Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Richard Springs Power Forward (Heading This Way?)

Reaction Score
What? How did you get that from my post? Bouknight is probably our most talented player.

gotcha. in response to me forecasting a starting three guard lineup of gilbert, vital, and bouknight you said we don't know the lineup for this season. therefore, i inferred that you disagreed with me, so i was trying to clarify which of those three guys you dont think will start. imo gilbert and vital are locks so i guessed you were referring to bouk...

Reaction Score
The backup is almost always a freshman or someone who isn't good. I can't think of a time when we had a veteran PG, another good veteran PG and another freshman PG. Gaffney is perfectly fine as a backup PG.

If Akok goes down we make due with Polley. If Carlton goes down, Whaley? SF is Sid, Adams and Bouk, a freshman. SG is CV Bouk and maybe Gaffney. Basketball teams don't go 2-3 deep with quality at every spot. No UConn team ever has been either.

Way oversimplifying here. Look at all of our good teams over 30 years, they had two point guards, most with experience. The good teams that didn’t had outrageously talented shooting guards like Ben Gordon. (who had a ridiculous handle btw)

Tate and Chris Smith, KO and Sheffer, Khalid and Ricky, Taliek and Ben, Kemba and Shabazz, Shabazz and Boat. (Bazz was a freshman with Kemba, but those are two all time greats, maybe the two greatest)

Look at the teams that fell short, 2006 in particular. We had Marcus Williams and nothing else. That was our Achilles all year. Lack of ball handling and creating beyond Marcus.

AJ’s FF team was great until Dyson went down. Dyson was a rich man’s Christian Vital. He was playing out of his mind alongside AJ before getting hurt. Totally in control. That is the one exception I can see where we didn’t have two PG’s and were really good. That said, Dyson was an animal and he was totally bought into the system that year.

Pinning hopes to a freshman Gaffney just isn’t fair. We are talking about great players here and he hasn’t even played one game. Again, I hope he’s amazing, but just assuming he’d be adequate if AG went down is silly.

I won’t touch the front court situation, but I can tell you if Akok goes down and we just “make do” with Polley, that’s cool but don’t expect many wins. We need to rebound to turn this bus around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Way oversimplifying here

how can you compare this team to 1999, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011, or 2014??? those were championship caliber rosters.

meanwhile, everything needs to break our way in order for us to even make the tourney this year. first and foremost that means everyone stays healthy. if we lose any of our top 7 guys (which includes gaffney) for a significant period then we aren't dancing. simple as that. our hopes are pinned to a lot more than gaffney being our backup PG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"People are beating a dead horse.
I for one think Jalen would do an adequate job at the point. Now let's talk about Springer! "

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Alterique has not had an injury since Loyola-Marymount on 11/17/2016. He started 2017-18 in pain due to scar tissue from the operation. The pain got worse and forced him to sit out the second half of the Michigan State game.

The press put out the bogus injury line because it made a better story. The next operation was reported as minor with a very high success rate. It removed scar tissue.
He didn’t break his eye socket last year?

Reaction Score
Way oversimplifying here. Look at all of our good teams over 30 years, they had two point guards, most with experience. The good teams that didn’t had outrageously talented shooting guards like Ben Gordon. (who had a ridiculous handle btw)

Tate and Chris Smith, KO and Sheffer, Khalid and Ricky, Taliek and Ben, Kemba and Shabazz, Shabazz and Boat. (Bazz was a freshman with Kemba, but those are two all time greats, maybe the two greatest)

Look at the teams that fell short, 2006 in particular. We had Marcus Williams and nothing else. That was our Achilles all year. Lack of ball handling and creating beyond Marcus.

AJ’s FF team was great until Dyson went down. Dyson was a rich man’s Christian Vital. He was playing out of his mind alongside AJ before getting hurt. Totally in control. That is the one exception I can see where we didn’t have two PG’s and were really good. That said, Dyson was an animal and he was totally bought into the system that year.

Pinning hopes to a freshman Gaffney just isn’t fair. We are talking about great players here and he hasn’t even played one game. Again, I hope he’s amazing, but just assuming he’d be adequate if AG went down is silly.

I won’t touch the front court situation, but I can tell you if Akok goes down and we just “make do” with Polley, that’s cool but don’t expect many wins. We need to rebound to turn this bus around.

While I appreciate the post, the '09 Final Four team, besides AJ, had freshman Kemba and Senior Craig Austrie, both of whom could play the point (although Kemba was learning and Austrie was more of a combo). I remember one game when an outstanding Louisville team tried to press, we had all three points on the floor at once for much of the game and we absolutely shredded it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While I appreciate the post, the '09 Final Four team, besides AJ, had freshman Kemba and Senior Craig Austrie, both of whom could play the point (although Kemba was learning and Austrie was more of a combo). I remember one game when an outstanding Louisville team tried to press, we had all three points on the floor at once for much of the game and we absolutely shredded it.

Yes and 2011 needed freshman Lamb to make a mid season leap to be a great team. Every season you roll the dice. You almost never have a roster without question marks. Lots can go right or wrong with this team.

Reaction Score

Good analysis but disagree on a couple of points. Ben Gordon had a terrible handle, he was an athlete and a jump shooter, period. Sometimes his drives to the basket (and misses) were astounding. Didn't lose because Marcus Williams had no backup, lost because Marcus Williams couldn't/wouldn't play a lick of defense.

Reaction Score
Good analysis but disagree on a couple of points. Ben Gordon had a terrible handle, he was an athlete and a jump shooter, period. Sometimes his drives to the basket (and misses) were astounding. Didn't lose because Marcus Williams had no backup, lost because Marcus Williams couldn't/wouldn't play a lick of defense.

1. Ben had a very good handle:

Scouting Report:

“Strengths: A natural scorer with excellent strength and athletic ability.... Has a great understanding of the game and shows superb maturity and decision making..... Level headed, never seems to rush things or get out of control.... His great strength allows him to appear on balance at all times.... Has great ability with the dribble drive and excels in clutch situations....Shoots off the dribble superbly with great fakes to get shots off..... Wants the ball when it matters most. His shooting ability is a real strength..... Has an excellent mid range game and is very adept at getting his shot off on bigger defenders.... Plays bigger than his size with great leaping ability and quickness.... Plays a lot like Piston legend Joe Dumars, with great defensive ability, and shooting stroke.... Finishes well with good touch on the move, and excels in both open floor and half court situations.

Weaknesses: The big knock against him is that he is unproven as a lead guard...... He has a good assist to turnover ratio and excels at the point position, but can he run a team full time? .... He is a natural scorer but may have some trouble trying to take over the point guard postion full time.... Character image took a hit with arrest over slapping a female aquantance. Probably not an indication of his character, but it dosn't help his standing with teams.”

2. Marcus’ defense was the least of our problems. He was the only guy that could create a shot. The next best on the team was Denham. Austrie was far better at not making mistakes than he was at making things happen, Rudy never reached his potential at UConn and that team as a whole had no killer instinct. Marcus had to play the whole game or we gave up the lead. It was unsustainable. A great team on paper but a hard team to feel confident about all season long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. Ben had a very good handle:

Scouting Report:

“Strengths: A natural scorer with excellent strength and athletic ability.... Has a great understanding of the game and shows superb maturity and decision making..... Level headed, never seems to rush things or get out of control.... His great strength allows him to appear on balance at all times.... Has great ability with the dribble drive and excels in clutch situations....Shoots off the dribble superbly with great fakes to get shots off..... Wants the ball when it matters most. His shooting ability is a real strength..... Has an excellent mid range game and is very adept at getting his shot off on bigger defenders.... Plays bigger than his size with great leaping ability and quickness.... Plays a lot like Piston legend Joe Dumars, with great defensive ability, and shooting stroke.... Finishes well with good touch on the move, and excels in both open floor and half court situations.

Weaknesses: The big knock against him is that he is unproven as a lead guard. He has a good assist to turnover ratio and excels at the point position, but can he run a team full time? .... He is a natural scorer but may have some trouble trying to take over the point guard postion full time.... Character image took a hit with arrest over slapping a female aquantance. Probably not an indication of his character, but it dosn't help his standing with teams.”

2. Marcus’ defense was the least of our problems. He was the only guy that could create a shot. The next best on the team was Denham. Freshman Kemba wasn’t ready, Austrie was far better at not making mistakes than he was at making things happen, Rudy never reaches his potential at UConn and that team as a whole had no killer instinct. Marcus had to play the whole game or we gave up the lead. It was unsustainable. A great team on paper but a hard team to feel confident about all season long.
Kemba wasn't on that team. You are 3 years off with him

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
AJ was suspended
Laptop gate. Only time nyhuskyfan ever demonstrated emotion on The Boneyard. He was hands down my favorite poster back then. Made same arguments as @Hoophound about the loss of second ball handler with AJ’s suspension.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom