wild speculation here.
BORING!! :cool::cool:

Reaction Score
if this is what our lineup and minute distribution looks like by the time we reach conference play we will be dancing again

gilbert (30)--gaffney (16)
vital (30)----adams (8)
bouk (24)---wilson (12)
akok (24)---polley (20)
carlton (26)-springs (10)

You better hope Whaley makes inroads and puts an impact on the minutes or there will be no dancing. Also Polleys improvement is imperative to being a team with a chance for the dance. Especially if Springs doesn't happen and Carlton gets in foul trouble or injured - Akok can't be playing much more than a piece of the "5" during any games.

Reaction Score
You better hope Whaley makes inroads and puts an impact on the minutes or there will be no dancing. Also Polleys improvement is imperative to being a team with a chance for the dance. Especially if Springs doesn't happen and Carlton gets in foul trouble or injured - Akok can't be playing much more than a piece of the "5" during any games.

Would Springs actually play and have an impact?

Reaction Score
Would Springs actually play and have an impact?

Good question 32. I'm thinking the staff thinks he can bring something to the table of they were to make this happen. But no matter we also need Whaley to build on the small things we've seen him capable of doing, but has never doe consistently or obviously in practice enough to read his time. And Polley needs to rebound the basketball and improve even more on D to make us deeper.

Reaction Score
Good question 32. I'm thinking the staff thinks he can bring something to the table of they were to make this happen. But no matter we also need Whaley to build on the small things we've seen him capable of doing, but has never doe consistently or obviously in practice enough to read his time. And Polley needs to rebound the basketball and improve even more on D to make us deeper.

Yea, I just thinking, freshman, reclass, what's the chance he hits the floor in any meaniful way that leads to something good. Maybe, but freshman big?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
All they would really need out of Springs is to hold his own defensively for short stretches and rebound. Pulley has not offered anything in the way of rebounding which is why I think while he is the perfect stretch 4 size he does not do enough on the glass to move him out of the 3 spot for long stretches.

Whaley at least showed two years ago he was athletic enough and had a nose for the ball at times. Consistency and lack of any offensive game were his glaring weaknesses.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I think they like Springs for 20 also, so why not take a him a year early before he garners more attention. It’s a gamble worth it if Hurley likes his skill set. Wasn’t Bazz a reclassify? The greatest move ever!

Reaction Score
Coming Soon:

What's your favorite bread and butter? For me it's fresh sourdough and Kerrygold Irish butter.

In all seriousness; this is the GOAT bread and butter combo.

Reaction Score
huh? gilbert's injuries are behind him and gaffney will be the second guy off the bench.

center is by the far the biggest weakness
Alterique has not had an injury since Loyola-Marymount on 11/17/2016. He started 2017-18 in pain due to scar tissue from the operation. The pain got worse and forced him to sit out the second half of the Michigan State game.

The press put out the bogus injury line because it made a better story. The next operation was reported as minor with a very high success rate. It removed scar tissue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom