Providence Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just when you need a laugh…

1677122554370.png

Reaction Score
Whatta win. Probably best of the year. Right there with the W against Marquette 2 weeks ago.

I will say, Hawkins & Co get a lot of 3pt foul opportunities.

Reaction Score
Sadly couldn't watch live but was thoroughly enjoying the occasional box score check. Just watched a replay and WOW, what a game! A few things I was most impressed by:
  • Newton was engaged offensively. Not the greatest percentage, but was active which is a HUGE plus for offensive flow
  • Hawkins started really poorly, but brushed it off and finished strongly for back to back 20 pieces. The biggest jump in his game from last year is his CONFIDENCE
  • Karaban gave up baskets to Hopkins early but recovered so well. Great on-ball and help defense. Played great offensively too with 16 points. I predicted he would get eaten alive, and I am glad to have been very wrong
  • Sanogo is unstoppable 1v1. I forget it every game, and he reminds me every time he is allowed to play 1v1. And he's dunking now???
  • Andre played within himself, and had a great game despite only scoring 4 points. Great defense, great on the boards, and pushed the break very well. The 3 things he's best at
  • Alleyne :)
Flustered their offense down the stretch, dominated the boards, hit 47% of our threes. That's a winning formula!

lol @ Donny Marshall complaining about refs not letting them play after Croswell got called for a foul on Sanogo, but was silent while UConn got called for 10 fouls in 12 minutes

Reaction Score
Well, he was good in spurts but why those 2 reach in fouls and the the foul from behind?
None of those are were “good” fouls and he needs to sharpen it up a bit;
Did like the effort on D and yes, great on 3 ball.
? Alleyne only had 1 personal in the game. Nice game by him.

Reaction Score
Really solid win. Turnovers still make me nervous, but I liked the pace and I think we are at our best when Hurley isn’t directing every play. We have ball players, let them create in transition.

We are starting to really guard, and defense, my fiends, travels.

Reaction Score
Just dropping in here to give credit to the forgone warm up sweats with the smiling husky logo. Eleven NC's between the men and women with that logo. Susie and Warde sold out a nation wide recognized mascot and failed at the Nike dollar.
Nice to kick butt with a smile. ;) Good job by the men tonight.

Reactions: OEX
Reaction Score
Great game from Hawkins. He is really rounding out his game and his left handed layups are smooth. Karaban big but it was nice to see Alleyne come in there and play against Hopkins on defense at times too. Alleyne really is a great defender and the 3 3's are just gravy on top. Good to see Sanogo get out of his funk and Jackson play within himself. 3 shots and no 3's is perfect for him while playing good D. Newton more aggressive even if it didn't show as much in the baskets mad. He does know how to draw fouls. Just great overall D by UCONN in the 2nd half and personally the most impressive win for me considering how tough Providence plays. Can Donny be any more anti-UCONN than any player I have ever seen. I hate when he announces.

Reaction Score
That's as well coached and locked in on offense/defense we looked all year. That's a real tough defensive team and outside of the first 2 minutes where Hopkins went at Karaban it was a total lockdown. And that's a huge response from Karaban to not back down after that

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley's best coached game and our best game of the season.

He changed the offense many games ago and it's made all the difference with the ball not sticking and we found out Sanogo can actually pass. The defense and rebounding was next level.

He relied on the bench and let them play through mistakes. I've been begging for more Clingan minutes all season and Hurley played him through some major freshman struggles he had tonight and he was rewarded for it. Clingan finally had a major sequence to get us to the under 8 and then Adama was as fresh as a daisy to help totally break it open down the stretch.

Providence is a really good team and we destroyed them in every facet of the game. Just an awesome performance by Hurley and the team. That's gotta be big for our confidence for the stretch run.
Sanogo can absolutely pass when facing the rim. I thought it was a bit absurd how we kept harping on him not passing out of a double where he’s trapped in the post and nobody is coming available for a pass. We’ve adjusted to avoid that from happening at all. Has opened up a lot.

Hopefully Donovan can learn to gather himself on those put backs and not rush them. He’s excited and misses them all long. Take a breath, score. It will come. Defense was solid in that stretch, which is what let Hurley leave them in.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pc seemed asleep. they were moving and doing for like 10 minutes, then nada. i wonder if their coach had another agenda, as the tourney seeds are pretty well set. idk.

some one tell the new poster here that the baggies and plastic gloves are on the shelf, in the closet with jonathan's leash hanging from the door handle. his job now. let it run a bit before someone tells him that he can avoid this by sliding a hunster and two cases of budlight to all the members of the mens board.

Reaction Score
Clingan Karaban frontcourt is going to be special.
Agreed. But since I’ve been plenty critical of Sanogo in past games, I’ve got to dish some criticism on Clingan. Not a great day for him with poor hands and poor finishes. It seems he has trouble with a big man that is willing to get after him physically. That’s to be expected as a freshman. By next year, he’s going to be a monster to handle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom