Providence Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Early game Hawk had a few plays not go his way on offense and defense and he just kept up his energy level and broke through. Second half he did look like Rip Hamilton with the speed he was running off screens and the defenders got worn down. We made free throws! The 2 by Donovan coming out of a second half timeout were big for him and the team. The freshman showing mental toughness there. Newton playing like he did is so essential to big wins as the season winds down. He can be a big weapon when he is on. Allyene playing with confidence as is Diarra. Andre played very under control on offense at his warp speed level. That kid can cover ground like few I have seen here. Not focusing on trying for 3's has taken a burden off him. Sanogo came back from his second have rest and turned it up. He was relentless in second half. Donovan affects shots around the rim just being out there. Disrupts the opponents offense. As for the refs, not putting players in foul trouble on ticky tacks in the first half really helps the flow of the game. Then in second half they tighten things up. If this is consistent it would be a good thing.

Reaction Score
For once I completely agree with Donny, no way should Croswell have been called for foul when Adama was repeatedly banging into him to improve position. Either call the offensive foul on Sanogo or let Croswell bang back. I don't know how you are supposed to defend if offensive player can keep initiating contact. See it in the women's game now too. I wouldn't want to defend down low nowadays.
I agree, but I had very little sympathy for Providence or Croswell though. Karaban got two BS calls on him because Croswell did what he does a lot-turn around in the post into his defender and flail his arms out while Karaban stood there with his arms straight up.

Note: I respect Croswell a lot and think he is good tough player who has improved a lot over the years.

Also, what happened to Croswell in that scenario happened to a lot of UConn players in the game at PC. I was at that game. PC was better and deserved the victory as UConn blew a lot of open shots while PC didn't, IMO, but having said that, damn the officiating really did suck in that game.

Reaction Score
Really nothing to complain about in terms of the way we played. There's always opportunities to clean some stuff up, but that was about as complete of a game as you could ask for.

I will say that I hated the way the game was reffed. You can't call nothing in the first half and then call 14 fouls in the first 10 minutes of the second. I try to give refs the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but it's hard to explain that kind of inconsistency
It's tough on the players, too, when they have to play completely differently in the 2nd half. But yesterday's officiating, IMO, was okay, not great, but not bad, but yes it can't be that night in day from the first half to the second half. If you really want to see bad officiating go back to the first game at PC that UConn played in.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I had very little sympathy for Providence or Croswell though. Karaban got two BS calls on him because Croswell did what he does a lot-turn around in the post into his defender and flail his arms out while Karaban stood there with his arms straight up.

Note: I respect Croswell a lot and think he is good tough player who has improved a lot over the years.

Also, what happened to Croswell in that scenario happened to a lot of UConn players in the game at PC. I was at that game. PC was better and deserved the victory as UConn blew a lot of open shots while PC didn't, IMO, but having said that, damn the officiating really did suck in that game.

I don't know what Karaban is expected to do. Feels like he picks up at least 2 fouls per game where his arms are straight up and somebody just bulldozes into him. It seems the only way he's allowed to play defense is to just let the other guy get an uncontested look

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that only happens to AK. Andre always puts his arms up and doesn't get called for it as much, and it doesn't really happen to Sanogo/Clingan either. Very strange

Reaction Score
We go as Andre goes and he was terrific last night
I actually disagree with this. I think the team plays much better with the ball out of his hands and less emphasis on him on the offensive end. I think it helps him too to take the pressure off him by handing the keys to Newton and Hawk instead. Jackson is a great defender, and excellent glue guy and he plays hard 100% of the time.

I think the team plays better when he's not the focus on either end, as it gives Newton the confidence to run the offense his way, frees up the lane on offense by putting him on the baseline, and it simplifies the game for Jackson (doesn't have to worry about shooting or breaking down his man off the dribble). I think the team goes as he goes energy wise, but the team overall is much better when he plays as the ultimate "role player" rather than trying to constantly make him into something he isn't.

Reaction Score
Arrogant, having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

I think that was on display through Ed's entire press conference. He is confusing PeeCee's nice little run with UConn's enduring demonstration of excellence at the championship level. The UConn fan base reflects the team. They energize and support the Huskies at a championship level.

That's what Huskies do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hurley coached well, he seems in control and calmer- the times the camera when to him in the huddle were great and showed his comfort and understanding of the action. It is nice when the team shoots well which they did last night. I like having Sanogo directing the offense up top- the team was moving constantly, the lane is more open, and Sanogo is good at passing from up there. Also, he still was able to move down low and do his power game there. When Clingan was up top, it wasn't as smooth- then again, Adama is more of a shooting threat away from the basket, and he has that much more experience too. Great game!
The refs were ignoring Hurley for the most part. They literally would not look at him in the first half when he attempted to get their attention. Then he was on the receiving end of what I perceive were two warnings in the second half. At one point, they made a questionable call and he near sprinted to the bench and crossed his arms and legs in an attempt to stop himself from blowing his stack.

I haven't rewatched the entire game since being there, but I recall Sanogo having at least two turnovers on bad passes from the top of the key.

Reaction Score
Shout out to DH and staff.. Thought they managed the game very well and closed it out at closing time.. The trend of winning big games at home vs Marq and Providence is encouraging.. Take the show on the road and do the same leading up to BET/March Madness. I did notice that Kimani seemed more animated and involved on the bench last night vs earlier in the season.. Guys feed off of him.

Think DH is starting to figure stuff out that has been keeping some Yarders up at night. At closing time.
Hard to know. Game was not close down the stretch, but they stayed in their offense instead of eating clock until the very end which I appreciated.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Always interesting how the same 20 accounts manage to disappear when we win
I'm sure there are more but I can think of two who have been masquerading as UConn fans recently that haven't posted since yesterday afternoon. I imagine that they'll out themselves soon enough.

Not really sure why someone would troll another fan base, especially under the guise of being one of them, but, to each his own I guess, even if it means behaving like a loser.

Reaction Score
I actually disagree with this. I think the team plays much better with the ball out of his hands and less emphasis on him on the offensive end. I think it helps him too to take the pressure off him by handing the keys to Newton and Hawk instead. Jackson is a great defender, and excellent glue guy and he plays hard 100% of the time.

I think the team plays better when he's not the focus on either end, as it gives Newton the confidence to run the offense his way, frees up the lane on offense by putting him on the baseline, and it simplifies the game for Jackson (doesn't have to worry about shooting or breaking down his man off the dribble). I think the team goes as he goes energy wise, but the team overall is much better when he plays as the ultimate "role player" rather than trying to constantly make him into something he isn't.
100%. Andre for shutdown defense, defensive rebounding and pushing the break but he should be in that dunker spot, setting screens and rolling to the hoop. He should not be dictating the offense and shooting threes. We were so great last night because everyone played to their strengths, when we play to our strengths we're the best team around.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are more but I can think of two who have been masquerading as UConn fans recently that haven't posted since yesterday afternoon. I imagine that they'll out themselves soon enough.

Not really sure why someone would troll another fan base, especially under the guise of being one of them, but, to each his own I guess, even if it means behaving like a loser.

Exaggerate much?

There wasn’t a 30 FT advantage last time either. It just felt that way because we missed so many FTs last time. The advantage last time was 16 more FTs for PC on 7 more fouls called against us.

The big difference this time was that we made our FTs and 3’s rather than missing them at a high rate as we did last time.

Posted without comment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agreed. But since I’ve been plenty critical of Sanogo in past games, I’ve got to dish some criticism on Clingan.
How silly of me. With that set-up, I thought you were going compliment Sanogo!

Reaction Score
Exaggerate much?

There wasn’t a 30 FT advantage last time either. It just felt that way because we missed so many FTs last time. The advantage last time was 16 more FTs for PC on 7 more fouls called against us.

The big difference this time was that we made our FTs and 3’s rather than missing them at a high rate as we did last time.

What an odd shtick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exaggerate much?

Sure. 7 more fouls on UConn, when PC probably committed 10 more fouls in the game. That was the problem. Grabbing, clutching, holding, bumping ball handlers, loads of uncalled moving screens.

Hint for Ed and PC fans, if you hip check a ball handler, and he loses the ball and you steal it without contacting his arm, that's still a foul, even if the Big East doesn't want to call it. Carter had one of those last night on Newton. There were several the prior game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where’s FriarJ now?
On the Providence board posting that he’s discovered that one of them is really secretly a UConn fan, running a long con on all of them.

Apparently Friar actually trolls his own board as well. Amazingly, people actually believe it.

Reaction Score
It's tough on the players, too, when they have to play completely differently in the 2nd half. But yesterday's officiating, IMO, was okay, not great, but not bad, but yes it can't be that night in day from the first half to the second half. If you really want to see bad officiating go back to the first game at PC that UConn played in.
Last night they generally called fouls as they should. I do not understand why people are upset about last night. Yes we got to 8 quickly, but they generally were obvious fouls. As an example, no idea what Diarra was thinking on his. They were all obvious. Other teams bump more (which does lead to some frustration because they generally are uneven there), but we commit so many reach in fouls that are incredibly obvious that where all of the other fouls even out, those foolish reach ins tip the scale against us. I also feel a little dirty debating foul calls after a blowout. Seems small time.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for Ed Cooley, but I don't agree with his assessment in the post game presser that no adjustments were made by UConn for guarding Hopkins. According to him, Hopkins just didn't make shots. Maybe he's just in denial because clearly Karaban played tougher defense on him this time around. He contested his shots, got help when needed, and they made it harder for him to get to the rim, and thusly he didn't get to the free throw line all that much. Oh, and Hopkins didn't get a single rebound but I guess that had nothing to do with the Huskies boxing out more and being more aggressive on the glass.

And I don't think he's in a position to talk about arrogant fans, nor do his supposed observations reflect the majority of Huskies fans. Maybe the more vocal ones? I don't know where he's getting that from.

Reaction Score
What a strange night. If you go through what UConn NEEDS from all 9 guys that play, they really got what they need from all 9 guys last night, nothing more, nothing less! None of them had a great game, but all contributed what we need from them. It's very rare that this happens with any team ever.

Newton - I start with him because he is the key. We don't need him to score a ton, just play aggressively and penetrate
Hawkins - Worked his butt off. Not his best shooting night, but found other ways to score, got to the rim and got his 20 points
Sanogo - Active offensively and defensively, and efficient
Jackson - Just what we need from him. Limited shooting, great energy and defense
Karaban - You can just pencil him in every game for smart play, energy, and 16 points
Alleyne - Just need him for solid backup minutes, and he provided it. 3 pt shooting was a bonus
Diarra - Same thing from him, just need solid backup minutes. Fouls were maddening though
Clingan - Not his best game, but provided solid minutes with a big defensive presence.
Joey C - Not much needed from him last night, so he didn't play much, but was glad to see him make that three late. Hopefully that helps his confidence going forward.

In 90% of games at least one important player is going to have a bad game that requires somebody else to step up and provide more than expected. Last night was not one of those nights.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for Ed Cooley, but I don't agree with his assessment in the post game presser that no adjustments were made by UConn for guarding Hopkins. According to him, Hopkins just didn't make shots. Maybe he's just in denial because clearly Karaban played tougher defense on him this time around. He contested his shots, got help when needed, and they made it harder for him to get to the rim, and thusly he didn't get to the free throw line all that much. Oh, and Hopkins didn't get a single rebound but I guess that had nothing to do with the Huskies boxing out more and being more aggressive on the glass.

And I don't think he's in a position to talk about arrogant fans, nor do his supposed observations reflect the majority of Huskies fans. Maybe the more vocal ones? I don't know where he's getting that from.
I like Ed Cooley a lot as well, but his comments didn't sit well with me. A simple look at the box score, not any advanced analytics, and watching the first game at PC, it's easy to see why Hopkins scored so many points: Free throws 13-15. Did you he get fouled some sure, but I can tell you he and Croswell barrel into their defenders and created all the contact and the UConn players got called-it was ridiculous. I was at that game UConn got called for ticky tack stuff when the Friar players would collide with the UConn players and slip to the floor due to the condensation on the court caused by the unusually warm weather in Providence that day.

Hopkins is a great player that I respect, but come on Ed, you mean to tell everyone that your players just stopped giving him the ball for no reason and that UConn had nothing to do with it? And Hopkins had zero rebounds. Providence is a very good team that I respect, but the truth is they have not done much away from home court, even the people on Friar Talk forum begrudgingly admit this.

I wonder what PC's FTA/FGA ratio is home vs away. For every team it is better at home than away, however I wouldn't be surprised if PC's gap is greater.

Reaction Score
This particular night (last night).. Ed and his guys got spanked pretty good from the tip to the final buzzer.. A "pants around the ankles" moment. DH was on top of his game with a crazy hometown crowd and his guys were prepared and performed.

Next step for us.. To perform this way in big games away from home in BET and in the Tournament.. We may see Providence again at the Garden.. Should be a fun ride.. Think we're ready..

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
1. Figuring out AJAX and what to do with him on the offensive end really is connected IMO to how well we do offensively on any given night. Lately; he and Hurley are starting to use him in a way that allows our offense to not be double teamed and bottled up. Keep him near the basket, flowing in and out for dunks/close layups and use him on fast breaks. Teams have to respect him in those areas. He runs the floor like a deer. Keep him away from 3pt line. Teams see him there and flow away from him thus double teaming everyone else.
To me, this is the most important adjustment on offense that hurley has made. Well said.

Reaction Score
Sure. 7 more fouls on UConn, when PC probably committed 10 more fouls in the game. That was the problem. Grabbing, clutching, holding, bumping ball handlers, loads of uncalled moving screens.

Hint for Ed and PC fans, if you hip check a ball handler, and he loses the ball and you steal it without contacting his arm, that's still a foul, even if the Big East doesn't want to call it. Carter had one of those last night on Newton. There were several the prior game.

I’ll be honest, I thought the game was over when PC was in the bonus 5 minutes into the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom