Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A player who several posters consider is behind Whaley taking up a scholarship for four years is a big risk to take in order to have an insurance policy.
By that logic, there are at least as many posters who see him as the answer to 80% of our current shortcomings. Either way, if the staff starts recruiting based on the 'expertise' of the posters on this board, we are in serious, serious trouble.

FWIW, I think that if he can reclass to 19, he's worth a shot. If not, if Hurley's half the coach we expect him to be, this kid might be dead weight before he's done here.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is the answer ya guys like Ryan Gomes and Gary Clark that just torch us.

Reaction Score
That's because Wilson is a pure wing, and only a crazy person would even try to play him at the 4. He's a small forward and that's the only position he should ever play. I think Akok and Polley, plus Whaley, already ensure Wilson never plays PF again.

Same was true of Larrier, and yet our former coach played him at the 4.
Wings are good shooters?

Reaction Score
They list the kid as 6’10
Length is something
Springs is a different look from Akok, Polley, and Wilson. An active big man adds a lot of value. He might be a step up from Whaley as backup center before long, albeit undersized.
He is listed as 6’10 some places
With Carlton, Polley,Akok, Whaley even Wilson, you have to like our length even Bouknight and Adams are big. Hurley might have the pieces in place up front
The only weakness I see is PG
1. An Injury prone Gilbert,
2. Freshman (shudder) Gaffney
Then Pick one ;
CV
Adams (. Wrong first name)
Boukright another Freshman whose a 2
We’re thin at the guard especially if he plays three at once.

pj

Reaction Score
Length is something

With Carlton, Polley,Akok, Whaley even Wilson, you have to like our length even Bouknight and Adams are big. Hurley might have the pieces in place up front
Then Pick one ;
CV

You could just as easily say that one scholarship down and one open, with Whaley, Wilson, and Polley not having shown a lot, we are thin at forward and center. Carlton, Akok, Polley, Wilson, Whaley -- that is one center and one PF shy of a normal roster.

Although we'll be relying heavily on young talent like Akok, Springs, Bouknight, and Gaffney, and that may limit the ceiling in 2019-20, I think it's fair to say that the addition of Springs will give us improved coverage of all needs.

Reaction Score
Length is something

Then Pick one ;
CV
The only weakness you see is point guard. Uhh, Gilbert is our best player.

Reaction Score
The only weakness you see is point guard. Uhh, Gilbert is our best player.

He based the comment on Gilbert’s shoulder. Totally reasonable. We could definitely use another true PG on our bench. Hopefully, Gaffney is ready to play because if Gilbert does run into injury issues, we’ll be back to CV running point and that just isn’t ideal.

Reaction Score
He based the comment on Gilbert’s shoulder. Totally reasonable. We could definitely use another true PG on our bench. Hopefully, Gaffney is ready to play because if Gilbert does run into injury issues, we’ll be back to CV running point and that just isn’t ideal.
He said the only weakness he sees is point guard. This is a team where only Carlton has shown any kind of a pulse in the frontcourt to this point.

Reaction Score
I’d argue that our PG situation is about the same as our center situation now that we’ve added Akok. There isn’t room for the starter to go down at either position. The difference is, AG has a history of getting hurt.

I guess my point is, his post wasn’t at all outrageous or misinformed. He’s just saying, PG is a tough position to fake and we only have one PG unless Gaffney is ready go. I’d rather play 3 wings up front than play someone at PG that just doesn’t have the skill set.

Reaction Score
I’d rather play 3 wings up front than play someone at PG that just doesn’t have the skill set.

This Would make no difference as far as our tourney hopes are concerned. But Assuming everyone’s healthy and we use a three guard lineup with vital and bouk then PG has to be our strongest position. If springs reclassifies maybe I’ll reconsider cause I’m so optimistic about akok.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The difference between the PG and C position is that there is literally no actual center to take Carlton's place if he has foul trouble/injury/etc. We have one true point in Gaffney to replace Alterique if we have to. Neither situation is ideal, but the C situation is worse.

Springs and Whaley could put in some minutes to get us by. Akok might play some against smaller teams in a pinch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A player who several posters consider is behind Whaley taking up a scholarship for four years is a big risk to take in order to have an insurance policy. I’m not saying coach Hurley should not take the kid. He’s proven to be able to find talent. But a lot is riding on the performance of men’s basketball especially with going to the BE.

You're not taking into account that those people are morons.

Reaction Score
Some boneyarders have convinced themselves over the summer that Whaley is good.

No worse at his position than say Donell Beverly who got a few minutes on some good teams. Whaley can help us when used sparingly and correctly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom